V. making me SO sick- thinking about switching to K

[th...]

I was "stabilized" on 10 mg V (divided into 4 doses) just about 3 weeks ago.  I had C/T K. (-.25-0.5) not understanding what was going on.  I don't think I can do a taper from V. though.  I am constantly nauseated, can't eat, losing weight rapidly (just reached 100#), and feel a depression like I've never felt before.  Has anyone had better luck switching back to their original benzo? I was only on K for 38 days....18 doses.

Hello twbnb

You need your strength so you must eat, I know how awful you feel!  but it will get better!  I wouldn't rush it,  I would wait a little while and stabilise first.  You might want to check out the taper boards.  I would take it slow, see how you go.

Planning your taper (Taper Plans)

Magrita :smitten:

Yes, I've got depressing feelings at the beginning. And I could lose 2-3kg in a matter of few days even when I was too tired for walking or exercising.

I partially C/O to Valium from polydrugs (but still taking Fluorazepam 15mg). I don't like Diazepam and I'm trying to stabilize my sleep issues with Quietapine at the moment. But thanks to Diazepam I can do liquid tapering (1 drop = 0,2mg) which is preatty useful for a long tapering.

In case of anxiety some psy support tapering with gabapentin or pregabalin. You may discuss it with your doc.

[e0...]

I was "stabilized" on 10 mg V (divided into 4 doses) just about 3 weeks ago.  I had C/T K. (-.25-0.5) not understanding what was going on.  I don't think I can do a taper from V. though.  I am constantly nauseated, can't eat, losing weight rapidly (just reached 100#), and feel a depression like I've never felt before.  Has anyone had better luck switching back to their original benzo? I was only on K for 38 days....18 doses.

Oh geez, TWBNB! I sure empathize! Every time I've tried to transition to V from xaxax, following Ashton method as conscientiously as I can, I've had problems. Valium makes me very groggy, but ironically, I don't sleep well with V. - it's more like passing out exhausted and waking up an hour or two later still feeling very drugged but unable to continue sleeping!!!

I NEVER had this problem with xanax alone - I could sometimes sleep for 12 hours after a couple of mg of xanax, despite what so many say about interdose withdrawal. Ironically, it's VALIUM that's causing me interdose wakeups, and I can't shake valium's zombie-like waking grogginess that lingers for hours, despite having insomnia!!! And YES, it's depressing!! :-\

I'm up to stage 5 in Ashton's trasition schedule #1. I too am thinking I just can't go on with this V. taper either. Been transitioning for about six weeks now and things are only getting worse.

My eating problems are different from yours, but still not good - I crave carbohydrates (starches, sugars) as never before and don't care for greens or proteins (meat, fish, etc.) like I usually do. (Not healthy!)

Been on xanax for 16 years, and though Ashton Stage 5 still includes some xanax, I'm like you, I seriously don't think I can continue with valium. It's increasingly bad for my sleep, bad for my diet, bad for my clarity of mind and speech. (Plus since adding V., I've developed a spasming tic in my right eyelid that was never there before.)

Can't do klonopin because it gives me total insomnia (uncommon "paradoxical" reaction). But you'll possibly do much better tapering off it by itself. I think I'm gonna have to micro-taper off xanax only. Valium is NOT working well for me! AT ALL!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS NEGATIVE REACTION TO VALIUM!

Oh geez, TWBNB! I sure empathize! Every time I've tried to transition to V from xaxax, following Ashton method as conscientiously as I can, I've had problems. Valium makes me very groggy, but ironically, I don't sleep well with V. - it's more like passing out exhausted and waking up an hour or two later still feeling very drugged but unable to continue sleeping!!!

I NEVER had this problem with xanax alone - I could sometimes sleep for 12 hours after a couple of mg of xanax, despite what so many say about interdose withdrawal. Ironically, it's VALIUM that's causing me interdose wakeups, and I can't shake valium's zombie-like waking grogginess that lingers for hours, despite having insomnia!!! And YES, it's depressing!! :-\

I'm up to stage 5 in Ashton's trasition schedule #1. I too am thinking I just can't go on with this V. taper either. Been transitioning for about six weeks now and things are only getting worse.

