New Member - tapering off clonazepam

[JS...]

Hello,

I am new to this group, I am 26 yes old and am trying to get off of clonazepam safely . This began when I was started taking 0.25mg klonopin for anxiety during my hospitalization February 26 2021-March 1st 2021. Once I got out of the hospital from my heart procedure my psychiatrist prescribed me the generic version, clonazepam at 0.5mg 2x day I have been taking it since March 4. She refused to refill so I reached out to another psychiatrist that refilled on April 5th so I can start a taper. On April 7th I cut my dosage from 0.5mg 2x daily to 0.25mg 2x daily. I have been fine for a week but have been having manageable panic attacks at night and burning brain feeling. Idk what to do I’m so lost especially since I’ve only been on this medication for almost 7 weeks but I’m scared to come off due to possible seizures. I need help with a safe way to taper off of this medication. I would be grateful for any help received.

Thank you

edit: username removed from title

Hello JS2021,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! I'm sorry to hear about your heart issues, I hope that has been resolved successfully. It's not uncommon to reach for medication when having difficult health problems.

7 weeks of use is long enough for a physical dependency to develop.  Klonopin/clonazepam is a very strong benzo. Your first reduction was very large, 50%, but it appears that you are having manageable withdrawal symptoms.

For short term users we recommend an accelerated taper plan.  We do suggested cutting 50% and holding for at least 5 days and if the effects are tolerable, cutting another 50% until completely off the medication.  That being said, it's OK to slow down the taper if the symptoms become difficult to deal with.  The idea is to get off safely and quickly, the longer on the drug, the stronger the propensity for dependency.

Seizures are quite rare and normally occur with cold turkey from high doses of benzos.

I'll give you a link to the Withdrawal Support Board. You can post there and receive feedback from others. I'm glad you are at a point to get off clonazepam now that your heart procedure is over.  We'll be happy to help and support you so let us know how we can help.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

pianogirl  :)

Thank you for your response. I’m in first degree heart block as of now since my procedure. I have been on 0.25mg 2x a day for over a week and was told by my psychiatrist to stay on this dose for 2 weeks. I just started getting the fire brain symptom in the last 2/3 days. When I made the 1st 50% cut I was have severe panic attacks that have since subsided. I also have been having sharp chest pain.  I am just wanting to get off this drug as safely as possible without having a seizure or heart related issue. I really need help and guidance. I’m getting told to do so many things and I’m honestly scared.

Thank you for your response. I’m in first degree heart block as of now since my procedure. I have been on 0.25mg 2x a day for over a week and was told by my psychiatrist to stay on this dose for 2 weeks. I just started getting the fire brain symptom in the last 2/3 days. When I made the 1st 50% cut I was have severe panic attacks that have since subsided. I also have been having sharp chest pain.  I am just wanting to get off this drug as safely as possible without having a seizure or heart related issue. I really need help and guidance. I’m getting told to do so many things and I’m honestly scared.

What have you been told?

Please make sure you are in contact with your cardiologist if you are having chest pains,  They can be a withdrawal symptom, but with your history it's important to check this out.

Perhaps that first 50% reduction was too much for your system.  Staying on this dose for 2 weeks is not a bad plan and will allow your system to stabilize. With your heart condition it may be best to taper more slowly.  Generally, for those who have taken benzos for extended period of time, a reduction of no more then 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested.  There is more information on the Planning Your Withdrawal Board, I'll give you a link to it.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

PG  :smitten:

I have an appointment with my cardiologist today. I’ve been told to go cold turkey by a nurse practitioner and a doctor told me  to take .25mg for the whole day for a week and then decrease again. I honestly don’t know what to do and I’m scared of something happening because I’m lost. I’ve never been on any drugs or prescription pills ever in my life and I truly don’t know how to get off these pills.

Welcome! Short-term Xanax user and my body got hooked. Slowly tapering my way down to zero. These are potent drugs and withdrawal can be messy. I hope you can find a tapering plan that makes sense for you. Let your symptoms and your body guide you.

Blood pressure can increase during withdrawal. This happened to me, and that is why I slowed down my tapering a little bit.

With your heart issues, I would suggest that you also check your "resting" blood pressure (sit calm for 10 minutes, relax yourself, and then check it).

I have an appointment with my cardiologist today.

I suggest that you tell cardiologist that you are on a benzo and you want to taper off the benzo. My cardiologist knew that tapering benzo can increase blood pressure and prescribed a medication for that.

I’ve been told to go cold turkey by a nurse practitioner and a doctor told me  to take .25mg for the whole day for a week and then decrease again.

This is conflicting guidance from two different medical professionals. I suggest going with the doctor's recommendations.

I truly don’t know how to get off these pills.

I have found that tapering is the right way to do it safely and gracefully. I sleep well at night, and am functional and stable through the day. I am reducing dosage every day, and letting my body and my symptoms guide me.

My cardiologist advised me not to have alcohol with my heart condition. I’m so bad at math so I never understand the methods of tapering. I’m in need of a mentor that can help guide me off of this. I have been reading tapering methods but it all just seems so foreign to me. I’m feeling defeated because I’m trying to get better from my heart procedure, I was in 2nd degree heart block due to complications from the procedure and was able to get better and now I’m in 1st degree which is serious but less serious than 2nd degree. I can’t be prescribed blood thinners or medication for palpitations because it’ll put me back into 2nd degree heart block. I’m feeling hopeless

never understand the methods of tapering. I’m in need of a mentor that can help guide me off of this

Pills can be cut and broken off to make smaller amounts and a slow reduction in dosage can take place . Or a liquid solution can be made (using a very tiny amount of alcohol or PG).

I would suggest asking your cardiologist if you can have have a maximum of 7ml of alcohol or propylene glycol per week. That would be 1 ml per day. If acceptable, a liquid solution can be made. Otherwise, the pills can be dry cut.