Clonazepam tapering help

[hk...]

Hello,

I recently joined BenzoBuddies for the support I am going to need with starting my tapering journey. I have been doing a ton of research prior to starting and so many people have said to come here. So here I am :)

I have been on Clonazepam for 14 years after losing my wife. I was put on it after suffering a severe panic attack, anxiety and sleep issues.

I currently take 1mg per day ---- 0.5mg in the morning and 0.5mg before bed.

I approached my doctor to discuss wanting to get off this medication and he supported my decision. The problem is that I feel his plan is way too aggressive and dangerous. He wants me to reduce my dose by 0.250mg (25%) every two weeks. He said I would be off it in 2 months. After all my research up to now, I feel that's not the right decision. What I'm looking for is help with creating a tapering plan and to meet people that I can count on for support while I go through this. I know is going to be tough. I have purchased the 0.001mg scale in preparation for this taper. Any and all advice/support would be Greatly appreciated.

Thank you

[b4...]

Hello hkyplyer,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! Congratulations on your decision to taper off clonazepam.  We're so glad you found the forum - you'll find lots of good information, support and encouragement here from others who understand what it's like to go through this process.

It sounds like you're interested in information about taper plans.  A good place to start is the board on Planning Your Withdrawal. You will learn a lot and when you're ready, you can post questions about your own taper plan:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

As you consider what plan would work best, you might want to read the Ashton Manual, an excellent resource about benzodiazepine tapering and withdrawal by Dr. Heather Ashton.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field - she suggests reducing your dose by no more than 5% or 10% every 1-2 weeks.  Some people find it works better for them to taper even more slowly.

Here is the link for the manual:

The Ashton Manual

Again, we're glad you found us.  Please let us know how we can help you.

Again, welcome,

Kate

Hi Hkyplyer,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! I too had a doctor that wanted me off my med quite fast after over 20 years on it. Luckily I found this site and another doctor who thought a much slower pace more reasonable.

I'm sorry for the loss of your wife.

You sound very prepared so I think you will do well on this journey.

I come to the site for my daily med of connection with others who are healing themselves from these drugs while also supporting each other.

Jump in and ask questions and find a thread or threads you want to be a part of.

Cheers,

Kachina