My eating problems are different from yours, but still not good - I crave carbohydrates (starches, sugars) as never before and don't care for greens or proteins (meat, fish, etc.) like I usually do. (Not healthy!)

Been on xanax for 16 years, and though Ashton Stage 5 still includes some xanax, I'm like you, I seriously don't think I can continue with valium. It's increasingly bad for my sleep, bad for my diet, bad for my clarity of mind and speech. (Plus since adding V., I've developed a spasming tic in my right eyelid that was never there before.)

Can't do klonopin because it gives me total insomnia (uncommon "paradoxical" reaction). But you'll possibly do much better tapering off it by itself. I think I'm gonna have to micro-taper off xanax only. Valium is NOT working well for me! AT ALL!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS NEGATIVE REACTION TO VALIUM!

The last thing I want to do it switch things up on my poor brain and body AGAIN, but I cannot see how this nausea and weight loss is tolerable for 10+ months of tapering.  Plus, yes, I just feel SO drugged up.  I'm really not functioning.  The other thing I learned today is that V. is the only benz. that inhibits histamine break-down (through your DAO enzyme) so it can also cause histamine reactions, some of which I'm having like palpitations, itching and hives, increased anxiety. 

Thank you for responding.  I feel VERY alone in this, as I know we all do at times.  I'm just very new to to this and it's overwheming.

[e0...]
The last thing I want to do it switch things up on my poor brain and body AGAIN, but I cannot see how this nausea and weight loss is tolerable for 10+ months of tapering.  Plus, yes, I just feel SO drugged up.  I'm really not functioning.  The other thing I learned today is that V. is the only benz. that inhibits histamine break-down (through your DAO enzyme) so it can also cause histamine reactions, some of which I'm having like palpitations, itching and hives, increased anxiety. 

Thank you for responding.  I feel VERY alone in this, as I know we all do at times.  I'm just very new to to this and it's overwheming.

You're very welcome! Now I have to thank YOU now for explaining my increasing problem with sleeping the more valium I take! (Which honestly had been baffling me until now!)

I did not know that V. inhibits DAO from breaking down histamine!! WOW! You've instantly made it all make sense to me - my problems with V. suddenly explained completely!!

Excess histamine CAUSES insomnia and/or restless sleep!!! That's why something like Benadryl (which is diphenhydramine, the main ingredient in most OTC sleep aids) puts one to sleep  - diphenhydramine is an ANTI-HISTAMINE! Inhibiting the histamine in a person's system induces sleep.

Excess histamine also causes anxious depression, loss of appetite, AND nausea to those prone to gastric sensivity.

AND I HAVE PRE-EXISTING HISTAMINOSIS - also referred to as "histadelia" or "histamine intolerance". I have to limit my intake of folic acid, many histaminic foods, and I used to even take DAO capsules with great success, which I had to order from Austria until they stopped  accepting orders from the US (I suspect Big Pharma had something to do with that).

So taking valium has actually been tearing me apart - keeping me so drugged out and drowsy, but not allowing me to sleep because it's keeping my already high histamine levels even higher!! That explains why I've been waking very often at night so congested that breathing through my nose has been completely blocked until I use a neti pot a couple of times. And this constant deeply itchy, burning skin (scalp in particular) - AND PALPITATIONS! - which I didn't mention earlier. I thought it was all environmental, but I was unwittingly putting the actual cause for all of these problems in my mouth! For me, the valium stops immediately. And I'll never try it again. In sum, Ashton's transition plan is an impossibility for me - if I had continued to 100% valium every day, I don't know what histaminic horrors would have developed - I've read they can be pretty serious. I am forever beholden to you! :smitten:

I can't tell you how thankful I am that I posted to your thread, and that you helped me probably more than I was able to help you. Do look through the boards for klonopin tapering threads - I have never done so because klonopin has been like super espresso for me from the very first pill I took. It didn't cause any of this awful grogginess, deep itching, or anxious depression, so the insomnia I suffered with K. was something other than histamine overload.

