Can you get addicted to Unisom?

[le...]

Been taking unisom on and off for about month works really well. Started because was going through lot emotional stress with my family from hell. Just worried I'm going end up ad addicted and get withdrawal symptoms from it. Was taking chamomile capsules, helped with sleep but were racking up anxiety symptoms so bit catch 22. Is it OK just to stop it?

They work really well, will try not to take them so often. Think maybe because most sleep meds didn't seem to help you, don't work anymore. Was only taking about 2mg zopiclone but always worked, but know they didn't help you. Sorry nothing seems to help you and made you feel so awful, I just get paranoid getting hooked on anything else!

[41...]
You won't get addicted to antihistamines but if you use them too often, they quit causing drowsiness.  That happened to me years ago with Benadryl.  Use it sparingly and you should be okay.    :thumbsup:

[07...]
I can't think of anything that makes you dependent that's anywhere near as bad as Benzos and Z-Drugs. Unisom should be pretty safe and you don't really get addicted to it, or dependent. It just stops working if you keep on using it. Usually after 2 weeks it will work again though as your body normalizes

Thanks that's reassuring. Been going through lot emotional stress with toxic family so just needed something. I'll definitely try not to take them too often in future. Just relived to find something other than zopiclone that works!

Just thought I'd mention something that worked for me. (My unisom stopped working now and then and I had to take a holiday from it). I tried L-tryptophan and it did help. I took 1 gram. Here's an article that convinced me it was both safe and effective. I can't recall the brand I tried:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC161739/

Hope this helps someone.

Katz

Did you take it for very long Katz? Just going through lot of stress with my toxic family at moment, will try to stop taking it, I know it doesn't work for everyone like Shayna. My sleep normally not too bad so helpfully be able to ease off it soon. Just hard to find anything that doesn't rack up the anxiety, I get bad hay fever so it seems help that as well!

• 4 weeks later...

Unisom did help for awhile, leann. Did I get addicted? Hmm, not sure. But it stopped working, so I tried something lese (L tryptophan) then went back to it. I didn't like it because it made me feel groggy in the a.m. I'm using L-tryptophan now (1 gram) and it's working very well. No grogginess.

Best,

Katz

• 1 month later...
[07...]

Did you take it for very long Katz? Just going through lot of stress with my toxic family at moment, will try to stop taking it, I know it doesn't work for everyone like Shayna. My sleep normally not too bad so helpfully be able to ease off it soon. Just hard to find anything that doesn't rack up the anxiety, I get bad hay fever so it seems help that as well!

Have you tried any supplements at all? Or any other medications like Remeron?