Anyone tried accuputure for insomia ?

[Ra...]

When I was in acute withdrawal I tried a whole bunch of acupuncture sessions and paid for them out-of-pocket because my insurance did not cover it. Sorry to say, but they did nothing for my insomnia and my anxiety got amped up during the sessions since I was shut in a small room by myself helpless with needles sticking out all over me.

I tried it too, same results as alohafromhawaii.  People told me how relaxing it was to lay there with needles poking in me, said how they were able to fall asleep while doing it, nope.  To this day I still get irritated when I hear meditation music.

When I was in acute withdrawal, acupuncture was the only thing that helped me sleep. I was going 2-3 times a week sometimes. But now that I'm 2 years off the medication, acupuncture no longer helps with sleep, and I'm in a terrible insomnia wave. I still find that acupuncture helps me to feel balanced and well overall, so I go weekly for treatments.

I recommend trying it once or twice because it could work for you. If your insurance doesn't over it, there may be a clinic in your area that offers acupuncture services at a lower rate. Good luck!

Hi, thank you for the reply.

My sleeping is quite good after acupuncture + taking chinese medicine + supplement.

I guess i found a right physician at this point . I do practice good sleeping hygiene as well.

I hope you can sleep well and ride over the wave

When I was in acute withdrawal, acupuncture was the only thing that helped me sleep. I was going 2-3 times a week sometimes. But now that I'm 2 years off the medication, acupuncture no longer helps with sleep, and I'm in a terrible insomnia wave. I still find that acupuncture helps me to feel balanced and well overall, so I go weekly for treatments.

I recommend trying it once or twice because it could work for you. If your insurance doesn't over it, there may be a clinic in your area that offers acupuncture services at a lower rate. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been getting acupuncture weekly for a couple of months now. I do seem to get some benefit from it but it is subtle and not consistent.  Overall, though, it is a positive for me.  Does help with my back and hip pain and definitely helps the headaches I’ve had recently. Also insomnia.

Yes I’m one of those people who find it relaxing and fall asleep on the table.. ;)

The whole atmosphere at the place I go is calming.  The acupuncturists are both ER doctors who decided to study acupuncture and Chinese medicine, one of them did it right after med school. She is retiring and the other one will be taking over.  They are great.

I would recommend to anyone who chooses, at least try it a few times to get accustomed to it .  Yes it is very expensive.  Have been bleeding my (very small) savings but find, for me, it’s been worth it.

Of course , as always, everyone will have different experience and outcomes.

• 1 month later...

I was always surprised to fall sound asleep with the needles in me ... but it was during the day and didn't change my dependency on ambien. It felt very healing.

Check into acupuncture clinics that are sliding scale----the one I went to was a room full of recliners and people were there together and the cost was very low.  :smitten:

I concur with Aloha, nothing short of another Rx drug will touch Benzo induced insomnia for MOST people?

I tried accupuncture as well for sleep and it did absolutely nothing.

I concur with Aloha, nothing short of another Rx drug will touch Benzo induced insomnia for MOST people?

I tried accupuncture as well for sleep and it did absolutely nothing.

How long did you suffer from acute insomnia and did it start during your taper or after you jumped?

Thank you

HM

HM,

I did a CT from all of the Benzos and other drugs I was on.

My insomnia started about 2 months before I jumped even though I had to keep increasing my dose. 

My sleep became less and less even when I took 4mg of K-pin, 30mg of Temazepam along with 15mg of Mirtazapine.

My insomnia was severe for about 10 months after that.  I kept a sleep log and experienced about 70 nights of zero or no perceived sleep along with a lot of 30 minute to an hour nights.  It slowly improved to 1 hour, then 2 hours, etc.  Eventually I was getting 3-4 hours per night most nights.  Then that slowly went to 5 and even 6 hours a night, but there were always zero or no perceived sleep nights mixed in.  Those became less and less over time until I was only getting about 1 per month.  Eventually those went away too.

It was very gradual and very slow.  At about 2 years off I was getting about 6-7 hours most nights.  At 3 years off I was getting 6-8 almost every night.  At almost 5 years off I am getting 6-7 every night with a few 8 hour nights here and there.  It's so much better now.  Life has been back to normal for me the past 3 years or so.

