Mirtazipine and hair loss

[To...]

I started mirtazipine about a 5 weeks ago (7.5mg) and started to notice the thinning and shedding of my hair about 5 days after I started the mirtazipine.  I don’t know if it’s from the clonazepam, clonazepam withdrawal, or mirtazipine (since all three are relatively new).  I know many experience this as a withdrawal from the benzo. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced hair loss from mirtazipine.  It’s not listed as a common side effect. If anyone has any knowledge/experience with this please reply. I was getting wonderful sleep with the mirt, but if it is the cause of the hair loss then I will start weaning off it. Thanks.

I personally haven’t experienced hair loss with Mirtazapine.  I have experienced it with other medications in the past though.

Thanks for the response heather. It might be the withdrawal and the mirtazipine. I meet with my doctor on Wednesday and will ask her about it. It’s been nice for sleep at night even though I am still very groggy in the morning after. I cut my dose down to see if that has any effect. Many other sources say it is still very effective as a sleep agent at low doses, but if it causes hair loss, then that is too much more unneeded stress.

I've read many members report hair loss during benzo withdrawal, this process seems to create havoc with our hormones.