But klonopin is a benzo often recommended as one to taper from because it is medium-action - lower risk of sudden withdrawals. Valium is a very long-term benzo which is the best for some, but now I know not for me at all (and it seems probably not for you either). Xanax has the shortest action (so don't go there!). I have to micro-dose several times a day to keep from having repeated withdrawals. But at least I know what I have to do and what I can't do now (thanks to you). The Ashton plan goes in the garbage now (and tonight I go to sleep with xanax and benadryl).

THANK YOU :smitten:

PS: Remember you are NOT ALONE in this. It's overwhelming, even frightening and deeply disheartening for many of us. We're victims of "modern medicine" and "Big Pharma" and should never blame ourselves, but know there are hundreds of thousands fighting to get free of benzos. It CAN be done! And you CAN do it! But I can't tell you it will be "a piece of cake" - it's difficult but take it slowly and be kind to yourself. I don't think going back to Klonopin is going to mess up your system, but you probably can't and shouldn't go C/T - it could cause nerve damage and recurring after-shocks for years. Find others here who have successfully tapered from Klonopin. Use the search feature in this site and type in "Klonopin" and/or "clonazepam" and check out the posts until you find the right people or group.

PPS: You can always PM me if you want to moan, whine, complain, or just get a booster shot of support! :) I'm pretty good at doing all that myself, so I don't mind being on the receiving end of it a bit. I promise I'll answer.

No, diazepam doesn't block diamine oxidase. Unless someone has references. Please no websites by snake oil salesmen/women.

author=Maugham1 link=topic=254625.msg3228539#msg3228539 date=1618456665]

No, diazepam doesn't block diamine oxidase. Unless someone has references. Please no websites by snake oil salesmen/women.

I wish it was wrong I also have bad histamine problems cause by Diazepam  :(

Substances decreasing DAO activity in medication Antiarrhythmics(verapamil,propafenone) antibiotics (cefuroxime,cefotiame,acidumclavulanicum,doxycyclinum,isoniazid,framycetin)  , painkillers(metamizole),antidepressants,psychiatric medication(amitriptiline,**diazepam**,

https://www.adrianaduelo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Histamine-histamine-intoxication-and-intolerance.pdf

Most representative drugs with inhibitory effect on the enzyme degrading histamine, DAO: (** look under tranquillisers**)

2.farmacos.1347x873-en-e1544793163642.png

International Society of DAO Deficiency https://www.deficitdao.org/en/dao-deficiency/origin-of-dao-deficiency/pharmacological-factors/

[e0...]

Many thanks to you, Nova.

Tonight I took NO valium for the first time in WEEKS, but I did take a single, regular dose of diphenhydramine (Benadryl)* with my current lower dosage of xanax and I fell into the best, unfragmented, deepest sleep I've had in weeks! And NOTHING itches! :)

*"... inhibition of DAO by cimetidine and dihydralazine and increased activity by diphenhydramine have been observed (97)." https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/85/5/1185/4633007

Having been histaminic all my life, and now enlightened by TWBNB's info, finally recognizing that taking valium has always preceded symptoms of histamine overload by less than an hour, all the dots are finally connected. What I had always thought was surely food or environmental allergies that I could never pin down, turns out to be what I was medicating myself with.

I'd recommend doing a bit of research before posting an unqualified accusation of "snake oil salesmen". And what does "salesmen" have to do with this information anyway? 

Arrogant unresearched ignorance can be pretty embarrassing and it ruins one's credibility. Take it from me, I've been guilty of the same self-defeating pattern.

Check this Swiss website, noting that diazepam (the only benzo listed) is a specific inhibitor of DAO (while NOT an anti-histamine), whereas diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is not a DAO inhibitor - it's an HTMT HNMT blocker (so it IS anti-histaminic, but not to be used often as it can eventually interfere with the natural process of the entire histamine regulation process):  https://www.histaminintoleranz.ch/en/therapy_medicaments.html#dao

Check the list down the page on this webpage entitled "Medications That May Trigger Histamine Intolerance" - again diazepam is the only benzo listed as a DAO inhibitor, but diphenhydramine is not:  https://theceliacmd.com/histamine-intolerance-symptoms-diet-treatment/

There are more, but they can easily be googled.

[e0...]

