Little things I do to relieve anxiety...

[Wa...]

There are many things we can do to help alleviate anxiety and there are lists all over BB but these are my personal favorite. 😊

I own a 15lbs weighted blanket. I use it to sleep, meditate, relax or just use it as a binkie cause it’s so comforting to have. Not only do I sleep with the blanket but I also use a body pillow to help with panic/anxiety attacks. I put in on top of me (under the blanket) and hold it loosely while breathing deeply. I don’t know why it works but most times my body can relax itself in 20 minutes and I can attempt to resume my day or doze off.

If I am in my car or sitting, I will often have my magic bag with me. In the car, I use it as a weight for my legs. Put it on my thighs and it helps me stay grounded. It’s also distracting to pet it (haha) and it keeps my hands busy. At home, I warm it up in the microwave and then wrap it in a soft blanket (usually my daughters) and put it vertically on my abdomen. The heat and little weight of the bag help ease the famous shakes and settles my stomach. It relieves the muscle tension in that area as well. As it works its magic, I pet the blanket from top to bottom and vice-versa.

There are a few breathing methods I use depending on how severe the anxiety is but these two are the most used:

1. If it’s light and my heartbeat is somewhat stable and normal, I use 6-2-6 or 6-2-8 for 5 minutes and then breathe normally for another 3 minutes.

2.Anything above that I use 4-4-6 for as long as I feel I need it and gradually let go to breathe normally.

I have learned to get to know my anxiety even if it’s unexplainable at times. I’ve made a connection to it and when it pops, I try to keep the same relief routine. My body gets used to the calming reaction it can provide itself while in a bad state of mind. If I can’t keep up with the routine, I go with the flow. Here’s my thing though: I always listen to my body first and my mind second – okay so I try to. My body knows what it needs even if my brain can’t function.

Colouring and Painting! Yes, you read that right. Use bright colors and splash them all over the canvas you’re using. No need to make a piece of art.. just let it all out with the colors. Once you’re done, stare at it for a little bit and notice your heartbeat/breath. Mine usually has subsided and I can return to normal tasks.

Candles relax the soul. That little dancing flame will keep you company and will somewhat distract you. Talk to the candle. Tell it your worst fears and brightest hopes. Blow it out and with it goes all of your burden.

It’s not much but hopefully this can help someone. I will find more things to try along the way and keep sharing them!

Andie, xx

I use 5-7-9 breathing which is exactly the same method you use just different counts. One of the most helpful things to calm me down. I also use meditation, specifically the Calm app, but there are plenty of  other options for meditation around. I have a hard time sleeping under my weighted blanket, but I’ve never used it outside of that scenario so I will be trying it. ❤️

I use 5-7-9 breathing which is exactly the same method you use just different counts. One of the most helpful things to calm me down. I also use meditation, specifically the Calm app, but there are plenty of  other options for meditation around. I have a hard time sleeping under my weighted blanket, but I’ve never used it outside of that scenario so I will be trying it. ❤️

The Calm App has definitely been a life saver for me! I have been using it for a few years now. I have learned so much with the different meditation series and masterclasses. Recently I've listened to LeBron James' "Train your mind" and it was an eye opener. :)

Nice tricks,I wil try one or two of those:)I use the breathing exercises too and also repeat prayers in my mind as a mantra to avoid thinking in anything and after a while I start to "dream" awaken.I call meditation to that but I dont know if thats exactly meditate.I guess we can change the frecuency of our brain activity from alfa or beta waves to others in a lower frecuency by doing that.

• 3 months later...
To the original poster, thank you for your suggestions. 👍 I myself use breathing exercises as well as meditation to calm my mind.

To the original poster, thank you for your suggestions. 👍 I myself use breathing exercises as well as meditation to calm my mind.

You're quite welcome =)