Restoration Of GABAA Receptor Function After Benzodiazepine Use

[Ha...]

[9b...]

Not sure I'd consider myself a scientist, lol.

I did however, read the entire thing.

The entire document brings up questions I have in my head, and hypotheses I have considered.

Example: The effect on the GABA receptor is NOT just about a lock and key effect. A Benzo doesn't simply attach to the receptor like a key activating a lock. There is a chemical reaction that takes place when the Benzo molecule attaches to the protein chains in the Benzo binding site. This chemical reaction damages the receptor very quickly, as the body tries to compensate for this artificial source of hormone.

Supplements do not seems to have anywhere near as nasty a reaction when they chemically activate the receptor.

This is why I believe that supplements are not to be feared if they supposedly activate the Benzo receptor. Their chemical reactions are nowhere near as catastrophic as the Benzo reaction is.

And not all anxiolytic/hypnotic supplements act the same way on the receptor. A good way to test this is to use the drug Flumazenil, which blocks Benzo receptors from being activated (the drug is actually an almost inert Benzo, which means, physically, the molecule will attach to the Benzo receptor, but near ZERO chemical reaction happens. AND the plugged receptor is unable to be activated by any actual Benzos, or Benzo like substances.

For example, all the Z-Drugs are blocked from working by Flumazenil. Ergo: Z-Drugs act like a Benzo, even if chemically they aren't one.

Based on studies I have read (I may do a longer version of this, with links), these are some of the differences in supplements that may determine their usefulness for us:

These supplements ARE blocked by Flumazenil from working

Passionflower

Skullcap

Valerian (partially blocked)

Magnolia Bark.

It means these supplements are having Benzo like actions in the receptor. They appear to be activating the receptor at the Benzo level. Are they dangerous to healing? Passionflower and Magnolia Bark in particular are actually stimulators of BDNF, which is a hormone that helps neurons heal. And these supplements are nowhere near the nuclear level blast that a Benzo drug does. So IMHO? You are doing 2 steps foward, 1 step back using these.

Now, where it gets interesting is here. These supplements ARE NOT blocked by Flumazenil. It means that the supplement will still work unimpeded, even if Flumazenil is administered:

Kava

Hops

Theanine

Melissa (Lemon Balm)

Chamomile

Taurine

Glycine

Melatonin

THC

CBD

So how do they work? The theory is that at least some of these act on GABA receptor sites that are not the Benzo site. And particularly Melissa and Chamomile are also strong stimulators of BDNF. So I would say using these, would be like 3 steps forward, 1 step back.

You are giving me even more reason to try chamomile tea again.  I would be interested in the links to support these statements if and when you have the time :-)

• 2 weeks later...

And not all anxiolytic/hypnotic supplements act the same way on the receptor. A good way to test this is to use the drug Flumazenil, which blocks Benzo receptors from being activated (the drug is actually an almost inert Benzo, which means, physically, the molecule will attach to the Benzo receptor, but near ZERO chemical reaction happens. AND the plugged receptor is unable to be activated by any actual Benzos, or Benzo like substances.

For example, all the Z-Drugs are blocked from working by Flumazenil. Ergo: Z-Drugs act like a Benzo, even if chemically they aren't one.

Based on studies I have read (I may do a longer version of this, with links), these are some of the differences in supplements that may determine their usefulness for us:

These supplements ARE blocked by Flumazenil from working

Passionflower

Skullcap

Valerian (partially blocked)

Magnolia Bark.

It means these supplements are having Benzo like actions in the receptor. They appear to be activating the receptor at the Benzo level. Are they dangerous to healing? Passionflower and Magnolia Bark in particular are actually stimulators of BDNF, which is a hormone that helps neurons heal. And these supplements are nowhere near the nuclear level blast that a Benzo drug does. So IMHO? You are doing 2 steps foward, 1 step back using these.

Now, where it gets interesting is here. These supplements ARE NOT blocked by Flumazenil. It means that the supplement will still work unimpeded, even if Flumazenil is administered:

Kava

Hops

Theanine

Melissa (Lemon Balm)

Chamomile

Taurine

Glycine

Melatonin

THC

CBD

So how do they work? The theory is that at least some of these act on GABA receptor sites that are not the Benzo site. And particularly Melissa and Chamomile are also strong stimulators of BDNF. So I would say using these, would be like 3 steps forward, 1 step back.

This is interesting, Andros.

Do you have sources you could post for this info on which supplements are blocked/not blocked by flumazenil?

I'd be super interested to check that out. :)