Hope this helps

[...]

I have been benzo free for a year now and I am doing fine.  However I still have a lot of anxiety all the time.  It is really maddening because the anxiety always turns to depression.  A few days ago I was at a healthfood store and the manger suggested that I try an Indian herb called Ashwagandha.  within an hour of taking two pills my anxiety dissapeared!  I haven't had any anxiety for the last two days wither and my mood is quite happy.  This stuff is the only thing that has worked for me.  

It has all the nerve calming effects of benzos but not of the side effect and is non-habit forming.  It also give you great alertness and also helps you fall asleep.  This first night I took it I fell asleep without even knowing it and I have severe insomnia!

The brand I take is Himalaya and my dosage is 2 pills in the morning and two a few hours begfore going to bed.

Here is a link to some of the findings on ashwagandha:

holistic-herbalist.com/ashwagandha-j.htm

Hope this helps.

Edit: Link to commercial website removed by cwj

Did you tell him that you were having anxiety problems and he refered you to that herb for the anxiety??

That is very interesting. Glad it worked for you.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but it may be that Ashwagandha works on the GABA system, stuff that works on the GABA system are  not helpful in withdrawal.

Ashwagandha health benefits, reduces anxiety

A documented study has shown that there was a reduction in the symptoms of anxiety neurosis amongst a group of 30 patients. After a month long period of administering ashwagandha to the group, there was a very significant reduction in the episodes of anxiety and panic attacks. Although the exact mechanism by which Ashwagandha helps in anxiety are not fully understood, it is believed that ashwagandha tends to act like GABA and compounds in the herb attach to GABA receptors on the nervous system.

Sorry to sound negative, I just wanted to make you aware of this possibility.

J

• 1 month later...

I hate to be a wet blanket, but it may be that Ashwagandha works on the GABA system, stuff that works on the GABA system are  not helpful in withdrawal.

Ashwagandha health benefits, reduces anxiety

A documented study has shown that there was a reduction in the symptoms of anxiety neurosis amongst a group of 30 patients. After a month long period of administering ashwagandha to the group, there was a very significant reduction in the episodes of anxiety and panic attacks. Although the exact mechanism by which Ashwagandha helps in anxiety are not fully understood, it is believed that ashwagandha tends to act like GABA and compounds in the herb attach to GABA receptors on the nervous system.

Sorry to sound negative, I just wanted to make you aware of this possibility.

J

All these "benzo replacements" are for the birds IMHO. I think the idea is to stop ingesting things that effect the receptors in our brains so that they can return to normal pre benzo levels of functionality.

Thanks for the helpful post Journey  :thumbsup:

Mark