What would happen if I call the cops on my doctor?

[Ju...]

I was just thinking to myself how I haven't actually filed the Civil paperwork at the Courthouse so that I can sue all of the doctors responsible for this. And that could be a long process. So the other option was I was thinking I could always call the police station and have the doctor at the last hospital I was at arrested for letting me go home feeling like this.

I mean what would happen if I did that? What if I said that they need to be held accountable for injuring me and leaving me with a brain injury for a couple years? Would they get arrested? Because if so, that's exactly what I'm going to do. And then I will press charges on them at court.

Now that I'm thinking clearly again, I'm going to screw them over as good as possible so that they can get everything they deserve. Nobody should be letting somebody go home like a crazy person when they can't even think straight so that they can suffer for years and years. I don't know why nobody else has called the cops on their doctors yet. Or has anybody else here done that?

I have always wanted to sue the doctor who got me hooked on benzos. I was just 18 and he gave me HUNDREDS of benzos at a time at the highest dose of Ativan and told me they weren’t addictive and just got me hooked severely . Totally destroyed my life. But too my research it looks like doctors are pretty well protected by the government. It is very hard to get a doctor in trouble for medical negligence . It is possible , but very hard and unlikely that anything will happen. They prob wouldn’t do anything if you called the police on him. That is my opinion anyways

Yeah I'm actually going to sue my doctor myself without a lawyer. I already talked to risk management at the hospital and I have a pending settlement, either they agree or they don't. If not, I have to file the Civil claim myself and it costs 200 bucks because it's over the couple thousand dollar regular civil court. It would have to go to a superior civil court. I already talked to them about that over the phone at the courthouse, now I just have to actually do it if I don't get the settlement.

As for the legal charges, I'm pretty sure that cops are required to do their jobs whether they like it or not, which includes arresting anybody who's been committing crimes. And yes they're definitely protected really well, but they're not above the law. Doctors actually go to prison all the time because of irresponsible prescribing of opiates, so maybe they will do the same for benzos next.

Also I almost forgot since you mentioned it, they got me hooked on benzos when I was 17 years old. Back in 2001, they started me out on 3 Valium 10 mg per day and then they changed it to 5 mg of Klonopin a day. And then that went on for 20 years and kept increasing by the day pretty much. Eventually it leveled out and then I was on 8 mg prescribed of Klonopin at the end. Along with Propranolol and primidone. Luckily that's all in the past.

Let me know how suing your doctor goes ! Hopefully you can get justice. These doctors shouldn’t get away with destroying peoples lives like this . Sorry to hear they got you at such a young age too

Yeah for sure, I will definitely post on here how my lawsuit or the settlement one or the other. I already told them I will settle for $480,000 because that's under what it has to be in North Carolina by law. But if it has to go to court, I'm thinking 1.2 million. Before I was thinking of suing them for a lot more but then I had to be realistic because this is reality.

Basically the only thing that has to happen is filed the paperwork at the courthouse and pay them the money to do it. And then it goes to a jury and then you have to sit around and explain yourself to the jury and make a story that sounds good in your favor so that they can agree with you and award you a settlement. If it doesn't sound very good, they will deny you a settlement. So really it's like a 50/50 chance and that percentage can go up on either side depending how good or bad.

So I'm waiting to hear back from Charlotte right now because that's where the doctors are headquartered and if they say no, then it's directly to the courthouse. Sounds simple but I know it's not that easy. I just have to get through this and take care of it.

I don't know what the cops would do outside of advising you to get yourself a lawyer. They can't just arrest someone without evidence.  Actual evidence, not just your opinion.  Though I believe you as to what these drugs can do, and what you have endured. 

You'll have to it legally, through a lawyer, who'll build a case with the evidence you are able to produce. 

Can't just arrest people on your desire to see it happen. 

I'm sorry.  I'm sorry for us all. 

I hope you succeed with a demonstrable case. 

While I understand where you're coming from, they have more say in the matter of because they are the professionals, does that mean that a police officer can disregard what a non-professional is saying?

And aside from a lawyer, I was thinking maybe they could get criminal charges like abuse or maybe even disorderly conduct. Maybe failing to do their jobs and help an individual in need. Maybe things like that. I wasn't really sure which is why I was asking if a doctor could be arrested for something like this. I guess I could go on website like quora so that I can put more details about how messed up doctors are.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking from experience, in the UK anyway, the police wouldn't arrest a doctor for something like that. I expect it varies form place to place, so not sure how relevant this is. If the doctor physically attacked you or blatantly broke some criminal law the police could arrest them.

Otherwise you could try to sue the doctor for negligence or malpractice. Most lawyers will only consider your case if you have first gone through one of the formal complaints procedures first, and got some sort of result.

Doctors here are regulated by the General Medical Council and they have the legal responsibility to investigate if a doctor has failed in their duty, not the police. You can make a complaint to them, but they only investigate if it meets their threshold of evidence and seriousness. The investigation is pretty one-sided. However, if the doctor is found to be at fault, his practice can be restricted or he can be struck off. Criminal proceedings could follow in some cases.

Alternatively, you can make a formal complaint to the doctor's employer, eg the hospital or health board.

I'm not a lawyer but that's my understanding.

I had a NP call the cops on me one time at the clinic.  He tried to involuntarily commit me to the ER for SI talk.  I refused to go.  I did get out of it.

Yeah, sounds like the United Kingdom operates the same way as the United States when it comes to doctors and complaints and lawsuits. I've gotten nowhere with lawyers around here, none of them want to take on psychiatry because it's such a touchy thing. They all say that it would be too hard to prove that it was the doctor's fault, which is why I started my own complaints with the doctors at the hospitals. It's possible that I will get a settlement, but if I don't I will have to get the civil lawsuit started at the courthouse myself. I'm prepared to do that, it's not difficult.

But as far as getting charged with a crime, I'm pretty sure that doctors can be charged with crimes just like anybody else. I don't think there's any specific law that says doctors can't be arrested just because they are doctors. Police officers have to take everything that people tell them with seriousness. Police officers can't just say oh he's a doctor, this guy is a patient, so let's just not arrest the doctor and let's assume the guy that's the patient is lying. Police officers can't do that kind of thing.

so then I started thinking a few weeks ago, what if I called the cops on my doctor for injuring me? It would be no different than getting into a fight, except for it was a medical professional and not a normal citizen. And instead of them punching you, they injured you with their medical malpractice. However like you were saying, they weren't going out of their way to injure you as far as the police officers know, so I don't know if that would come with a criminal intent or not. At the same time, only a judge is concerned with the intent so I don't know where that leaves this gray area.

One part of me wants to say yeah if I call the cops and say that the doctor injured me, then they would be required to arrest the doctor because it's a human. The other part of me says it's just another authority figure and they all take each other's side, so it's highly unlikely that a doctor would get arrested for anything unless it was further down the road with all kinds of criminal charges and deaths and stuff like the sackler family.

I don't know, all I know is if a doctor ever threatens me again in any kind of way whether medical or not, I will get them arrested somehow. I've actually had doctors threaten me in the past at hospitals, like literally threatening me with things. I won't stand for this kind of behavior from medical professionals anymore. But then again, I won't stand for anything that the government does for the most part anymore, I don't like the government anymore.

Yeah, especially because we're supposed to trust them. It would be great if they didn't make promises that they couldn't keep. Like whenever we see them and they tell us a medicine is going to help, we take their word for it. So whenever we go through something like this, and they deny it and any wrongdoing, it makes you realize who they really are.