From cloanazepam to propranolol?

[Ka...]

My doctor has officially taken me off of clonazepam since I've been down to .1mg per day, and put me Propranolol. I've seen a few others get put on Propranolol but it seems to have mixed results. I guess it's my turn now to see if it's going to work for me (I hope so).

Propranolol is great for racing heart and heart palpitations, but its a totally different class of drug from clonazepam. It’s not a substitute for it. Also, .1 mg is a high dose to jump from (roughly equivalent to 2 mg Valium).

Propranolol is great for racing heart and heart palpitations, but its a totally different class of drug from clonazepam. It’s not a substitute for it. Also, .1 mg is a high dose to jump from (roughly equivalent to 2 mg Valium).

I didn't think that a .1 mg was a high dose (untill 2 1/2 days later) so I'm back on my .1 mg dose a day.

Yeah, when I was on Klonopin I tried cutting my dose by quarters and quickly learned that was not so easy. If possible, I’d suggest you stay at .1 mg and stabilize then continue to make small cuts once you feel better.

The doctors that perscribe these meds do seem to think going off of them is easy! I plan on staying at .1 mg for a couple of weeks, then doing a really slow taper.

therewouldbenobutterflies, the common solution is to ask a doctor to prescribe indefinitely. To do this I would just ask to stay on the medicine at my highest dose. Plenty of doctors are willing to prescribe these poisons. Then it's up to the patient to determine their taper. My doctor knows that I'm tapering, and he gave a thumbs up to my daily micro taper after I told him the symptoms I was going through on cut-and-holds. But, something anyone could do who doesn't have a supportive prescribing doctor, is to meet with ANOTHER doctor, like a psyche nurse practitioner, and ask them to consult (not prescribe) as you taper. I found a psyche NP like this, and I was meeting every other week, mainly just for a second opinion. Since he wasn't prescribing, he didn't need to micro-manage anything. I could have kept my prescribing doctor in the dark about the taper, likely, had I needed to.

So many buddies seem to be trying to find a special doctor to guide them through a gentle taper, and I'm not hearing any cases where this is possible. Sadly, self-advocacy, self-education, and often a little medical non-compliance, is required to get a smoother ride to recovery.

therewouldbenobutterflies, I know the worry that you feel (as do others here), you are not alone. As far as the taper process I did alot of research (alot of it here) before starting.