First time taper attempt.

[ro...]

I joined Benzobuddies to get guidance on tapering of Diazepam. I have been cut of by my Doctor and I dont know what to do.

I am currently on 10mg Diazepam a day for the past 7 months. My addiction started during the lockdown. I want to start tapering but only have 60 tablets left.

Please i need help to get of of this drug but am clueless...

[46...]

Hello roibard, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We are glad you have joined us!  Oh dear, I am sorry you have been cut off by your prescribing doctor but 60 pills is a fairly generous supply so it is likely you can do a taper rather safely.  We run into your issue rather regularly here.  We generally encourage a slow taper of around 5-10% of your total dose every two weeks or so to minimize withdrawl symptoms and this may be feasible with your current supply but nor sure about that.  This link will take you to our Taper Plans board where you will find taper plans we support:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

If you need help with a taper plan, let us or someone on the Taper Plans board know and we will see if we can round someone up.

You will find withdrawl supporrt here:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Try not to panic and look around, get settled in.  Let us know what you need; this can be done.

Best and again, welcome,

Kate

I joined Benzobuddies to get guidance on tapering of Diazepam. I have been cut of by my Doctor and I dont know what to do.

I am currently on 10mg Diazepam a day for the past 7 months. My addiction started during the lockdown. I want to start tapering but only have 60 tablets left.

Welcome...you have found the right place.  You have already received great advice.

I am curious about your script too.  Is it 60 pills of 10mg pills?

I did a quick example based on ~ 10% 2 week step down plan. 

10mg -9 mg 10% 14 days = 14 pills

9mg-8mg 11.11% 14days = 14 pills

8mg-7.2mg 10% 14 days = 14 pills (this is where a scale comes in, for weighing and cutting the dose but you wouldn’t have enough pills)

7.2 -6.5mg 9.7% 14 days = 14 pills

So that would take up 56 pills and doing the ~ 10% every two weeks Ashton Manual protocol.  This can actually be too much and too fast for some.  “Can be”, not necessarily is, and you might just do fine with a 10 Direct Taper method every two weeks.  However, you will not have enough pills to get you through this process.  I would encourage you to have a conversation with your doctor about this.  Perhaps bring in the Ashton Manual to him/her.  If your doctor refuses to hear what you have to say, you have time to find a provider who will work with you.  It will just take time to call around and find someone who is willing to work with you on a taper plan. 

You have already been given links to the taper plan’s and now you just have to decide what may work best for you.  If you have more questions please reach out here, or on the forums.  There are so many wonderful people on here who are willing to help you.  :thumbsup:

Marie

I'm so sorry your doctor cut you off. Is that 60 10mg tablets?

Yes, definitely go to one of the taper plan boards and tell exactly how much Valium you have to work with. You can do a dry taper or a liquid taper. Dry tapers are generally discussed here: Direct Simple Tapers. Liquid tapers here: Titration. If you start making reductions and don't waste any of your tablets or pieces of tablets, you can go quite awhile on what you have.

Yes, it is 60 x 10mg pills.

I am really stressed out at the moment and my anxiety is sky high, the thoughts i am having now is scaring me :'(

Welcome...you have found the right place.  You have already received great advice.

8mg-7.2mg 10% 14 days = 14 pills (this is where a scale comes in, for weighing and cutting the dose but you wouldn’t have enough pills)

So that would take up 56 pills and doing the ~ 10% every two weeks Ashton Manual protocol.  This can actually be too much and too fast for some.  “Can be”, not necessarily is, and you might just do fine with a 10 Direct Taper method every two weeks.  However, you will not have enough pills to get you through this process.  I would encourage you to have a conversation with your doctor about this.  Perhaps bring in the Ashton Manual to him/her.  If your doctor refuses to hear what you have to say, you have time to find a provider who will work with you.  It will just take time to call around and find someone who is willing to work with you on a taper plan. 

You have already been given links to the taper plan’s and now you just have to decide what may work best for you.  If you have more questions please reach out here, or on the forums.  There are so many wonderful people on here who are willing to help you.  :thumbsup:

Marie

Yes it is 60 x 10mg pills.

How did You work out the below taper?

We are glad you have joined us!  Oh dear, I am sorry you have been cut off by your prescribing doctor but 60 pills is a fairly generous supply so it is likely you can do a taper rather safely.  We run into your issue rather regularly here.  We generally encourage a slow taper of around 5-10% of your total dose every two weeks or so to minimize withdrawl symptoms and this may be feasible with your current supply but nor sure about that.  This link will take you to our Taper Plans board where you will find taper plans we support:

If you need help with a taper plan, let us or someone on the Taper Plans board know and we will see if we can round someone up.

Try not to panic and look around, get settled in.  Let us know what you need; this can be done.

