Substitution taper Xanax to klonopin

[Fr...]

Hello,

It only took 2 week on on 1.5 mg of Xanax a day for my body to become physically dependent on it. I had no instructions  when prescribed, my pills ran out and my body and mind went insane. After 5 days of terror and no sleep I found out I was in withdrawal. My PCP tried to taper me but it showed she unfortunately had no experience in weaning off benzos. Found a psychiatrist who I hope to trust! He immediately switched me to 1 mg of klonopin a day and a 6 weeks taper. He also prescribed 20mg lexapro to help with widthdrawl anxiety and panic. Now taking 0.25 mg of klonopin every other night. Planning to end taper this week (4/22)Scared and excited to end this nightmare!

[37...]

Hello Freedom770, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am glad you are joining our community!  I am also glad to hear you found a supportive doctor and are doing well with your taper.  Klonopin is longer-acting than Xanax and therefore, a bit easier to taper from.  We generally don't encourage skipping days with your doses but if you are doing well then stay with your taper plan!

Are you having any withdrawl symptoms?  You can find support here for withdrawl:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

As you learned, it doesn't take long to become habituated to benzos but hopefully you will be putting this mess behind you soon.  Reach our for support and let us know how we can help you.

Best and again, welcome,

Kate

Welcome! 1.5mg of Xanax every day is extremely strong. I got hooked with just 0.5mg of Xanax, and am slowly working my way down to zero. I tried alternate day dosing on Xanax, and the up-and-down whiplash was just too rough. So I switched to every day dosing.

Are you stable and functional on 0.25mg Klonopin every other day?

Or having withdrawal symptoms in between doses?

I am doing pretty well with the taper, in the beginning was rough lots of panic attacks and anxiety. Now just some waves of depression it is bearable. The harder thing is the insomnia! Uuuuugh. He prescribed some hydroxyzine for sleep but I’m not crazy about using it

The body gets used to the new dosage, as does the central nervous system. As long as it is bearable, and you can function, then keep on going. Obviously, consult your doctor if the situation changes.

I had a bunch of pills left over and I did a self-taper. It is working out very well for me. Some weeks I go fast, and other weeks I go slow.

As a side note, increased blood pressure is one of the withdrawal symptoms, and mine started to increase. So I keep an eye on it.

I would suggest checking your blood pressure to ensure it is within your comfort level.