New to all of this

[St...]

I have had anxiety my whole life. In the last couple years, it's gotten out of control. I have tried multiple SSRI'S with no luck. I was on Xanax most recently. 25mg 3x a day. Now they switched me to clonazepam .25mg 2x a day. I don't want to be on these things. Yes, they help with the panic/anxiousness but they also fuel it as I am terrified of them. I am looking for support, found this site and hopefully it helps.

Hello StuggleBus1989, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm sorry you suffer with anxiety but I'm glad you're wary of benzodiazepines, they can turn on you fairly quickly.  Can I ask, do you feel any different on the Clonazepam dose, according to the equivalency charts we use, the dose you were prescribed is less than the Xanax dose, they're pretty much the same strength. 

How long have you been taking the Xanax and the Clonazepam, this will help us figure out if you're running the risk of becoming dependent. 

We typically suggest a reduction of about 5-10% every week or two depending on your symptoms, they should guide you.  I'll give you some links to the forum to get you started but please let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The medication change was because on the Xanax I was up and down all day because it was so short acting. I have been taking the xanax daily for roughly 2 months. The clonazepam I just started today. They just switched me. No taper or anything. Just one to the other.

The Clonazepam is longer acting and will be the better to taper from however if your body has grown dependent on the Xanax, you've already made a huge reduction in dose.  Please let us know how you're feeling when you can.

I'm very anxious with all the physical symptoms. Woke up to chest pain, shaky, cold, etc. I didn't know, nor was I told, that I actually reduced dosage?? They said one to the other would be fine!

I would suggest calling your doctor to report what you're feeling and ask if you can increase your dose of Clonazepam by another .25 in order to stabilize, then we can talk about a slow taper that should let you remain functional.

Equivalency charts vary but this is what we use. https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

She said to give it the weekend and if I don't improve to take two .25mg at one time. I'm currently taking .25mg twice a day. 8am and 8pm. I'm miserable

Your body has obviously grown dependent on this drug in the 2 months you've been taking it, I've seen it happen in as little as 10 days. 

Taking .50 at one time will most likely give you some relief, but does she say you can take another dose of .25 if interdose withdrawal creeps in?  Her plan seem unnecessarily cruel.

That's the only information I was given. Our Healthcare system is so overwhelmed I don't even see her again until July 27th. This is madness. I have no clue what the plan is! I feel like I was better off on the xanax. I can deal with the ups and downs, this is horrible.  :-[

I hope you can get through to your doctors office today to get authorization to take more than what is written on your prescription since we don't want to see you run out before its time to refill.  Would it help to refer them to our equivalency chart?

You'll actually be better off with the Clonazepam since it's longer acting, the interdose withdrawal will be less, you just need to be taking the equivalent amount which would be .75 mg per day.

Your body will eventually stabilize on the new dose, we just don't know how long it will take.  When we suggest taper rates we tell people to reduce every week or two so symptoms have a chance to settle down before the next reduction.  Hopefully things will begin to even out for you in a few days, I'm sorry, I wish I could be more definite.