Gabapentin??

[Wi...]

I posted a while back that my provider wanted to wean me off of Ativan (1 mg 3x daily) after 8+ years, using Hydroxyzine.  Rather than wean off, I was to replace 1 mg a day with the Hydroxyzine, which was not going to work. This antihistamine, no matter the dosage, was putting me to sleep and I could not function as needed.

I left that provider and found another. Their approach is more reasonable. Drop to .75 mg 3x daily for the first month. Continue to drop .25 mg each month thereafter. I'm having some withdrawal, mainly dizziness and buzzing in my ears.

We discussed, since I have a family history of anxiety (mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, etc.) that perhaps I have a GABA deficiency which would explain the anxiety. She recommended that I try Gabapentin (100 mg tabs) along with the weaning process. She wasn't sure if this would work, but I offered to give it a try. I know that Gabapentin can also be addictive, but right now they are focusing on getting patients off the benzos.

Has anyone used Gabapentin? I've read the side effects and it scares me. My father used to take it for neurological pain in his legs. He tolerated it well. I should have never read the side effects. I live alone and if I have a bad reaction, it's up to me to get myself help. Has anyone tried it with success?

Yes, I started with 100s and it didn't have any effect so I quickly went up to 1500mg, which I don't know if it did me any good, so I in fear that it was making things worse, started to taper off 100mg at a time.  Every single time I tapered off 100 it gave me serious withdrawals (mainly horrible depression for 3-4 days).  This last drop from 1200 to 1100 depression and sickness lasted a week.

Many say it helps, but I'm not sure it didn't make my problems worse.  Just my experience.  The withdrawals are scary.  But also consider I'm absolutely kindling and super sensitive to any gaba-related drugs.  That's my two cents.

[e7...]

Gabapentin masks benzo withdrawal symptoms.  That might sound like a good thing, but when you eventually taper off the gabapentin, the benzo withdrawal symptoms may still be there (and very strong).

I used a low dose for a couple of months, and felt it helped a little (mostly with sleep).  100 mg probably won't do much as DFG mentioned.  However, I'm more concerned about the proposed benzo taper.  Cutting by 0.25 each month is a very aggressive tapering plan.  We generally suggest a tapering rate of no greater than 10% every couple of weeks, and many people taper much slower than that.

If you use gabapentin, I'd suggest keeping the dose very low.  Don't use it to compensate for reductions in the benzo or you'll just be 'paying Peter instead of Paul'.