In withdrawal

[Ac...]

Hello, was on klonopin .5 mg as needed for 4 months due to panic, which ended up being about a pill every other day.  This was exactly as prescribed and I had no idea I could become dependant.

I stopped, and am now two weeks past final dose, and over 2 weeks into withdrawal with no signs of my insomnia, rapid heart beat, or additional anxiety lessening.  I came here to find help because this doesn't seem like it'll ever end.

Hello Accidentaldependant,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! Unfortunately it doesn't take long for a physical dependency to develop, even with every other day dosing.  Klonopin is  a very strong benzo so I'm not surprised you are feeling some difficult withdrawal symptoms.

Did you stop taking klonopin suddenly, cold turkey?  After 4 months of taking this medication, even with your dosing schedule, a taper would be recommended to help minimize withdrawal symptoms.

That being said, you are off now. 2 weeks is very early in terms of benzo withdrawal. It can take a while for you cns to recover, this early on is considered the acute period of withdrawal where the intensity of the symptoms can be more intense. As time progresses, things should ease up. It's impossible to predict when this will happen, we all will react differently based on genetics and how we process medications.

You'll find good support here from people who understand what you are going through. I'll give you a link to the Post Withdrawal Recovery Board where you can post and receive feedback from others.

This is a tough time for you now, we get it. Your body is reacting to being without the benzo, with time, balance will return. Let us know how we can help.

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

pianogirl  :)

Yes, I did quit cold turkey, but it was unintentional.  I had taken the klonopin due to panic over the pandemic, and once I was fully vaccinated I stopped the medication.  I didn't know benzo withdrawal was a thing until about a week into my symptoms, when my brain finally connected the dots.  I wish I had been more knowledgeable about the effects as I would have been more intentional about quitting and tapered. That said, my therapist and pharmacist said they wouldn't have thought I'd need a taper after such a low dose, and one not taken every day.  But here we are.

How long were you on it, and how long have you been off?  I'm a little over 2 weeks off after using for 4 months.  Things are mostly manageable during the day now, but insomnia is the worst.  About 4 days out from last dose, was the worst so far, was nauseous, shaky, irritable and anxious during the day and didn't sleep at night.  Things are a bit better now but still going...

Yes, I did quit cold turkey, but it was unintentional.  I had taken the klonopin due to panic over the pandemic, and once I was fully vaccinated I stopped the medication.  I didn't know benzo withdrawal was a thing until about a week into my symptoms, when my brain finally connected the dots.  I wish I had been more knowledgeable about the effects as I would have been more intentional about quitting and tapered. That said, my therapist and pharmacist said they wouldn't have thought I'd need a taper after such a low dose, and one not taken every day.  But here we are.

I've heard that before.  Sometimes it's difficult to receive validation from the medical community. They tend to go by what they see is the norm, that most people won't have withdrawal issues. I was dependent after 6 weeks of taking a low dose of ativan for a supposed inner ear issue.  I also stopped cold turkey as directed by my doctor, for a medical test.  It was not pleasant.

I took Ativan for about 3 weeks give or take with fast taper.  I am one week in and it is horrendous!!  I have been up for 24 hours.  Yup - the insomnia and shaking really is hard!

Since  I will be one week out tomorrow, should I reinstate and retaper?

With just 2 weeks of use, I personally would not reinstate.  You are off now and the short term use of benzos is really in your favor. Many of us wished we would have stopped after such a short period of time.

PG  :smitten:

Good question, I was going to ask the same thing.  Now that I'm over 2 weeks out, it should be out of my system, so assumed it was kind of too late now.  Besides I told my Dr (different one than that prescribed the klonopin) all this last week and she prescribed hydroxyzine rather than any sort of reinstatement and taper.  I just want to do the right thing to get me clear of this as soon as possible

With the taper, fast, it was almost 3 weeks.  Do you still think no going back and keep trudging forward?

I can only give you my thoughts, what I would do in this situation. Yes, I would trudge forward and know that things will ease up with time. 3 weeks is still very short term use.

PG  :smitten:

Good question, I was going to ask the same thing.  Now that I'm over 2 weeks out, it should be out of my system, so assumed it was kind of too late now.  Besides I told my Dr (different one than that prescribed the klonopin) all this last week and she prescribed hydroxyzine rather than any sort of reinstatement and taper.  I just want to do the right thing to get me clear of this as soon as possible

Just because the drug is out of your system does not mean that it's effects will leave as well. Benzos make significant changes to the central nervous system and the reset can take some time. 4 months of taking clonazepam, even every other day, can cause a physical dependency.