Clonazepam taken only at night for sleep

[Am...]

I've been taking clonazepam since 2008 for a rem sleep disorder. Was taking 1mg nightly along with 12.5 mg Seroquel.  Over this winter, I got sick with gastritis and started having more trouble sleeping. I got myself into a situation now of becoming tolerant to higher doses. I'm in the process of trying to taper back down. I've read the Ashton method of switching over to valium. But can't get behind the concept of how taking a benzo during the day, afternoon and evening is the solution.

Hello  Amperex :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

We are glad you are here. You are making a great decision in tapering off clonazepam. The best way to come off benzodiazepines is a slow taper if you've used them for an extended length of time.  The suggested taper rate is 5/10% every 10/14 days.  Some of us need to taper more slowly,  you can adjust the rate to meet your needs.  Choose a taper that you are comfortable with.  You can learn more about tapering on our taper plans board, and you will receive plenty of support and encouragement here.

I am glad you are familiar with the Ashton Manual, you will find It is a valuable resource for learning about benzos and the effect these drugs have on our body.  As well as taper/withdrawal information, it lists  possible withdrawal symptoms symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita