Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Withdrawal

[Ch...]

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. Benzo buddies has pretty much destroyed my life. This whole thing about going months and years in a hardly functional state is insane. I was one that should have not stop taking the medication. My life will never be the same after the crippling anxiety, disassociated state and suicidal thoughts. I wish I never heard of this site as my OCD went into over drive. I waited for nearly 2 years and destroy my body, caused problems in my relationship, almost got a divorce and it affected my kids. Stop listening to people that don’t have a clue about mental healthcare disorders. I wish I had my life back and my body back. Use caution.... It’s better to have a life than destroying it over a medication that you may actually need.

Given that this site "pretty much destroyed your life" why are you back? You "wish you had never heard of this site" . . . yet here you are. Back again.

And I've yet to read anything credible (can you give us a link to a study) about anyone "needing" benzos. If you're here to tell us a cautionary tale, you need to do more than just complain. Show us the references.

Again, I ask . . . why are you here?

Katz

I’m here to warn about the dangers. Yes some can get off without to much trouble but if your having a hard time don’t try to tough it out. I’ve lost 3 years of my life to trying get off of benzos that my doctor prescribed for anxiety. Don’t suffer is what I am saying. I couldn’t barely function or think much less get help. Listen to your body and get help. It’s not worth killing yourself to get off especially if you were on it for anxiety or panic attacks.

I’m here to warn about the dangers.

Except you haven't mentioned what these so-called "dangers" are?

Yes some can get off without to much trouble but if your having a hard time don’t try to tough it out.

Pardon me if I choose to disagree with your defeatist attitude. I'm a fighter, and fighters succeed.

I’ve lost 3 years of my life to trying get off of benzos that my doctor prescribed for anxiety.

I lost 15 months of mine being prescribed them, by an idiot doctor who never considered my hypomagnesemia might be why I was having the 'psychiatric' problems I was having. The new instructions required for doctors before prescribing benzos, as a result of the FDA black boxing them last Fall, says they should rule out physical causes. My idiot psychiatrist knew it, but chose to ignore it, diagnose me with something I didn't have, and prescribe poison to a critically ill patient, then lied and said I'd have no trouble stopping them. My Endocrinologist was furious that this happened to me. Now I'm losing more years (I'm hoping a little over a year) getting off.

Don’t suffer is what I am saying. I couldn’t barely function or think much less get help. Listen to your body and get help.

I suffered while I was on them, they made my Autism worse, my executive functioning skills went out the window, and they didn't stop my hypomagnesemia induced symptoms. I listened to my body and got help. I went through the FDA approval process to import an Orphan Drug called Netazepide from a research facility in London, UK. It fixed the cause of my hypomagnesemia. The panic and anxiety stopped. I fired the behavioral health clinic treating me, and now see a Psych Nurse Practitioner. She doesn't prescribe benzos, and is happy to help me get off this poison.

Many buddies say they ended up worse as a result of being on them, they lose their effectiveness, caused inter-dose withdrawals, they needed progressively more, the longer they took them. Simply put, they no longer worked, and their body was telling them this.

It’s not worth killing yourself to get off especially if you were on it for anxiety or panic attacks.

There are other, safer, treatments for those conditions. SSRI/SSNRI's are much safer. That's what I was given in the 1990's, when I had Nocturnal Panic Attacks due to PTSD from being hit by a drunk driver and becoming disabled for life. I took them for 2 years, weaned myself off, panic attacks never returned.

If your life is so destroyed, and you blame Benzo Buddies, then go back on the benzos. What's stopping you, if you think you should never have gone off them? No one forced you to come here, no one forced you off. You made a decision, you regret you made it. So take your own advice, listen to your body, and get help. But don't make blanket statements that quitting benzos is dangerous. 

I’m here to warn about the dangers. Yes some can get off without to much trouble but if your having a hard time don’t try to tough it out. I’ve lost 3 years of my life to trying get off of benzos that my doctor prescribed for anxiety. Don’t suffer is what I am saying. I couldn’t barely function or think much less get help. Listen to your body and get help. It’s not worth killing yourself to get off especially if you were on it for anxiety or panic attacks.

Yeah,yeah, yeah. I get it. You suffered terribly. So what? We're  all suffering on here. You're not the only one. And we sure don't need you telling us (wait a minute . . . you're supposed to not be prescriptive on here, no?) what to do.

Just fyi, I suffered the torments of hell, as did many on here. But I toughed it out -- I'm a fighter like benzolottie. I got off the drugs, and I have a much better life. If I'd listened to you (such great advice -- "don't suffer") I would have done what? Stayed on my benzo? You have to be kidding. I was having a hard time but I pushed through. I toughed it out. And I'm glad I did.

Please keep your advice to yourself. We don't need it. Yeah, you wish you had done things differently. Too bad. But you're you. Haven't you learned from being on here before that everyone's different? We all have our own paths to walk. You can't know anyone else's reality -- only yours.

