Gabapentin Taper

[Wh...]

Hi friends. I have been taking 100 mg of Gabapentin to help me sleep for about 6 months. I've decided to stop taking it and was shocked to see that my 25% cuts were too fast for me. I thought since I took it for a short time and a low dose I would be ok. NOT! So, have any of you tried a water taper with Gabapentin? Since I'm dealing with such a small dose, I worry that there's no way I'll get an accurate cut each time. Each night I dump 100 mg into 100 ml of H20 and remove the specified amount with a syringe. I'm also wondering if I should split the dose up into 3's because the half life is so short.

I"ve had people mention using liquid Gabapentin but I don't want to ask my doc for it  because she already thinks I'm nuts and doesn't understand why I can't just CT my valium. Thanks so much

• 4 weeks later...
[84...]

Whitewillow, when I cut medicines (I usually start with 1/10th dose so I am going the other way), I use a super sensitive scale and dry powder. I don't combine with liquid because I am always concerned with it distributing evenly.

My understanding is that gabapentin is usually cut around 10% a week. I was going to use pregabalin, but never got past day 3 so never had to make the cuts.

fluffer, be glad you never tried it. The wd's are worse than benzos. I tried to use the scale but I'm taking such a small dose that it doesn't even register on the scale. I probably need a much nicer one. Thank you for your help!

The withdrawls are worse than Benzos?? how is that possible. I was given Gabapentin to taper off of klonopin. I was hesitant about it now I am petrified

[84...]

Whitewillow, I have heard that it can be horrible to get off of gabapentin, I am so sorry that you are struggling. I have also heard that 10% per week cuts tend to be easier for a lot of people - I hope it works out without too much pain for you in the end. My scale gets a bit wonky when the dosing is low. It's about $100 for a really good one - I have the $20 one and it's adequate for my needs but not awesome.

SUCCEED14, in my opinion, baclofen is a better choice after your taper https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4271384/. Don't be petrified of gabapentin but do respect it and use it for as short a time as possible. Whitewillow made a big cut, so withdrawal was likely worse as a result. It is my understanding that 10% cuts are generally better tolerated (I researched it a lot when I was going to take it). That said, some do have a hard time with it. Healing64 used it during her taper with success and may have some insight. She can be a bit...um...how do I say, harsh? So don't get offended if she's sharp, I do think she wants to help. She's just a bit "tough love".

Hi everyone. I'm stuck on 1.80 of valium and whether I cut or don't cut the waves are agony. I'm holding until after the summer so that my daughter has a decent summer. I also have a lot of health issues in the form of cervical and lumbar stenosis, lupus plus some blood thing they just found. Anyway I live in pain most of the day.

My psychiatrist prescribed gabapentin two years ago saying it would help with benzo withdrawal but of course it hasn't. All I notice from the gabapentin is weight gain.

My question is: while I hold the valium would it be a good idea to slowly cut the gabapentin? I take 300 morning and night, and I was planning to start cutting 50mgs from my morning dose at a pace of 50 mgs a week. It this is a surprise drug like valium that the cuts would accumulate and send me into acute hell after two months please let me know.

[84...]
valiumnomore, I would hesitate to cut gapabentin right now. It inhibits glutamate, and cutting it will increase glutamate making your taper even harder. I probably would wait until you are off completely for 3-6 months, unless it is debilitating to stay on it.

valiumnomore, I would hesitate to cut gapabentin right now. It inhibits glutamate, and cutting it will increase glutamate making your taper even harder. I probably would wait until you are off completely for 3-6 months, unless it is debilitating to stay on it.

Thanks flutter. The thing is, my valium taper will last at least 3 more years. That means stuck on the gabapentin too if I taper it afterwards. Anyway I've already made up my mind not to touch any of these until after the summer.

[84...]
valiumnomore, ohhhhh, that makes sense. That does feel like a long time to stay on gabapentin. I don't know. That is a hard decision. Did you say you are having problems from it?

valiumnomore, ohhhhh, that makes sense. That does feel like a long time to stay on gabapentin. I don't know. That is a hard decision. Did you say you are having problems from it?

Not problems, apart from weight gain which is somhow a problem. But I don't feel it's doing anything good either. I'll hold for now because I'm feeling too ill to even touch any of my medications ATM.

[84...]
valiumnomore, I was just looking at your history. It looks like you had a hard taper down at one point, tried going up and rescue doses. Did you ever stabilize? Was that the reason for the gabapentin? Did it ever help?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Thanks for your help. I absolute cut too much of the gabapentin at first and that's what caused me all the trouble. I cut 25% when you're actually supposed to cut by 5 or 10% a month. I think the withdrawals are different for different people. I know of many people that didn't have an issue with it. I'm just very sensitive because of  a damaged nervous system.

I too am trying to get off gabapentin first because I'm on a small dose and don't want to be on it for the years it will take me to finish my valium taper. so I've restarted my taper off gabapentin and am going very, very slow until I can see what I can tolerate.. I apologize if I scared anyone. It was because I made a stupid mistake and cut too much, too fast.

Flutternutter if I could go back I wouldn't start the gabapentin. I wish I'd listened to some buddies here but like you, I was desperate for my severe symptoms to ease. They did not. Only time gave me some peace. Now I'm hooked on another drug.

