79 Days past Klonopin C/T can I take Ketotifen for Mast Cell Activation problem

[PL...]

Hi Everyone,

It's been sometime since I have posted. I have been off Klonopin C/T for 79 days and had two weeks without nerve pain in my feet and hands. Suddenly the pain and burning has returned with a vengeance in the last week. My Naturalpath Doc wants me to go on another RX called Ketotifen 0.5mg once a day because my histamines are off the charts and it is supposedly a mast cell stabilizer. He is prescribing it because I have Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. I'm not sure if taking this new drug is a good idea since I am still in withdrawal so it seems but I would appreciate some opinions please.

Thank you!

Edit: Added medication to subject title

Hi Everyone,

It's been sometime since I have posted. I have been off Klonopin C/T for 79 days and had two weeks without nerve pain in my feet and hands. Suddenly the pain and burning has returned with a vengeance in the last week. My Naturalpath Doc wants me to go on another RX called Ketotifen 0.5mg once a day because my histamines are off the charts and it is supposedly a mast cell stabilizer. He is prescribing it because I have Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. I'm not sure if taking this new drug is a good idea since I am still in withdrawal so it seems but I would appreciate some opinions please.

Thank you!

Edit: Added medication to subject title

Hi PL369..

Sorry I dont really have any advice or experience with that med..  I have had a probable recent histamine and nerve episode though, and a standard antihistamine sure made me feel better but im not prepared to proceed with it without proper help with MY specific situation...

I had to take a few short term meds, Prednisolone and Naproxen, and my body didnt like it too much in that state, but that has little relevance to you I imagine..  I think were it me, I would work closely with your Dr and see how things go..

Has your Dr determined why you have this issue and validated it with any testing (as best they can)..??

Hi and thank you for your response. The medical community doesn't really know at this time why certain individuals develop Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Klonopin is a Mast Cell stabalizer so my Doc tells me and that is why I was on it. The symptoms from my condition can mimic Benzo withdrawal at times because of nerve pain and pre seizure kinda stuff. I just wasn't sure if it was a safe med to take if I am still in Klonopin withdrwal. The doctors and pharmacists seem to know far less than the great individuals on this forum so I thought I would throw it out there before I accidentally hammer another nail in my coffin. lol!

Thank you again!

[e4...]

So this would be an attempt to figure out if you're suffering from some kind of mast cell issue versus benzo withdrawal??  At a quick glance, the side effects don't look any worse than for most antihistamines, but each person must carefully study and weigh the risks of starting a new drug.

So if the new drug doesn't significantly diminish your symptoms, then would you assume that your symptoms are mostly due to benzo withdrawal (and stop taking the ketotifen)??

fwiw - 79 days isn't very long following a c/t.  I was still very symptomatic at 79 days (but improving in ways).

I actually have not taken the Ketotifen yet. I am not sure what is going on really. My arms and legs ache and my nerves burn really bad in all my extremity's. I had this when I first went off of the Klonopin and about three weeks ago all the pain just went away for two weeks and then recently came back over the last week worse than what it was originally.

The pain is wearing me down and I am not sure if taking a Benadryl might help because I have really high histamines or if this is not a good idea because of being off of the Benzo for such a short period of time. Still debating on the Ketotifen! I am trying to get relief without making things worse if this is at all possible.

The Ketotifen is also a mast cell stabilizer, pain reliever and anti histamine all in one pill. I have never taken it before and because my body is so sensitive and I suffer from environmental illness I am almost afraid to take anything my Doc is handing out to me these days.

I have actually thought of reinstating on the Klonopin but that is probably my foolishness talking to my rational mind and trying to over power it.

I understand these are impossible questions to answer especially from an outsiders point of view but this has become so overwhelming as far as my quality of life is concerned and I am struggling like many others on this forum.

[e4...]

A lot of people take/try Benadryl.  It seems to be very well tolerated.  I took it to try to get more sleep (it helped a little). 

If you've tried a low histamine diet and it hasn't helped, then you might be looking in the wrong direction.

It kind of sounds to me like you had a nice two-week window, but then your c/t withdrawal kicked back in.  Can you think of anything that might have started such a window (or that might have ended it)??  The muscle aches and burning can certainly be benzo withdrawal-related.  I had sore (and twitching) muscles for months as well as burning in my extremities (sometimes searing pain - felt like the skin was being ripped off).

I'm sorry for the discomfort.  It does get better, but it often takes much more time than it should. 

I have been on Ambien 10mg for fifteen years. I was doing fine until I switched to Teva Generic brand of Ambien because that is all the pharmacy had available at the time to refill my prescription with. I am now back on Torrent which is the generic Ambien I have been on for most of the years on the medication because my body was being strange with the Teva. So the Pharmacy put me back on Torrent. About a week after that I started aching really bad and my brain feels really fast all the time like it is sped up.

I don't feel I can go off Ambien while in withdrawal from Klonopin C/T.

That is what I think happened but I'm having so many symptoms daily it's hard to tell what is from what anymore.

Thank You!