HM,

My insomnia started about 2 months before I jumped even though I had to keep increasing my dose. 

My sleep became less and less even when I took 4mg of K-pin, 30mg of Temazepam along with 15mg of Mirtazapine.

My insomnia was severe for about 10 months after that.  I kept a sleep log and experienced about 70 nights of zero or no perceived sleep along with a lot of 30 minute to an hour nights.  It slowly improved to 1 hour, then 2 hours, etc.  Eventually I was getting 3-4 hours per night most nights.  Then that slowly went to 5 and even 6 hours a night, but there were always zero or no perceived sleep nights mixed in.  Those became less and less over time until I was only getting about 1 per month.  Eventually those went away too.

It was very gradual and very slow.  At about 2 years off I was getting about 6-7 hours most nights.  At 3 years off I was getting 6-8 almost every night.  At almost 5 years off I am getting 6-7 every night with a few 8 hour nights here and there.  It's so much better now.  Life has been back to normal for me the past 3 years or so.

Sounds like, for the most part, you were healed at 2 years out. I am just 2.5 months into my taper so 2 years sounds like a long time but I guess I just have to be patient. I also reached tolerance and 2mg Xanax AND 10mg Ambien wouldn't put me to sleep. I get 0 to 3 hours per night and I am grateful for those 3 hour nights. It's very broken as I don't sleep more than 30 minutes to an hour at a time, sometimes less. Miraculously, though, I am about the same amount if tired every day. It doesn't get worse. It just stays the same but I am VERY tired. I take reprieve in knowing my brain still CAN go to sleep. My natural sleep baseline is about 8 hours a night before I ever had massive panic or relied on pills so I hope someday to get back to my healed 'normal'.

Thanks again for replying and being an inspiration.

HM

I was healed by about 2 years, but still did a lot better prior to the 2 year mark.  In fact, at about 15 months off I felt well enough to write a success story.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=191732.0

Even though it may take 2 years to say you're almost 100%, you feel much better prior to that.

When I used to get 4 hour nights I thought I was completely healed....LOL

Little did I know it would continue to get better.

Like you, my sleep was very broken and I'd wake up as many as 10 times or more a night

Currently I sleep in nice 3-4 hour blocks or longer and usually I get up because I have to use the loo!

Hopefully your sleep will begin to return during your taper?

Hang in there, if you were an 8 hour sleeper prior to Benzos, you'll eventually get back to that or close to that down the road!  :thumbsup:

Alas, I'm bummed.  I'm 5 yrs off 25 yrs on K and my sleep has recently deteriorated from 5-6 hrs of broken sleep to 0-3 hrs, possibly as the result of recent health-related stress.  At 86 I don't have the resiliency of you young whippersnappers so I hope things settle down soon.  Right now I feel like a zombie - a rather anxious zombie.

Alas, I'm bummed.  I'm 5 yrs off 25 yrs on K and my sleep has recently deteriorated from 5-6 hrs of broken sleep to 0-3 hrs, possibly as the result of recent health-related stress.  At 86 I don't have the resiliency of you young whippersnappers so I hope things settle down soon.  Right now I feel like a zombie - a rather anxious zombie.

Congratulations for getting of K after so many years of use. I am sorry your sleep has recently deteriorated and you're down to 0 to 3 hours per night. I hope it is related to something that can be resolved. I am 52, but I understand the zombie feeling.

Wishing you some deep and long sleep very soon,

HM

Sorry your sleep took a nose dive.  That seems to happen from time-to-time.  I'm a mere 57 years old. Congrats on making it to 86...that in and of itself is a nice accomplishment.

I had an insomnia bout in January and February of this year.  I had 3 or 4 zero nights and a lot of 1-4 hour nights.  It eventually evened out and hopefully it will for you too?

Thanks, Buddies, for the commiseration and support.  Last night was a little better.  One thing about zombies - they just keep going.

• 2 weeks later...
[5e...]
I have not tried accupuncture but I do gentle yoga at bedtime most nights and find that very helpful.  It seems particularly good for restless legs.

HM,

Thanks for sharing this ThEwAy2. :thumbsup: