Marinol/Dronabinol

[go...]

Has anyone ever taken Marinol (Dronabinol)? It has synthetic THC - it's the medical marijuana that is sometimes prescribed to cancer patients to help with extreme nausea and vomiting.

I've read that it has some withdrawal effects when you try to stop it, so a slow taper is necessary. I'm a bit worried about starting another medication that will require a taper, but I am desperate to be able to function right now.

Marinol is synthetic sativa THC. My friend who had significant nausea caused by her chemo got a lot of relief from "real" indica as opposed to Marinol.

Are you thinking of something to combat nausea?

I started indica way back on my taper when I had such awful nausea that I couldn't eat. I lost 40 pounds. When I started indica, I got just about instant relief . . . along with "the munchies".

Just a thought . . .  :-\

Katz

Did she try marinol? Did it not work compared to real indica?

I am definitely needing something to combat nausea. I'm leaning towards marinol since weed is not legal in my state so trying to obtain/experiment with it would be very difficult in itself.

Could marinol make anxiety worse since it's synthetic sativa?

The Marinol she took comes in pill form. Maybe it was too high a dose, maybe it was just the fact that it's synthetic sativa . . . but it did make her feel anxious. Sativa (when I smoked in college) always made me feel weird and wired.

I got her some indica (I had a Medical Mj card) from the local dispensary and we tried that. I made it into a tincture which she put in juice) It was very calming, made her feel less nauseous,  and improved her appetite a lot. As it did mine.  :)

Marinol might well make you feel a bit anxious, but you won't know until you try it. I'm so sorry mj is not legal in your state. Indica would be my suggestion for you.

Hope this helps,

Katz 

That's good to know! Thank you so much :)

I'm definitely going to keep indica in mind if nothing else works or has side effects.