Valium

[Or...]

So,hello long story short - recovering alcoholic,when i was 27 i got clean with horrible with. I did it cold turkey ,ended up at hospital,i was sober for 3 years but since last august,relapsed 3x ,heavy binge drinking for 15 days ,same story hospital etc...now ,i relapsed a month ago and when i went out of hospital GP gave me valium i was first 7 days on 2mg 3x daily ,week after 12mg daily 4mg morning 4 mg noon and 4mg evening ,im back at work ,gym balanced diet etc ,u just need advice if i should taper down slowly (it will ne soon 4th week on it daily) still taking 12mg daily,plus im taking mitrazapine one before bed,diazepam helping a lot,i used to smoke weed a lot too,caffein too,but i quit it all since im detoxed from hospital ,im worried coz as i can see my personality is addictive (or its all just in my head) i want to quit diazepam asap and gp told me to taper down,for example 4mg morning 2mg noon 4 evening for week then 4mg morning 2mg noon 2mg night so on..i iknow i sound "silly" coz of ppl got problems with benzos for years ,me only first weeks ,i will welcome all respond.thank you

[1e...]

Hello OrbitralGate,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you are here!  Relapses in recovery are not uncommon but it good to hear you are back at it.  We suggest a slow taper of 5-10% of your total dose every two weeks or so to minimize withdrawl symptoms.  However, short-term users can sometimes go slower so if you decide to try and tolerate the 2mg dose reduction your doctor recommends, then that plan would work.  You might want to look at our Taper Plan board whatever the case:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Take a bit to look around and get settled in here.  Let us know how we can help.

Again, welcome,

Kate

Hello,so i was speaking with my GP today and we (she)decided start tomorrow with 2mg reduction each week

So i will take 2mg each 3 hours until friday,then if everythings good 2mg again down,im working very hard physically so i i will get tired and plus mitrazapine should

help also ,thanks a lot for answer and have a lovely day.

Also i wanted to ask any supplement could be useful such as gaba penton,ginko leaf or kava kava etc.

Hello,so i was speaking with my GP today and we (she)decided start tomorrow with 2mg reduction each week

So i will take 2mg each 3 hours until friday,then if everythings good 2mg again down,im working very hard physically so i i will get tired and plus mitrazapine should

help also ,thanks a lot for answer and have a lovely day.

This plan is a little more aggressive than we like to see but I fully support your desire to be rid of the Valium sooner rather than later.  I'm a recovering alcoholic and started taking benzo's 8 years into my sobriety and it led me right back into addiction so I get where you're coming from.  I quit cold turkey and even though I didn't know it wasn't advised to do this I feel it was for me the only way to be free.

If you begin to feel really bad symptoms from your 2 mg reductions you have the option to slow it down if your Dr agrees, we don't want to see you suffer too much.

Also i wanted to ask any supplement could be useful such as gaba penton,ginko leaf or kava kava etc.

I didn't take supplements but some members swear by them, others say it makes things worse so do your homework.  You can find many discussions on this board, you could search or ask in a post.  Alternative Therapies & Supplements

Im/was on 12mg per day "only" since 28 may so its been 18 days on it ,so as i did tons of googling my brain and body should not be so "hooked" before that 7 days on 2mg 3x daily ,i hope it will go good ,plus its not just tapering down but i will be probably still anxios from last drinking (16 may).

I will stay positive,if i would have really unpleasent symptoms should i contact right away gp and try to reduce bymaybe 1mg ? Thanks for answer

I agree that a quick taper would be best given your short time on the drug and I've seen short term members recover faster than the long term so I'm hoping the same will be true in your case.

Yes, if 2 mg proves to be too much then 1 mg reduction a week might be better.  The thing is, Valium is so long acting you may not know how bad you're going to feel until you make your next reduction so you could get hit doubly hard.  I'm not trying to scare you, just educate.  :)

I like your determination to stay positive, keep riding that pink cloud!  ;)

[1e...]
OrbitalGate, I agree with your plan but some of us had to tweak things as we went along.  In many ways this whole tapering thing is a big experiment!  Just let us know if you get stuck and need help!