My personal concern taking the covid 19 vaccination

[Ma...]

Because my brain/body is in the post benzo healing 1 year out, with nowhere close to being 100% healed. People ask me if I've taken the vaccine shot yet. I tell them NO, I'm not ready to take it yet. Too tell you the truth I'm any anti vaccine shots. My brain/body goes into tailspins, setback or waves whatever you call it just from eating certain foods and supplements after stopping benzo permanently. I cannot image what short and long term side effect will the vaccine do to me. Right now I feel I need to heal before taking the vaccine. Some close friends and family members says pretty bluntly you rather not take and die from covid or take it and just deal with short flu like symptoms for serveral days, giving me the guilt trip. Anybody took the vaccine shot during post benzo healing.

Hi Mark!

It sounds like you have been through a lot. First, congratulations on being benzo-free and getting through the most acute part of withdrawal!

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I'm very nervous when it comes to medications, especially a vaccine that will likely legitimately cause me to feel badly temporarily. I tend to have weird reactions to random things and I have a history of allergic reactions. But, I have decided to get the vaccine. I really thought about how I feel now and tried to think about what it would be like if I got COVID. Even if the vaccines don't 100% protect against getting the infection, they do protect against severe cases resulting in hospitalization or worse. Because of where I am in this journey (not yet done with the taper, not super functional, not very healthy yet), I realized that if I were to get COVID, it would be bad. Really bad. Getting the vaccine does not excite me and I'm very scared I may have some bad reactions or waves, but it is a trade-off of knowing I'll be much safer if I do get exposed to the virus. My doctor said she is very concerned about me getting COVID and the vaccine is the best thing to do. She also said that the vaccine side effects aren't anything I'm not already experiencing.

I also have lots of food sensitivities (not from benzos, just throughout lifetime) which caused me to have an eating disorder where eating new things or things I haven't had recently scares me. It's hard to make myself eat sometimes, even if I don't feel sick. It's going to be hard to get that shot and accept that I may feel badly. But I know that I could be protecting myself against something very serious, as well as protecting my family and anyone I'm around.

My suggestion is to have a very honest conversation with your doctor and/or therapist. Tell them your concerns. Ask if it's best for you to wait a few months while taking as much precaution as possible still (you may heal a lot more in a few months). I would also suggest if you get one, get the J&J vaccine since it is only one dose, and people tend to not have as much of a reaction to it, particularly people in this community. The other thing I like about it is that it is a viral vector, meaning the RNA that your body needs to read/recognize is transported inside of a different, weakened virus. Like a super super weak cold germ, so your immune response isn't likely going to be extremely strong. I also justify it by separating it from medicines and supplements that have a direct effect on some part of your nervous system that can sometimes cause your body to freak out into what it really is - something that provokes a small immune system response.

Seasalt52 is a user that just got their vaccine. They have an autoimmune condition, too. Check out their post history: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=147789 . I think it would help to read through their thought process as well.

Of course, ultimately, it's completely up to you. I can definitely let you know how my vaccine goes if that would help at all.

Hello goldendood, thanks for your reply. Reading your views

keeps me more open minded. Let me know about when you take your vaccine shot.

Mark

Hi Mark, I can totally relate and won’t be taking the vaccine either until fully healed and feeling comfortable to take the risk. You aren’t alone...

Mark,

I had the vaccination yesterday, I am doing well today.  I have terrible reactions to what seems like everything, just recently a reaction to a bandage.  It really through me into a tailspin.  I have been working from home for over a year and homeschooling my granddaughter.  My husband was concerned that we may not be able to be around her when she returns to school in the fall as I am so compromised.  I DID NOT want to get this vaccination.  A year ago today I was going through a multitude of tests and with every injection I had a terrible reaction.  I no longer knew my body and the medical anxiety kicked into high gear.  A friend of mine called me and said she could get me the Johnson and Johnson administered at a local fire department.  She assured me that there were services immediately available should I have a reaction.  She got me on a list and my anxiety began as I though about it has the days, hours and moments got closer.  Benzo brain fear and anxiety took over and I literally thought I would not be able to do it.  The night before I got no sleep, I literally made myself sick.  I was so exhausted I literally caved and just pushed through.  I am so glad I did, it is over!  I had minimal reaction to it and now I can let the fear go, and it is such a great feeling.

This is such a personal decision for everyone, but please know I have been where you are. I have no idea how you will respond should you decide to move forward, but please know if you have questions or need reassurance I am here to help. 

I think it is great that you live in a country in which you have the choice or the option to get the vaccination. This gives you a safe feeling, cause if you feel ready it will still be an option for you and I would, if I were you, concentrate on this fact and let the fears or opinions of others aside.

I completely regret getting my 2nd Moderna dose.  Was feeling quite good, got 2nd dose of vaccine and got two days of low fever and aches (totally expected).  The 3rd day I have been struck down with the worst tinnitus, Brian fog, vertigo and anxiety of my life.  It has now been over a week with no change.  Desperate for answers I found the Tinnitus after Vaccine group on Facebook.  Everyone same story and they seem to be adding 50 people a day.  Please be very careful.  My two cents..

I completely regret getting my 2nd Moderna dose.  Was feeling quite good, got 2nd dose of vaccine and got two days of low fever and aches (totally expected).  The 3rd day I have been struck down with the worst tinnitus, Brian fog, vertigo and anxiety of my life.  It has now been over a week with no change.  Desperate for answers I found the Tinnitus after Vaccine group on Facebook.  Everyone same story and they seem to be adding 50 people a day.  Please be very careful.  My two cents..

The sad thing is that tinnitus after a Covid infection seems to happen often, too.

I hope it will get better fro you. :smitten: