Does taking my daily Serquol keep me from healing?

[Mo...]

I take 100 mg of Serquol in the morning and 100mg at night. I also take 20 mg of Propanol in the morning and 20 mg at night. Will these drugs keep me from healing from benzodiazepines?? I really want to quit the Serquol but my psychiatrist told me 1 drug at a time? Anyone out there still on Serquol or how was the withdrawal coming off it? I have been on Serquol for 2yrs I did not take it once for 9 days I had the most vivid racing thoughts could not focus on one thought really scary also no sleep crazy

Thanks Everyone

Idk if it prevents healing but I tried it the other day and while it helped me sleep better and I didn't wake up with benzo rage it started to give me RLS in legs, chest and arms about 10 hours after taking it. It also brought back some panic later on in the day that I hadn't experienced in a while. Seemed to be the active effect of the drug rather than a setback as these symptoms subsided when it left my system. I've taken it in the past and haven't experienced either of these other than intensified RLS while I was in opioid withdrawal.

Defently anti psychotics are a big no when it comes to benzo withdrawal doctor ashton mention this in her studies but i can understand people who can't sleep and need some relief so I don't blame you for taking it its vicious cycle i took remron for a year and half taperd it the last 3 months now i have to pay the bill for that year

Hope you find a solution

Good luck

It's not that easy to answer because "healing" means different things to different people. If "healing" means recovering functionality, that can happen while you're still on Seroquel. Like, if you are feeling the effects of withdrawing from benzos and you're struggling, you will likely be doing better in 6 months, better still in 12 months, etc. That's why I think I agree with your psychiatrist on this: 1 drug at a time seems prudent. It looks like you may have reduced the benzo quicker than is ideal too, so that should be factored in. To be honest, 2 weeks on Librium and then stopping benzos completely doesn't seem like an adequate taper for Ativan and I think you would probably be feeling a lot worse without Seroquel to dull things. Since it's already done and you're coping, I'm not suggesting going back on any dose of benzo, but I think I'd leave it a while before trying to tackle more of your drugs. And I would do it a lot slower when you do get to it. 10% reduction every 2-4 weeks is considered a sensible starting point, then see how it affects you.

Personally, I consider these drugs to be nothing short of poison for body and mind. "Healing" to me consists of eliminating this poison from my body and recovering from the effects until such a time that I'm living a normal life without thought of psych meds. This healing has a biochemical component for sure but it's also about getting over the trauma of the experience. It's like mind-rape. Yuck.

• 2 weeks later...

I take 100 mg of Serquol in the morning and 100mg at night. I also take 20 mg of Propanol in the morning and 20 mg at night. Will these drugs keep me from healing from benzodiazepines?? I really want to quit the Serquol but my psychiatrist told me 1 drug at a time? Anyone out there still on Serquol or how was the withdrawal coming off it? I have been on Serquol for 2yrs I did not take it once for 9 days I had the most vivid racing thoughts could not focus on one thought really scary also no sleep crazy

Thanks Everyone

Hi Moose charters,

I hope that you are feeling ok.

I too am on seroquel but a lower dose for ptds symptoms.

I started my clonazepam taper in Feb 21 (after 24 years on 1mg for nocturnal epilepsy and developing tolerance).

I have continued to feel better throughout the taper even though I am still taking the seroquel.

I feel that one drug at a time is sensible due to the changes that our bodies have to make.

Idk if it prevents healing but I tried it the other day and while it helped me sleep better and I didn't wake up with benzo rage it started to give me RLS in legs, chest and arms about 10 hours after taking it. It also brought back some panic later on in the day that I hadn't experienced in a while. Seemed to be the active effect of the drug rather than a setback as these symptoms subsided when it left my system. I've taken it in the past and haven't experienced either of these other than intensified RLS while I was in opioid withdrawal.

I’ve had the same experience.  Tried it on a few occasions throughout this and the lower I’ve gone on my dose the more sensitive I became.  Last time I took it it gave me serious RLS while going to bed.  I couldn’t fall asleep because I was kicking and jerking so much.  Eventually fell asleep and the following day my mood was actually better but the heightened panic outweighed that.  Thankfully, it has a short life so that only lasted a day.  Not doing that again. 

I started taking Seroquel because I needed to sleep for being functional. 50-75mg. But honestly I don't like it much. Planning to reduce and hoping to cross over to something safer like trazodone or mirtazapine. Perhaps at 25mg it's worth taking it - assuming it's enough to make you fall asleep.

Sometimes I think psy simply don't have many drugs to make people fall asleep and perhaps for many people low / short term use of benzos could be safer than many off label alternatives like Seroquel.