Hallucinating

[12...]

Hello,im 16months off and been experiencing intense stress over the past 4 months and still continuing ,this resulted in me having horrific hallucinations,is this schizophrenia?Im so afraid,i have already experienced hallucinations already but it was one year ago,fora year i didnt have them,they were induced by high stress levels that were continuing for 4 months.Is this normal or schizophrenia?Im also just 24 years old,afraid i might be developing it :(

It sounds like a typical setback from stress not schizophrenia to me. Stressful events can cause symptoms to come back, and you said you've already experienced hallucinations in the past. It will pass in time, hopefully soon

My doctor and I had this discussion when I was in acute.  I have never had them again.  He told me that someone who is schizophrenic does not know they are hallucinating or delusional.  Because you are under stress and aware of them makes it sound like withdrawal to me.  Ask your doctor.

Prob stress, and def not schizophrenia. This is my clinical experience talking. I know you're scared. What are things that ground you and reduce stress for you? Can you eliminate any triggers right now? :smitten:

I’ve had hallucinating during BWD. I haven’t had them previously.  It’s my understanding it can be part of BWD

Hello,im 16months off and been experiencing intense stress over the past 4 months and still continuing ,this resulted in me having horrific hallucinations,is this schizophrenia?Im so afraid,i have already experienced hallucinations already but it was one year ago,fora year i didnt have them,they were induced by high stress levels that were continuing for 4 months.Is this normal or schizophrenia?Im also just 24 years old,afraid i might be developing it :(

There's nothing scarier than hallucinating and hearing voices, and it's easy to think you're stuck with it.  I hallucinated with alcohol withdrawal, and from what I hear, there are similarities to benzo withdrawal.  Honestly, I thought they'd never go away.  I checked into the psych hospital for a few days.  It really helped me through.  They went away permanently.  Hang in there.  It's withdrawal, is my best guess.

I kept seeing faces in EVERYTHING for ages, it was scaring the hell out of me. I still often see things out of the corners of my eyes that aren't there and my brain interprets it as figures of people. I hate it ;\.

I kept seeing faces in EVERYTHING for ages, it was scaring the hell out of me. I still often see things out of the corners of my eyes that aren't there and my brain interprets it as figures of people. I hate it ;\.

Hamburgertime, that happened to me as well.  I kept seeing things out of the corners of my eyes that my brain interpreted as figures of people, mostly dead ones.  It was totally freaky! 

Im scared because i went to a psychiatrist and he told me i have schizophrenia and need to take medications permanently and if not,apparently my intellect is going to drop permanently every time im going to experience hallucinations.This life is hard

Hallucinations in my guess might and should be a withdrawal symptom.And also thinking that you may have a mental illness of some sort is also a withdrawal symptom.

I once freaked out after being diagnosed with schizo affective disorder by a physiatrist who had just met me for minutes.It's sad.

Im scared because i went to a psychiatrist and he told me i have schizophrenia and need to take medications permanently and if not,apparently my intellect is going to drop permanently every time im going to experience hallucinations.This life is hard

I wouldn't rush into accepting a diagnosis of schizophrenia 123Ema.

123Ema, I 100% agree with deadwoodgone.  I would wait before accepting that diagnosis.  I had WD hallucinations for a while.  It takes time, but they went away.  I'm SO glad I didn't get on any meds for schizophrenia.

Yes, avoid antipsychotics if you are at all able.  They are needed in some cases, but need to be considered wisely.  :smitten:

I hallucinate in BWD & am

Definitely not schizophrenic.  I wouldn’t be racing for any meds.  Did you hallucinate before Benzo WD? 

Absolutelly did not hallucinate before benzos. Im better now,i took antipsychotics for several days,which helped with hallucinations,but did  make me feel uncomfortable being on them in general.Now i found a supplement which calms me down,i dont need the medications anymore for now.The supplements is called NAC,helpfull for me,at least for now  :smitten:  If i could,i would take it indefinitelly.It works by lowering glutamate.And glutamate is what causes anxiety

Absolutelly did not hallucinate before benzos. Im better now,i took antipsychotics for several days,which helped with hallucinations,but did  make me feel uncomfortable being on them in general.Now i found a supplement which calms me down,i dont need the medications anymore for now.The supplements is called NAC,helpfull for me,at least for now  :smitten:  If i could,i would take it indefinitelly.It works by lowering glutamate.And glutamate is what causes anxiety

This is great news.  I'm glad you're doing better, 123Ema.  Thanks for mentioning NAC.  I may give it a try and see if it helps with sleep.  Thanks for keeping us posted. :smitten:

[1d...]

I am so sorry! That sounds scary. When you say hallucinations, what do you mean? There are a lot of different types. For example, seeing something out of the corner of your eye, seeing movement that isn't there, hearing things that aren't real.

In schizophrenia, the main difference is that in most cases there is a break from reality. Meaning that the hallucinations are perceived as real, and you do not realize that they are not real. It sounds like you recognize them as being unreal, and for this reason, unlikely schizophrenia.

Unfortunatelly i feel kind of ''ill '' again.Im experiencing hallucinations again,but not as intense.My sleep is very short aswell. I actually thought my hallucinations were real,because they were very intense, but i still decided to take medications for it. Now i understand they are not real.Im afraid im actually going to be developing an illness from benzo withdrawal:/ Genetically im not predisposed. It sucks because i took antidepressants for sh*tty breakup,then ended up having panic attacks from sertraline,got prescribed xanax to manage them,took them for 5 years and now withdrawals made me develop schizophrenia,it really sucks,because if i wouldnt have started antidepressants which i actually almost wanted not to,i wouldnt even be where i am today.I am incapacitated from this and cant even hold a job,im even on disability from this.It shouldnt be this way for none of us.Im 25 and already suffering with health

[1d...]
Meganz is your age with a somewhat similar history of benzo use. She was taken off in detox and suffered a lot but is now nearly healed if not totally healed. You should chat with her.

Did you have hallucinations before taking benzos?

Did you have hallucinations before STOPPING benzos?

What exactly did you see or hear, can you give an example for the hallucinations - did you hear voices...?

123Ema,

It is likely that your hallucinations are due to BWD than to schizophrenia but I can't say for sure. I'm not a Dr. I am also on disability and I understand your struggles. I hope that as your brain heals these experiences get better and go away. Thanks for the tip on the NAC. I have never heard of it. Based on all the other stories I have read on here, there is no place to go but up and your symptoms should lesson over time until your healed. Time heals the brain.

Have a great Saturday  :)

HM

No,i did not have hallucinations before benzodiazepines ever. They were about aliens wanting to abduct me...Embarassing to even say  :laugh:

123Ema,

Nothing to be embarrassed about. I hope you're feeling better today. Have as good a Sunday as you can.

HM

Our brains are not our own in BW

I see “ghosts” in white aura. People that aren’t really there. Crawling bugs.

But then sometimes I do not see the things/people that are real and in front of me. WTHeck?

I wouldn’t jump to take new drugs. psych’s are too quick to diagnose and prescribe

That’s what they do! They think they know it all. I think most know little.