Akathesia Dr recommends Beta blocker Atenolol or amantadine or Sodium valproate

[Au...]

Hi All, since a quick taper off valium from a failed cross over. I’m still on Ativan, doesn’t seem to be helping at all.

It’s been nearly 5 weeks since I finished the Valium. I have been non-functioning since, holding on for dear life.

I have severe Akathesia, panic, Agoraphobia, nausea, insomnia, can’t distract or do anything really. Been stuck like this for 5 weeks. My doctor is good and said it’s my choice to take medication but he’s very worried about me and wanted to put me in hospital.

I don’t want to take meds but I don’t know how to continue holding in this state. Do I continue to hold? Obviously I’m not stable and worried I’ll make things worse if I decrease my Ativan.

I’m trying the beta blocker... baby dose 1.25mg first dose took the edge off, second didn’t do anything. Increased to 2.5mg this morning and waiting to see if it will help.

I’ve searched these meds on this site and found the not many positive stories. Anyone tried these recently or had any experience. Any replies much appreciated.

I was rapid tapered off Ativan using gabapentin and baclofen.  Then like 2 days after the Ativan taper ended, I was directly taken off of gabapentin and baclofen.  I had a resting heart rate of 125, I was non functional, pretty much bed bound and I was having so many PVCs it was considered a non sustainable heart rhythm.  I was put on Metoprolol Immediate release 12.5mg twice a day I want to say like 10 days after being yanked off all three of those meds.  For me it helped.  I was able to start functioning again, it did not take my withdrawals away completely but I am no longer bed bound, my heart rate is a daily average of 84, and I rarely have PVCs anymore.  It helped me to start gaining back a little bit of weight as well.  I lost a ridiculous amount of weight in a short period of time.  It is really a personal decision if you choose to take it or not.  Some people choose not too.  I did, for my personal situation it was take the Metoprolol or go into heart failure.  I did not have your issues with Akathisia though.  All I can say is that for me it helped.

Thank you for your reply. The beta blocker definitely stood out to me to try first. Even though I don’t have any problems with my heart, it races. It use to be 60bpm but it’s now 90bpm. Did the beta blocker help at all with your anxiety?

I’m hoping to gain weight on these meds. I’ve lost a lot of weight too.

Do you still take it everyday? How long did it take to work? Did it only help your PVC and not anxiety? 

Sorry for all the questions.

No apologies necessary.  Ask anything you like.  We are all here to help each other.  It did help with the anxiety.  I do still take it every day.  With the drastic amount of Gaba drugs I was taken off of so quickly, I am sure I will probably be on it for awhile.  And I'm okay with that as long as it keeps me alive.  LOL.  It took about a week or two to fully start working, but I noticed a difference with in as little as 4 days.  On the 4th day my resting heart rate went from 125 to 88 and I was able to start handling more foods without reacting so much.  I mean I still react to a lot of foods, but for me it definitely calmed a lot of things down to a more tolerable level.

That’s very reassuring! I’m glad you’re ok now. Sounds pretty horrific what you experienced.

I’m so glad you replied....I don’t feel as afraid to give this beta blocker a go and that it may take a few weeks to work.

This site has been an absolute life line.

Thank you for your empathy.  I wouldn't say I'm okay now, I am definitely still in the depths of withdrawal but I am more functional now.  Oh this is quite thee experience I can assure you that!  But everyone has a different experience with it.  Not one person is the same. 

Everyone is sooo different.

Withdrawal sucks but your off the junk so that’s a good start. I hope you have lots of love & support around you.

It’s so hard to fill the days and nights! So repetitive when you can’t do much, just trying to survive.

Please keep in touch, I’m sooo bored, up for a chat anytime.