I'm free! Two weeks since my last dose and I feel wonderful.

[Fl...]

Hello everyone,

This will probably be my last post, unless I get the urge to write a "success story" in a couple of months. I just wanted to say that it CAN be done, and that a slow and steady withdrawal works. I also believe the brain heals somewhat as the drug is reduced because when I finally took my last pill there were very minimal withdrawal symptoms. I kept expecting them to show up, but it's been over 2 weeks now and I feel great. There have been a few times where my body has felt really warm (I had a hard time controlling my body temperature during the taper) but that's the extent of it.

The symptoms I had while tapering for the past year were pretty bad at times - I would get really sick if I went an hour past the time for my next dose, and there were a few times I absolutely lost it on someone - to the point where I felt like I couldn't control myself. The anxiety was brutal, the tinnitus was loud, and the stomach pain was unbearable, along with many other symptoms. I was on this drug for about 25 years so my memory is terrible (I forget what I'm saying in the middle of a sentence and most of my life is a blur when I look back on it) and I have a hard time swallowing (I had an x-ray done and my epiglottis doesn't completely cover my airway when I swallow). I can now clearly see that I was in tolerance withdrawal for years, and sadly it made me think I was going crazy. I had no idea!

I want to convey that it IS possible to do this, that we can heal, and that some people are ok after their last dose. I feel great - the only thing I'm struggling with is a feeling that I should be taking a pill, and when I get a little anxious I automatically think it must be time for my next dose.

Please take it slowly if you can, and know this will eventually end if you keep going.

Sending nothing but best wishes for all who read this.

I'm off to live my new life of freedom!

-L

I so needed to hear this as I approach my final stage of the taper.  I am so happy for you! Life can only get sweeter from here.