I'm glad to hear the news is out about diazepam being a DAO blocker. This should be on the label.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: Yes, it should be on the label and in the literature that comes with the prescription, but it's not - I imagine that fact wouldn't be good for the pharmaceutical industry's profits.

But this explains why so many people like me could never make it through the Ashton Protocol (i.e., complete transition to diazepam for many weeks of tapering). Believe me, I've earnestly tried countless times and ended up in unbearable histamine overload every time. I just couldn't connect the dots - I guess something in me just refused to lose diazepam as an easier way out of my benzo trap.

I was always so bewildered and upset about the development of increasingly unpleasant, then incapacitating histaminic side effects when I got close to completing just the transition, when so many people happily reported success.

My doctors, of course, knew little about any of this and were no help at all. It's just that some people simply cannot metabolize such an increase in systemic histamine - and anti-histamines are not a good long-term solution since they soon mess up the complete natural metabolism of histamine by inhibiting the essential metabolic enzyme HNMT (Histamine N-methyltransferase - I got the initials wrong in my previous post - I'll try to get that corrected right away!).

Last night, without any diazepam but a little benadryl, I finally slept deeply and uninterrupted all through the night after all these weeks of miserable, fragmented sleep - I had become so exhausted. I can't thank @ThereWouldlBeNoButterflies and @Nova 1 enough for this revelation that got me going on my own research of this "nasty little secret" about diazepam. VALIUM NO MORE!!!

[e0...]

Do you know if this could be related with tinnitus?

I wish I knew - but I really don't know. I have SSNHL (sudden sensorineural hearing loss) in one of my ears and as a result, have tinnitus 24 hours a day, so I couldn't tease out histamine-induced tinnitus from the hearing loss tinnitus. It's a cruel irony that this kind of hearing loss causes greater tinnitus, a louder INNER noise (entirely a nerve short circuit and nothing more) that further deafens one to outside sounds. SSNHL is not helped by a hearing aid at all - in fact, a hearing aid makes it worse and even painful.

I was tempted to say that histaminic swelling could affect the inner ear and cause tinnitus, but high doses of aspirin - which is an ANTI-inflammatory - causes terrible tinnitus as it reduces inflammation, so again I really don't know.

I'm glad to hear the news is out about diazepam being a DAO blocker. This should be on the label.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: Yes, it should be on the label and in the literature that comes with the prescription, but it's not - I imagine that fact wouldn't be good for the pharmaceutical industry's profits.

But this explains why so many people like me could never make it through the Ashton Protocol (i.e., complete transition to diazepam for many weeks of tapering). Believe me, I've earnestly tried countless times and ended up in unbearable histamine overload every time. I just couldn't connect the dots - I guess something in me just refused to lose diazepam as an easier way out of my benzo trap.

I was always so bewildered and upset about the development of increasingly unpleasant, then incapacitating histaminic side effects when I got close to completing just the transition, when so many people happily reported success.

My doctors, of course, knew little about any of this and were no help at all. It's just that some people simply cannot metabolize such an increase in systemic histamine - and anti-histamines are not a good long-term solution since they soon mess up the complete natural metabolism of histamine by inhibiting the essential metabolic enzyme HNMT (Histamine N-methyltransferase - I got the initials wrong in my previous post - I'll try to get that corrected right away!).

Last night, without any diazepam but a little benadryl, I finally slept deeply and uninterrupted all through the night after all these weeks of miserable, fragmented sleep - I had become so exhausted. I can't thank @ThereWouldlBeNoButterflies and @Nova 1 enough for this revelation that got me going on my own research of this "nasty little secret" about diazepam. VALIUM NO MORE!!!

Hi A  :hug: Did you cut the benedryl , and just use a small piece to help you out? I want to try an anthi histamine but am shit scared of a bad reation as I'm super sensitive to so many things now, and the lack of DAO is possibly contributing to it, I did read something that's said Benedryl raises DAO but as you said it hits another histamine receptor HNMT.

