Need help for my Dad

[ma...]

Hi,

I am joining this site for my dad. He has been taking benzos for almost 3 years now. He is 76 years old. The past 3 years have been a night mare. His dr prescribed him Klonopin 3 years ago because he had trouble sleeping. Fast forward to today... he is now on Valium, zyprexa, and enderol, and lexapro. He is at McClean Hospital right now. He feels terrible. Depressed and does't want to live like this. With his psychiatrists help this past summer, he tapered to 2 mg of valium down from 15mg. In December of this year, when he was at 2 mg, the withdrawl symptoms hit. He was very depressed. My family and I are looking for support and ways to help him get off valium without the horrible and dangerous withdrawal symptoms.

Edit:  wording

[11...]

Hello may45 and welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We are glad to have you as a member of our community!  We do have family members of benzo users here who are seeking to be of help to their loved ones.  I am glad your dad has you on his team since benzo withdrawl can be so challenging.  Your father has made good progress on tapering his Valium, 15 mg to 2mg is quite a decrease!  Is his psychiatrist going to help with the remained of the taper?  We suggest a slow taper to minimize symptoms, generally reducing no more than 5-10% of the dose every two weeks or so.  This link will take you to taper plans we support:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

You can use this link for withdrawl support:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

You will be able to find the information and support you seek here so look around and get settled in.  Let us know how we can help.

Best and again, welcome.

Kate