White willow I'm in exactly the same situation. My Valium taper is taking forever due to all my kindling and sometimes I think I should taper the gabapentin first. Whichever I decide to cut, I'm holding till September. I'll be looking at your progress. Wishing you all the best 🙏

[84...]
Thank you valiumnomore. New drugs are a crap shoot at best. Some get a ton of helps, others not much. Sometimes they work differently during taper vs after jump vs a long time after jump! I know it’s a risk, but I’m going to try. I’m on lower than the lowest dose! I will be following peoples tapers with interest. I plan to do the microtaper that Stillbelieving did. Hugs!

Thank you valiumnomore. New drugs are a crap shoot at best. Some get a ton of helps, others not much. Sometimes they work differently during taper vs after jump vs a long time after jump! I know it’s a risk, but I’m going to try. I’m on lower than the lowest dose! I will be following peoples tapers with interest. I plan to do the microtaper that Stillbelieving did. Hugs!

:hug:

Valiumnomore, it does sound like we are in very similar situations. I've been holding on my valium taper for 6 months so i get why you want to wait and hopefully you'll feel well for your daughter's wedding! I will be thinking about you and wishing you the best. I will also  be keeping an eye out for you to see how you're doing.

Fluffernutter, thank you for all your help. Would you mind sharing with me the brand of the nice scale you have that weighs more accurately?

Also, how do you all continue getting your medication when you hold for long periods of time? My GP prescribes my Valium but I'm thinking about seeing a psychiatrist to help me with my taper. However, I'm afraid if i need to hold she won't let me and then I'll be stuck with no prescription!

Thanks so much. Wishing you both well.

[84...]

Whitewillow, my scale is ok, I’m not sure it’s great. But it seems close enough. I just got the best rated scale from Amazon that said it weight to 0.000. There were a bunch about all the same. It was about $20. There are some nicer ones around $100 too.

Since I’m not on a benzo, I can’t answer the other question. My doctor is pretty nice about refilling things that help me.

Valiumnomore, it does sound like we are in very similar situations. I've been holding on my valium taper for 6 months so i get why you want to wait and hopefully you'll feel well for your daughter's wedding! I will be thinking about you and wishing you the best. I will also  be keeping an eye out for you to see how you're doing.

Thank you white willow I'll be following you too. It's not my daughter's wedding it's just a vacation. She's only fifteen! 😂

Fluffernutter, thank you for all your help. Would you mind sharing with me the brand of the nice scale you have that weighs more accurately?

Also, how do you all continue getting your medication when you hold for long periods of time? My GP prescribes my Valium but I'm thinking about seeing a psychiatrist to help me with my taper. However, I'm afraid if i need to hold she won't let me and then I'll be stuck with no prescription!

Thanks so much. Wishing you both well.

Whitewillow I'm sorry that you have to deal with the stress of now knowing if they will continue to prescribe. I think finding a doctor that is willing to prescribe forever if needed is essential for you to be able to "relax" (as if that were ever possible for us), and know that you can do a symptom based taper. I know some people tell their doctor that they just want to continue on the medication forever, because it's all too common that when you tell a doctor that you want to come off, they will cut you off or taper you far too fast. I went to five psychiatrists before I found mine. I don't live in the US so I know that over there it's different and I don't know what are your choices when it comes to getting other doctors opinions. I use two scales to make sure when I weigh my pills, because I'm not going to run the risk of one scale going wrong and messing up my taper, so I weigh the pill on the two scales. I'm in Europe but they're all more or less the same on amazon US I've seen.

Valiumnomore, I have no idea where I got the idea it was your daughter's wedding! (Benzo brain) I'm glad to hear she's not getting married at 15! :laugh:

I think you make a great point that I should not mention to my doctor that I'm tapering. She knows I was and I called her when I was going through bad withdrawal because my psychiatrist was cutting my doses too fast. She was very sympathetic and said that we would just stop the taper for now. She has not mentioned it sense. I think it scared her and she doesn't want to risk me going through that again. I always feel on edge that I will be cut off and wish I would've never said anything but at least I know she is a compassionate person.

As for the scale, great idea to have two! I'm going to restart my taper soon so I'll get an extra. I was worried about the accuracy!

Valiumnomore, I have no idea where I got the idea it was your daughter's wedding! (Benzo brain) I'm glad to hear she's not getting married at 15! :laugh:

I think you make a great point that I should not mention to my doctor that I'm tapering. She knows I was and I called her when I was going through bad withdrawal because my psychiatrist was cutting my doses too fast. She was very sympathetic and said that we would just stop the taper for now. She has not mentioned it sense. I think it scared her and she doesn't want to risk me going through that again. I always feel on edge that I will be cut off and wish I would've never said anything but at least I know she is a compassionate person.

As for the scale, great idea to have two! I'm going to restart my taper soon so I'll get an extra. I was worried about the accuracy!

I'm so glad you've got a compassionate doctor. I'd just keep the tapering to yourself and as you cut very slowly, you can save what you're cutting in case your fears of being cut off ever materialize, which I hope they don't.