Mind there's a lot of people who weren't on Diazepam complaining of histamine problems as well.  I was CT'd off  a massive dose of Ativan year's ago and was misdiagnosed as having Asthma and given an antihistamine called Triludan ,  but it was taken off the market as it caused heart problems , but it actually helped my symptoms a lot at the time now I know why , and I thought it was because it was controlling the asthma I didn't have my breathing problem were withdrawal induced.

But it helped with a range of symptoms I had and I knew nothing about withdrawal at all, I got  misdiagnosed manic depressive, and I wasn't even bloody manic!!  and the dose I was CT'd off was equal to 300mg to Diazepam!! But the Active metabolite of Triludan is now sold as Allerga in USA and as fexofenadine here in UK, but I'm very worried about potential side effects with any anti histamine and there's a possible moderate interaction with diphenhydramine that's in benardryl and Diazepam.

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

author=Maugham1 link=topic=254625.msg3228539#msg3228539 date=1618456665]

I wish it was wrong I also have bad histamine problems cause by Diazepam  :(

Substances decreasing DAO activity in medication Antiarrhythmics(verapamil,propafenone) antibiotics (cefuroxime,cefotiame,acidumclavulanicum,doxycyclinum,isoniazid,framycetin)  , painkillers(metamizole),antidepressants,psychiatric medication(amitriptiline,**diazepam**,

https://www.adrianaduelo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Histamine-histamine-intoxication-and-intolerance.pdf

Most representative drugs with inhibitory effect on the enzyme degrading histamine, DAO: (** look under tranquillisers**)

2.farmacos.1347x873-en-e1544793163642.png

International Society of DAO Deficiency https://www.deficitdao.org/en/dao-deficiency/origin-of-dao-deficiency/pharmacological-factors/

This is not a scientific study just a review where the authors say diazepam blocks DAO. I don't see the actual data in humans that diazepam blocks DAO. Without data there is no support. In addition, this article lists hundreds of drugs that can all block DAO. But that's not how biology works; there is no enzyme in the body that is affected by so many drugs. None.

Poor histamine is blamed for so many things here. If that were true, taking an antihistamine would take care of all the problems. But it doesn't. So it's not histamine. Histamine intolerance is a sham. Some people get rich by promoting it.

Cherry-picking just one post to debunk this issue? Apparently you haven't studied my posts and the pages I linked to. You exposed yourself by facetiously saying "If that were true, taking an antihistamine would take care of all the problems." Gotcha. You didn't read my posts and links carefully at all! HNMT? Ring any bells?

Keep working on your research skills if you expect to prove with scientific data that your armchair personal opinions are actual facts and stop troubling these people who have real problems with diazepam. This is the behaviour of a hateful old troll. Are you?

First step in proving you're not to be dismissed as a troll: Follow the links I posted, study those pages, then come back with hard scientific data to refute them, with no more personal opinions about this histamine issue which you've never experienced yourself.

It's your turn to show the scientific data that debunks the well-known FACT that diazepam is histaminergic (unlike any other benzo). Stop self-demeaning layman responses - you're ruining your credibility, refuting histamine sensitivity like an old curmudgeon. "Histamine intolerance is a sham." Tell that to children who nearly die, are paralyzed, or die from exposure to peanuts; to people who go into anaphylactic shock when exposed to latex; ad infinitum.

We all do not react the same to the same substances - what's fine for you, may be another person's poison. You obviously do not over-react to the histaminergic potential of diazepam and that's very fortunate for you. However, don't disparage people who do react, sometimes horribly, to the same substance. Most of us here have reacted badly to diazepam with every indication of histamine intolerance. And I wager it was a dismaying surprise to every one of us - I was eager to get on diazepam and taper with it, but have had a bad reaction to it every time I tried. It was NOT auto-suggestion. The reaction came as a complete surprise every time.

Come back when you have some research data to back yourself up.

I have no intention of reading your posts.

Peanut allergies are just that. Allergies. Not histamine intolerance. People with allergies are not intolerant for histamine, they just release histamine to an innocuous antigen. Everybody is intolerant for histamine; the term is useless. It's a huge sham.

I have a question about DAO enzyme inhibition.

When the taper is finished and every metabolite of diazepam is out of the system, does this DAO enzyme inhibition immediately stop? Or it's like withdrawal symptoms that slowly go back with time, maybe even months?

