Johnson & Johnson vaccine reaction

[go...]

I just got my J&J vaccine this afternoon. I wanted to make this a separate post from the existing threads because this isn't exactly about how the vaccine feels while experiencing withdrawal.

I just want to preface this by saying that I am and have always been bad with needles. I don't want to scare anyone, but I did want to share my experience. I don't think what happened is super related to the benzo withdrawal. I very recently realized I didn't just taper fast, I tapered WAY too fast and probably need to hold or updose for my health, and have been feeling very terrible for several weeks (intense nausea being one of the symptoms).

I went to a CVS to get the vaccine. The shot itself didn't hurt too bad. Afterwards, my arm started getting very sore. I haven't had a shot in years and this feeling was very odd/painful to me and I think I panicked. I passed out. When I came to, I felt horrible and vomited a few times. After that, my stomach hurt intensely. The pharmacist was understandably a bit concerned and couldn't get a blood pressure reading on me because the only cuffs they had were too big. Because of this, he called EMS to come and make sure I was okay. They came and checked my vitals which were fine, but because of everything that has been going on healthwise, including benzo withdrawal, they wanted to take me to the emergency room. I got checked out there and everything looked fine except for low potassium, so they gave me some potassium pills to take, and then I left.

Things I learned from the nurses at the hospital:

- If you are underweight, it is more likely that you will pass out/have a reaction to getting a vaccine or blood taken because you don't have a lot of reserves (not sure if it's likely overall, but you are more likely than if you are at a stable weight).

- A lot more people have passed out from the J&J vaccine - but only because those are the people that are bad with shots/needles and tried to get the vaccine that only requires one dose.

- If someone is healthy otherwise, it isn't super concerning if they pass out from getting a vaccine. It is a vagal nerve response, and some people have that when it comes to needles. Throwing up is very uncommon, but it does happen.

I'm glad I am vaccinated. But would I have gotten the vaccine knowing what would happen? I don't know.

Personal takeaways:

- It's now much clearer to me that my health is somewhat in jeopardy again because of the taper. I may need to put it on pause or updose (have read everyone's responses in my other post but haven't collected my thoughts enough to reply yet!)

My advise:

If you have a history of not reacting well to shots or needles, and you are struggling in the withdrawal right now, if you can safely wait to get the vaccine, that might be a good idea. Again, I don't think most people would react as badly as I did, just given the weird combination of health issues and fear of medical things I have.

I will try to update everyone in the main thread about how the vaccine relates to the withdrawal in the next few days if I am feeling well enough to.

In your particular case, it is probably best to decline the vaccine. Are you under 50?  Even if you are healthy with no morbidities but an older individual like me, careful consideration must be given to the risk versus benefit analysis. This virus is no joke. I just talked to a guy I use to work with for nearly 20 years. He was waiting to get the vaccine but had not received it yet. In Jan of 2021, he contracted COVID. He gave it to his wife and son. They recovered ok with minimal SXs. He OTOH was not so fortunate. He did not end up in the hospital, but he was sick from it with a fever. He ended up losing his hearing (100%) in one ear and 30% in the other ear and the doctors are saying it is permanent hearing loss, unlikely to return. Now, he has a hearing aid.

Oh my gosh that's terrible! Is he okay other than the hearing loss?

I am under 50. My doctor told me she was very concerned about me contracting COVID, more so than any side effects of the vaccine. I'm not in a super healthy place right now. I am glad that I got it for the protection - I think I reacted like that because I'm not in a healthy, stable place right now. But it's definitely not something I expected and I'm not sure it was the right thing to do. It's hard to say.

Last night I had a low fever, headache, and intense body aches all over. This morning I have a pretty bad headache and some aches, but much better than last night.

I am so glad you went through with the vaccination.  I was worried about a reaction so I ate a banana and drank a bottle of of water prior to my appointment which was at 8:30am.

Hopefully you are past the worst of it and you will have some protection moving forward.

Hang in there!

Thank you, seasalt! Hope you are doing okay as well  :smitten:

I had a fever the evening I got the shot, and I think the next day as well. The body aches gradually went away over a few days - I barely felt them today. I'm hoping I'm over the response now!

Hey Goldendood,

Might this not 'just' be a vasovagal response to stress? Stress from the shot itself (do you have a history of passing out or feeling faint after or at the thought of a shot or needles?), stress from seeing your arm swell and fearing the reaction from what was injected, stress from the settings...? (nurses, 'medical smells' etc etc...)

Hope you feel better soon!

And well done for getting your vaccine  :thumbsup:

I just had an appointment with my doctor. When I described what happened, she said it was like a gave the textbook answer to a vasovagal syncope LOL. I think that's what it was. Stress from the shot was definitely a factor though.

I'm doing better from the shot - thank you so much!!

Congrats on being benzo free for over 3 years - that is amazing! Hope you are feeling great :)

I wonder if you could have controlled it with breathing?  You will be ready for it next time, maybe bring a friend that can talk to you calmly and reassure you it will be fine.

I wasn't too nervous going into it - I've had a lot of practice lately with labs and controlling my breathing. Maybe I didn't focus as much on it after he took the shot out? My doctor said it's also a lot more likely to happen to someone underweight, which I am very underweight right now, so it might have happened whether I was breathing perfectly or not.

Unless booster shots are necessary, I hope I only have to get one shot since I got the Johnson & Johnson. You're definitely right - I'll be ready and know what to expect if I have to get another one.

I’ve always been very sensitive to injections and experienced panic and fear.  When I was in school (dental field) we took blood samples between us (classmates) I did very well at the practice but when I saw the vile of blood that came from me and I held it,(it was warm) I fainted in the classroom.

Another day I had some regular blood test done at the medical lab and also fainted

Another time I had an injection (antibiotic) because I was having a very bad flu episode and I also fainted when the needle came through the glute.

I was also very underweight and nervous...I was very young and was not taking benzos, since then I do not look at needles, Viles, site of injection...etc. I always let the nurses know that I do not want to see blood or needles by any chance...It ‘s ironic because I work in the  dental field and I see needles all the time, the problem is when the procedure is being done on me I get very nervous.... it’s very weird and hard to explain

Oh wow, that is strange! I can't look at needles whatsoever, even if it's for other people. Bodies are so weird.

I'm glad you are able to do what you like even though it involves needles!