Katz

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. Benzo buddies has pretty much destroyed my life. This whole thing about going months and years in a hardly functional state is insane. I was one that should have not stop taking the medication. My life will never be the same after the crippling anxiety, disassociated state and suicidal thoughts. I wish I never heard of this site as my OCD went into over drive. I waited for nearly 2 years and destroy my body, caused problems in my relationship, almost got a divorce and it affected my kids. Stop listening to people that don’t have a clue about mental healthcare disorders. I wish I had my life back and my body back. Use caution.... It’s better to have a life than destroying it over a medication that you may actually need.

Hello Chinadoll90,

I regret that your participation at BenzoBuddies was not a positive experience for you. But I am not at all sure why you feel BB is to blame for all that has occurred to you. Although many (or most) of our members are determined to quit benzodiazpines for a variety of reasons, and they will tend to be - understandably - rather against this class of drugs, BB is not, actually, an 'anti-benzo site'. Our Mission Statement (which appears at the top of our home page):

http://www.benzobuddies.org/

Mission Statement

BenzoBuddies: an inclusive, nonjudgmental mutual-support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines.

Members of the BenzoBuddies community are encouraged to exchange ideas, information and support during the process of withdrawal and recovery.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, members are free to discuss their wider medical problems and needs as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

Taking or quitting any medicine—including benzodiazepines—should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

Through a peer-support model, we strive to help members achieve their goals.

BB is not for everyone. It is not for us to decide if you or anyone else should quit benzodiazepines. Indeed, as you say, some people might feel better (in the round) taking, sticking on, or returning to their benzodiazepine meds. And if this is the case, they are supported too.

It may not be obvious to you, but I own this website. I have, many times, written about this matter. We even had a forum administrator make the informed decision to reinstate his benzodiazepines a couple of years ago - you can read the thread he started here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=226194.0

I do sympathise, but I do not think it fair that you blame BenzoBuddies for all your problems or decision to quit your medication. At the same time, though, members should respect your decision to reinstate - some of the responses here are suggestive that this might not be the case. But you did rather come in here guns blazing, so robust push-back from people who are generally very motivated to quit benzodiazepines probably should come as little surprise.

I am glad to hear that you seem happier with how things are for you now. The aim of all of us should be to be the best we can. And yes, for some, taking benzodiazepines - despite their downsides - might well be the better option.

Good luck to you,

Colin.

I agree with Colin. I don’t see how you can blame BB. I don’t see any mention of a doctor. We’re you not receiving medical care? I have been on Benzos for many years. I was forced to taper. It is a rough journey. From all the support here, it makes me feel a lot better. No one is forcing you to act on anyone’s suggestions.

But you did rather come in here guns blazing, so robust push-back from people who are generally very motivated to quit benzodiazepines probably should come as little surprise.

Colin.

Came in with guns blazing, and hasn't so much as chirped since. Much ado about nothing.

Yeah,yeah, yeah. I get it. You suffered terribly. So what? We're  all suffering on here. You're not the only one. And we sure don't need you telling us (wait a minute . . . you're supposed to not be prescriptive on here, no?) what to do.

Just fyi, I suffered the torments of hell, as did many on here. But I toughed it out -- I'm a fighter like benzolottie. I got off the drugs, and I have a much better life. If I'd listened to you (such great advice -- "don't suffer") I would have done what? Stayed on my benzo? You have to be kidding. I was having a hard time but I pushed through. I toughed it out. And I'm glad I did.

Please keep your advice to yourself. We don't need it. Yeah, you wish you had done things differently. Too bad. But you're you. Haven't you learned from being on here before that everyone's different? We all have our own paths to walk. You can't know anyone else's reality -- only yours.

Katz

Yes Wow. I’m hoping that she generalized and just isn’t great at communicating what she’s expressing via written word - very unempathetic to paint with such a wide brush; a Site like this that many people feel has saved them and brought them invaluable support.

I was thinking today that many people prescribed Benzos in the first place are probably deeply feeling and thinking/ intelligent- So, probably know to be careful what they take in or read on here or anywhere. I’ve started reading a few posts and just automatically knew it wouldn’t benefit where I’m at and might give thoughts I don’t need to worry about, so I simply clicked out and found something more helpful for my situation. The abundance of varied info here is amazing. I read the poetry section today and cried- beautiful! ❤️

Why anyone would “Blame” this site for taking advice too closely instead of self-monitoring is just kinda non-sensical. No offence China Doll but you’re anger and blame is very misplaced, and I hope you’ve learned to be more selective that what you read is good for your situation and have the intelligence to click out if it’s not helpful but emotionally too much for you.

👌🏻🏻

Irrespective of the specific rights or wrongs of Chinadoll90's comments to this thread, there is a valid point underling what she wrote. That is to say, too many people project their personal (medical) experiences onto others. It happens all over the Net, and is even understandable. But it is also wrong. And this is why we have rules, guidelines and a Mission Statement which attempt to instill respect for the autonomy of other members (in consultation with their doctors) in decisions regarding their health.

I do not think Chinadoll90's criticisms are very fair to BB and its members. And it seems that she has been through a lot. We also know - generally speaking - that our interlocutors can be careless and overly certain about what might be right for us in our medical care (projection). So I understand why she might feel the way she does.