Weaning off 0.25mg Alprazolam

[By...]

Hi everyone. Glad I found this group. I am just beginning to taper off .25mg of Xanax, taken once before bed, after being on for 5 years. Electrophysiologist said I can just stop it cold turkey. Not sure I want to do that. I have just started taking magnesium taurate, 125mg, twice, daily and magnesium citrate (calm), 325mg, at bedtime. I don’t believe it is a substitute for Xanax, but I would like to hear from any of you who tapered off .25mg of Xanax after several years of usage. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

[f1...]

Hello ByeBenzo70, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

It is nice to have you join our community!  I'm glad you have decided to taper off your benzo rather than go it cold turkey as that can be a rough ride.  We can support you during this process as people who have been there and understand.  We suggest a slow taper of no more than a 5-10% reduction every two weeks or so.  Going slow helps keep withdrawl symptoms to a minimum and allows you to stay functional.

Many of our members have successfully let benzos go and gone on with their lives.  I'll leave you with some helpful links including taper plans and withdrawl support.  Of particular interest to you may be the Xanax Club where you will find other people who are or have tapered off Xanax:

The Xanax Club

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Let us know how we can help you.  Best and again, welcome,

Kate

I am currently tapering off .50mg.  I am now just under .25 and reducing 10 percent per month.  Slow ...but necessary given the side effects.

Good luck you you, you will get there at a pace that works best for your body.

Xanax is extremely potent. It is better to taper and work your way down slowly. Let your body and your symptoms guide you. Harsh withdrawal symptoms can linger for a long time.

I was on 0.5mg Xanax for 2.5 months, and I had trouble coming off.

My taper is a bit faster, but I am functional, stable, and have minimal symptoms. See my tapering plan in my signature. It is very simple for me, and working very well for me.

Have you tried lowering your dosage? How did your body react?