AD vs benzo

[...]

For me it was the benzo, although I was softened up by antidepressants. I rapid tapered my SSRI, practically a cold turkey to be honest, which was obviously a big mistake. I tried to rapid taper the benzo too before I knew any better and that was NOT happening. Not a chance, not anyhow. Coming off the SSRI was truly brutal, electric shock sensations in the head and extreme aversion to anxiety as well as things like struggling with directional sense and other weird stuff. But I could at least sleep on a night and as long as I didn't do much, I could just about function most of the time. I just felt dreadful. Benzos were a different beast and I have been practically disabled for much of my taper due to intense cognitive symptoms.

Well done getting off the benzo. I suggest not rushing off the AD. Do it when you're ready, not before, and taper slowly. You'll be able to do it. That you could taper the benzo should give you the confidence you need. Good luck.  :highfive:

Hi Diaz, thank you, yes I will wait at least 1 year before starting the taper and I will go by 10% reduction at the time:)

The answer to this question is only relative to each person having had a withdrawal experience from both.

In my case, the intensity of the withdrawal from the benzodiazepine was far greater than the withdrawal from the SSRI (and/or the SNRI and/or the SARI).

The SSRI withdrawal was still bad though... just not insanely ‘off the charts’ horrific as the benzodiazepine was.

In other cases, for some, I’ve heard the exact opposite has happened though... 🤷🏼‍♂️

Genetics...