Best and again, welcome,

Kate

Thank You Kate.

Honestly I feel like taking the easy way out  :'(

Best and again, welcome,

Kate

Thank You Kate.

Honestly I feel like taking the easy way out  :'(

Rolibard - What do you mean by taking the “easy way out”?

We are here to help you....You can get through this, even if this means changing providers. 

I think it is very important to call your doctor right away and schedule an apt., and have the Ashton Manual in hand, regarding “Tapering”.  Also, what country do you live in? 

Like I have mentioned, you could also start calling around and find a doctor, or Nurse Practitioner, or Physician Assistant, or even some Pain management clinics who specialize in “addiction” (even if it is dependency and not addiction ) can help you.  Also there are Psychiatrists who specialize in addiction/dependence too.  Sometimes they are not covered by Ins., but this could be a solution too, until you found a practitioner who is willing to work with you.

You have time.  I calculated out 2 months of weaning off of the Valium for you, and this gives you time.  You should be able to find someone in the first two weeks.  This doesn’t have to be a scary process at all. 

Hope we can continue to help you.....

Marie 

I am currently on 10mg Diazepam a day for the past 7 months. My addiction started during the lockdown. I want to start tapering but only have 60 tablets left[

Have you made any cuts in your dosage? How do you feel when you make a small cut? If minimal symptoms, then you can go a bit faster. If more symptoms, then you will need to go a bit slower.

I am currently on 10mg Diazepam a day for the past 7 months. My addiction started during the lockdown. I want to start tapering but only have 60 tablets left[

Have you made any cuts in your dosage? How do you feel when you make a small cut? If minimal symptoms, then you can go a bit faster. If more symptoms, then you will need to go a bit slower.

Currently 2 days on 1 10mg pill and no symptoms so far apart from a small headache. Does this count for something or have i been wasting 2 of my pills? Does this equal to 5mg per day or will taking 5mg per day for 4 days have a different effect on me? Just wondering as i can hold up 2 days on 1 pill.

If you are functional and stable on your current dosage, then keep pushing forward. You could lower the dosage a bit, and see how you feel.

All tapering plans are guides, and you can adjust as needed. I have sped up my taper and slowed it down, all based on the symptoms.

Currently 2 days on 1 10mg pill and no symptoms so far apart from a small headache. Does this count for something or have i been wasting 2 of my pills? Does this equal to 5mg per day or will taking 5mg per day for 4 days have a different effect on me? Just wondering as i can hold up 2 days on 1 pill.

It is hard to say.  It depends on how your body will metabolize the Valium and the 1/2 life.  Valium has a long half life, so you may not really feel the cut for another day or so, and then it still will continue to leave your system because of the way the 1/2 life works.  It would probably be better to do the smaller mg daily, so you don’t experience a “crash” type feeling. 

Marie

• 1 month later...

Marie

Hi There.

It has been a while since posting and has been going good.

Been able to take a 10mg Diazepam every 4-6 days which I believe is really good.

So when I first posed I only had 60 x 10mg pills to start with a taper which was not going to be enough - currently have 38 Left

I also managed to get 120 x 5mg pils - current have 112 left.

Will these be enough for a taper?

roibard,

Welcome. I just wanted to say that I had 2 issues when I started my taper. One was that I had hit the ceiling and was having WD between doses so I knew I had to get off. Two is that I was afraid of losing my prescription. So I decided to do a liquid taper where I don't throw out anything. I am not the expert on liquid tapers and I am also on Xanax but it helped me avoid cutting and shaving pills or doing a liquid taper where you throw some out every day. I use the entire pill and dissolve it in water. (Xanax is very easy to dissolve) and I use a syringe to draw up my doses. I take frequent doses because Xanax has a short half life unlike Valium.

Your strategy of taking a pill every 2 or 3 days should work for a while then eventually you'll have to cut your pills into smaller doses. Just throwing out food for thought, especially if you are worried about getting cut off your pills before you're done tapering.

I wish you the best. I look forward to following your taper.

HM

I don't understand how a doctor cuts someone off when they're the reason for the issue, what does someone do in these instances? When they need to do a real taper and they're cut off ? Sorry if it's an inappropriate question spot.

I don't understand how a doctor cuts someone off when they're the reason for the issue, what does someone do in these instances? When they need to do a real taper and they're cut off ? Sorry if it's an inappropriate question spot.

Sadly, people are sometimes forced do a very fast taper or go cold turkey and deal with the consequences. It is unfortunate to say the least.

HM

When I last had my appointment, I told the psychiatrist that he didn't understand the seriousness of the drug, we didn't have the best meeting, I could very well end up in the same position. I just think it's quite sad, they throw drugs at you, drugs that aren't even very joinable, I was suggested adderall for feeling tired ....