Help me w/idea that bad waves=deeper healing

[su...]

I have come across this idea on the boards that bad waves can equate to a better baseline and deeper healing.  Would love to know what research/data/evidence/science this sentiment is grounded in.  Is it purely anecdotal evidence from Buddies that gets used as a means of positivity on the boards to help morale?  Or is there some actual enquiry to back up this sentiment? 

I have a hard time wrapping my head around this idea and always have. Although I have heard it said many times that when someone comes out of a bad wave their baseline is better or improves.

That has never been the case for me but it doesn't mean it's not true. 

People also say that symptoms are a sign of healing which I try my hardest to subscribe to but symptoms to me just feel like damage. 

Either way, time marches on and healing happens!

Thanks for responding, Warrior24.  I agree that we are just moving forward and healing is happening--just at different speeds for different people--but it also feels like damage to me and my brain is trying hard to repair.  I do feel it, regardless of this last wave I had which has been my worst and brought new symptoms and acute ones back again (very demoralizing).  I am just very curious where this sentiment comes from of bad waves equating to deep healing or brining the baseline up.  I mean if it's true, great.  I'm still waiting to see if that's the case for me with this last one.  It is curious to me to see this sentiment so much here in different posts, but for those who do not experience it, what a real hope killer it must be.  I am fine if it is an accepted idea because of anecdotal evidence, so long as there is enough of it to justify using it in the first place. 

Hope you are well. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard this too and hope it's true, but in my experience my bad waves usually are precipitated by some sort of mental or physical stress.  It's like I'm cruising around at baseline and then some combination of activities are just too much, pushing me over the tipping point.  Then I'm in a wave which just feels like my CNS is throwing a hissy fit.  I mean I guess I can wrap my head around that while in a wave your body takes account of how much damage still exists and then it starts healing some more.

One anecdotal thing I noticed was that after I received the COVID vaccine I had about 36 hours of hell (headache, chills, aches/pains) after which I recovered and felt I was at a higher baseline of functioning.....until my next wave LOL

I've just come out of a bad wave and I am doing okay now, but I've also added magnesium to my supps. I also dont usually take any supplements for this reason, I heard that insomnia actually triggers your brain to make more gaba receptors. it makes sense that the brain always wants to be in a state of homeostasis, so why wouldn't it make more things to balance things out when things are hard. I think this is why heroin users become more sensitive to pain, because their brain doesnt sense enough pain so it makes more of those receptors, or increases whatever it is that makes you sense pain. the opposite must be true for healing, when you feel awful your brain wouldn't want to feel awful all the time either  because being crippled by it's own sensations would be detrimental to survival. my theory is the brain recognizes you're spending too much time with pain and dizziness to go out and hunt animals to ensure survival, so it must dampen those negative feelings.

• 2 years later...
[Va...]

Old topic but maybe this belief is based on the fact that when You go back to baseline after a really bad wave, the difference between wave state and baseline is much greater so someone subjectively thinks that baseline got much better.