Gloria A's Intro

[Gl...]

Hello:

I'm ashamed to say I've been here before. I ended up having to go to the hospital with a breakdown due to Covid-related stress at the beginning of this May, i.e. last month, and was given first Ativan, then valium (because I asked for it as I know about the Ashton Manual that it's easier to taper) an SSRI and anti-psychotic.

The benzo and anti-psychotic are meant to be temporary until the SSRI kicks in.

I was on a benzo equivalent of 2.5 mg to 5 mg for 10 days.

Then, on 3.75 mg valium for 4 days

Then, 3 mg valium for 3 days

Then 2 mg valium for 11 days.

The doctor wants me off the valium. I want to be off the valium. So, I'm here to get support.

[96...]

Hello Gloria A, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am glad you are here!  Oh goodness, there is no shame in what has happened with you.  From what I hear, Covid can be terribly rough!  How are you doing now after having it?  I hope you'll have no lingering effects from it.  And hopefully you will do okay with a quick benzo taper since you weren't on benzos very long.  You can reach out for withdrawl support with this link:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Take a bit to look around and get settled in.  Let us know how we can help you.

Again, welcome,

Kate

Hello Gloria A, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am glad you are here!  Oh goodness, there is no shame in what has happened with you.  From what I hear, Covid can be terribly rough!  How are you doing now after having it?  I hope you'll have no lingering effects from it.  And hopefully you will do okay with a quick benzo taper since you weren't on benzos very long.  You can reach out for withdrawl support with this link:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Take a bit to look around and get settled in.  Let us know how we can help you.

Again, welcome,

Kate

I actually did not get Covid, just the entire situation related to various Covid things where I live put me over the edge :-( 

You asked how I can be helped? Well, right now, I am not sure how to proceed.  I have been on the benzo for about 27 days, and am now at 2 mg valium, which I've been on for 11 days.  I'm thinking of cutting soon, but I am not yet stabilized from the SSRI I was put on (plus zyprexa, which I am supposed to taper later).

Should I make a tiny cut, e.g. go down to 1.5.  I do not want to stay on the valium any longer than I have to, but if I am not that stable on the other drugs, is it a good idea to stay just a bit longer?

G.

[96...]

Oh good, I'm glad you didn't have Covid, guess I misread your Intro!

I do see your dilemma about whether or not to taper.  It can take 6-8 weeks for an SSRI to be full effective.  Which feels more right to you, going ahead and doing a tiny cut or waiting?  I don't think there is a cut and dried answer to this but if you still feel really shaky, then waiting would make sense. 

Thanks Kate for your advice and such a nice welcome!

I think I will wait until tomorrow when I am supposed to have an appointment with my doctor.  I want to make sure she will prescribe enough valium pills so I can taper properly.  I think if I do cut, from the 2 mg, I will try to dry cut and take 1.5. I am not confident enough to cut a whole mg.

Thanks again!

[96...]

Thanks Kate for your advice and such a nice welcome!

I think I will wait until tomorrow when I am supposed to have an appointment with my doctor.  I want to make sure she will prescribe enough valium pills so I can taper properly.  I think if I do cut, from the 2 mg, I will try to dry cut and take 1.5. I am not confident enough to cut a whole mg.

Thanks again!

This sounds like a great plan!  Sometimes when we pause, the next step becomes clear.  We normally advise a slow taper of no more than 10% of you dose every two weeks or so but short-term users can sometimes go faster.  I hope your appt with your doc goes favorably.  :thumbsup: