Help with first taper!

[Cg...]

Hi All!

I’ll keep this as short as possible - My doctor and psychiatrist aren’t aware of how to begin a taper process, so wanted to get your thoughts here:

Background:

Was on Ativan, 1mg/day for about 2 weeks. I was then provided Klonopin and was taking .25mg-.5mg everyday for a week and then every other day for another 2 weeks. In my attempt to get off them, I stretched it to every 3 days, but on the 3rd day off, the agitation, paranoia, insomnia, racing thoughts, and headaches are unbearable so I take another .25mg and repeat the above process.

I know it’s not a lot but I’m sensitive to medication and I guess my body developed a dependency fairly quickly. My question is this - Would it be better to keep stretching out my doses as far as I can and lower the dosage I take each time? Or would I be better served taking it every day in smaller and smaller doses? Thank you!

Most members who take Klonopin report that by the third day is when they begin to feel symptoms so you're right on time, the problem is you're putting your body through terrible whiplash by taking it like you are. 

Our suggestion is to find a dose to take each day and get stabilized on that, then begin a slow taper where you reduce a bit and take that amount for a week or two, then reduce again, rinse and repeat.

Your brain craves consistency and you haven't been giving it that so by taking a small amount each day and reducing very slowly you may be able to minimize the symptoms you're feeling.  The whole point of tapering is to find a way off the drug while remaining functional.

What is the smallest dose of Klonopin that you feel you can take each day that will allow you to perform whatever duties you normally do?  Functional is what we want to see, this doesn't mean feeling great, it means being able to take care of your life.

Pamster's advice and question are key; I don't want to interrupt you getting back to her!

Definitely consider the lowest dose you can remain functional at; clonazepam is strong stuff and once you go up, it's hard to get back down. I'm also sensitive to medications and I was completely unaware and misled by my doctor (he suggested up to 6mg/day for headaches!); so I'm coming down from 2mg/day and it's a long haul...

Once you decide on a steady dose to take, I suggest taking it at the same time every day, within an hour or so. I also take my dose several hours after or 20 minutes before eating, especially for anything fatty. This just seems to make a big difference for my absorption.

I also suggest that you start planning a slow taper while you stabilize; it can be fiddly and there's a learning curve to find a personal methodology, especially at the doses of clonazepam that you've been taking. Basically, many people find it's hard to cut the pill small enough to do any safe reductions that way. But it's an excellent benzo for tapering in my opinion, and your short time benzo use is going to be in your favor (assuming you've shared your full history with benzos).

I just wanted to pipe in that I'm here to help you consider a liquid or liquid/tablet taper if that's what you'd like to try. I'm doing a liquid/tablet DMT myself. I make a homemade liquid that's 0.125mg/ml; basically 1/4 of a 0.5mg pill per ml, making it extremely easy to taper with a 1ml oral syringe with 100 gradations.

Again, not to get ahead of things... stabilize first on a steady daily dose. And PM me if I miss a thread of yours and you want liquid suggestions, especially for a liquid DMT; I'm happy to help. To clarify, I don't offer tapering advice by PM, just bug me by PM if you want my attention on a thread.

I'm glad you're here!