Cherry-picking just one post to debunk this issue? Apparently you haven't studied my posts and the pages I linked to. You exposed yourself by facetiously saying "If that were true, taking an antihistamine would take care of all the problems." Gotcha. You didn't read my posts and links carefully at all! HNMT? Ring any bells?

Keep working on your research skills if you expect to prove with scientific data that your armchair personal opinions are actual facts and stop troubling these people who have real problems with diazepam. This is the behaviour of a hateful old troll. Are you?

First step in proving you're not to be dismissed as a troll: Follow the links I posted, study those pages, then come back with hard scientific data to refute them, with no more personal opinions about this histamine issue which you've never experienced yourself.

It's your turn to show the scientific data that debunks the well-known FACT that diazepam is histaminergic (unlike any other benzo). Stop self-demeaning layman responses - you're ruining your credibility, refuting histamine sensitivity like an old curmudgeon. "Histamine intolerance is a sham." Tell that to children who nearly die, are paralyzed, or die from exposure to peanuts; to people who go into anaphylactic shock when exposed to latex; ad infinitum.

We all do not react the same to the same substances - what's fine for you, may be another person's poison. You obviously do not over-react to the histaminergic potential of diazepam and that's very fortunate for you. However, don't disparage people who do react, sometimes horribly, to the same substance. Most of us here have reacted badly to diazepam with every indication of histamine intolerance. And I wager it was a dismaying surprise to every one of us - I was eager to get on diazepam and taper with it, but have had a bad reaction to it every time I tried. It was NOT auto-suggestion. The reaction came as a complete surprise every time.

Come back when you have some research data to back yourself up.

Ailuron,

You would do well to leave name calling out of your arguments, you diminish yourself and your position with this behavior, its also against forum policy.  If you wish to debate this topic I suggest you start a thread on the Chewing The Fat making use of credible sources, Withdrawal Support is not the place for this. 

As of now, I can see no credible evidence to support your claim.

Pamster

• Be polite towards, and respectful of, your fellow Buddies. We do not tolerate attacks upon fellow members. Any account created for the purposes of causing arguments and/or ill-feeling will be banned.

[e0...]

I have a question about DAO enzyme inhibition. When the taper is finished and every metabolite of diazepam is out of the system, does this DAO enzyme inhibition immediately stop? Or it's like withdrawal symptoms that slowly go back with time, maybe even months?

I don't know. I can only speak from my own experience. My unpleasant histaminic symptoms (restless fragmented sleep, akathisia, intense itching, burning sensations) while on diazepam subside in from a few days to a couple of weeks after the last dosage. It may depend on how much water I drink, what foods I eat, and/or how much exercise I get following the cessation of diazepam. I know that plenty of liquids and hard exercise seem to speed the process, but remember this is only anecdotal.

My last post in this thread. I will move to another section of this site to continue support only for those few who have real histamine issues like I do while on diazepam.

Three good webpages for those few who share my unpleasant experience with diazepam and histaminic reaction: 

https://www.histaminintoleranz.ch/en/therapy_medicaments.html#dao

https://www.adrianaduelo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Histamine-histamine-intoxication-and-intolerance.pdf  Scroll to Table 1 or search page for "diazepam" (without the quotes).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine_intolerance Histamine intolerance is real and has been accepted by much of the medical world.

I have a question about DAO enzyme inhibition.

When the taper is finished and every metabolite of diazepam is out of the system, does this DAO enzyme inhibition immediately stop? Or it's like withdrawal symptoms that slowly go back with time, maybe even months?

Hello, lqtys.  I just conducted a quick search of PubMed looking for empirical evidence that diazepam blocks/inhibits the DAO enzyme in humans. I used the search terms “Diazepam” + “diamine oxidase.” The result was “No results were found.”

The study below found that diazepam did not inhibit intestinal diamine oxidase in dogs:

Sattler, J., Hesterberg, R., Schmidt, U. et al. Inhibition of intestinal diamine oxidase by detergents: a problem for drug formulations with water insoluble agents applied by the intravenous route?. Agents and Actions 20, 270–273 (1987). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02074688