Nutrition for Nausea, and Beyond

[th...]

Hello!  As I began this benzo withdrawl journey, one of the first, and most concerning symptoms that appeared was nausea.  I tried to ride it out for a couple of weeks, but it became apparent, at least for me, it wasn't going away and that I was quickly losing an alarming amount of weight. 

All medical providers, and well-meaning friends had to offer was "Drink Boost, Ensure, etc...."

I am NOT a nutritionist, but I have spent the last several years, prior to my benzo mess, learning and eating a healthier, whole-foods diet.

I knew I could concoct a healthier shake (at least in my opinion) than those that can be bought.  I get migraines and am also sensitive to many of the ingredients in processed food. 

I thought there might be more of us here who are trying to eat our way as healthy as can through withdrawl and tapering and that this could be a place for us to share recipes, suggestions, etc....

To those experiencing debilitating nausea, I am so sorry.  I understand how hard it is.  Mine finally just started to lift, around the 6 week mark.  I can open the fridge now without running away to bury myself in bed dry-heaving.  I will also say this- if your nausea is making you vomit, that can quickly turn into a medical emergency and you should contact your Dr/ ED. 

I hope we can get some great, healthy, HEALING, food ideas shared here!

Here are ingredients that I have been putting in my smoothies (not all at the same time) to optimize nutrition:

1. coconut CREAM (for the fat)

2. almond milk

3. hemp seeds, 3 TBSP (fat, protein, and vitamins/minerals)

4. ground flax seed (you can grind a good amount and freeze it- contains healthy fats, fiber, vitamins/minerals)

5. fruit (I generally prefer mango)

6. Lots of ice

Other things you could add if you aren't sensitive to them, like I am:

1. avocado

2. spinach

3. cacao powder

4. Nut butters

5. Protein powders (try to find one with clean, low ingredient list)

SNACKS (I haven't felt too snacky, but try to get something in every hour or two):

1. celery sticks with sunflower butter (or any nut butter if you can tolerate)- gives you a good fiber boost

2. nuts

3. fresh veggies and fruit

4. Hummus

5. Olives

6. Toast (dairy can be hard on a nauseous tummy.  I use ghee- it's butter that has the lactose removed)

PROTEINS

1. Whatever you can tolerate of fresh (organic and grass fed if you can) meats

2. Canned or fresh-prepared beans

3. Eggs

GRAINS (I'm gluten-free)

1. quinoa (a COMPLETE protein- has all amino acids and a decent amount of protein and fiber)- so versitile!  I sometimes make a breakfast bowl with quinoa and a little fresh fruit and coconut cream added.  Any veggies and meats added to it are also really great.  There are TONS of quinoa recipes online- share some of your favorites please!

2. Wild rice

Broth

1. When I was really, really nauseous, I would at least try to sip on broth.  Homemade is so easy (not when you're feeling really nauseous though- i get that). I like an organic brand called Pacifica.  It doesn't have a bunch of junk in it. 

2.  To help keep calories up, I would add 1-2 TBSP. of a healthy oil- avocado or olive, to my broth.

Electrolytes

1.  When not eating much, and in general for adrenal health, it's helpful to add a small pinch of celtic sea salt to the water you're drinking throughout the day.  This gives your body minerals that it needs!

VEGGIES and Fruit

1.  Veggies seem to be what my sensitive tummy craves the least of, but I'm doing my best and pushing myself.

For those struggling with weight loss and nausea, I know if feels impossible, but you have to get nutrition in.  Small sips, small bites, even a couple every 15 mins.