Long term Xanax user planning to withdrawl

[Sp...]

Hi BB!

I am a long term sufferer of Depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). I was originally diagnosed in 2010 and began treatment with Fluoxetine (more commonly known as Prozac). This had originally helped ease my symptoms of Depression and GAD however a side effect of this was that it caused me to have bouts of insomnia.

This is where my journey with Benzos began. To help combat the insomnia, I was prescribed with Xanax at a dose of 0.5mg and at the time, it was a miracle drug. I was able to sleep soundly and woke up feeling reinvigorated and refreshed.

Fast forward to 2017 when I encountered a traumatic experience, I began drinking heavily and began to rely more heavily on Xanax for sleep. During this time, my use became sporadic. I would usually stick to the 0.5mg a night however on occasions, I would dose up to 2mg or even 4mg a night. This went on for a number of years and I was functioning some what 'normally' and was never a cause for concern. In 2020 I took on a new role with greater workload and responsibilities. The additional stress was so great that it lead to burnout and left me feeling completely overwhelmed.

I continued to dose at 0.5 mg for sleep however began to experience symptoms of morning anxiety. this is when I began to dose 0.25 mg in the morning to help ease the symptoms and get through the working day. This is when my experience with withdrawal symptoms began. I began to realize that I was dependent on Xanax just to function so I became mindful of the effects they were having on me. Not knowing the beast of benzo withdrawal, I began to avoid using them when I felt like I could. On the days that I did not dose, I noticed symptoms commonly experienced with withdrawal such as, morning anxiety, increase in generalized anxiety, fatigue, difficulty focusing, DP/DR and severe depression.

Beginning in 2021, the symptoms began to worsen. I sought medical treatment and it was suggested that I switch to another AD (Effexor) & 25mg of Seroquel for sleep and only using Xanax where absolutely necessary. I have also massively reduced my alcohol intake this year.

I've been on this treatment plan for 3 months now and I feel the Effexor has definitely helped relive my depressive symptoms however I still experience many of the other symptoms.

It was then that I discovered this board and began to realize that the symptoms that I am experiencing are that of benzo interdose withdrawals. I have since decided that I want to try and stabilize at 0.25mg per day and begin to taper at a later stage.

Hello Spoonn :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies.

We are glad you are here.  I am sorry for the trauma you have suffered.  Well done reducing your alcohol, benzos and alcohol mix can be lethal. You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum. I suggest you do some research, check out the taper plan boards and post questions.  When you are ready to taper, Benzodiazepines should be tapered slowly, reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb.  You can alter the schedule, whatever feels comfortable. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable.

I would recommend reading through the Ashton Manual,  It is a great resource for understanding the effect these drugs have on our body.  The manual also has tapering and withdrawal information, and it includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

We have dedicated boards dealing with Anxiety and Depression issues, you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety     

Depression       

If you care to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc)  it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Welcome! I am tapering from Xanax as well. See my signature for details. Hopefully you can find a tapering plan that works for you. Good luck!