Considering taking Ambien 10mg for sleep. Would this be a mistake?

[ma...]

I'm having a very difficult time sleeping and my doctor recommended I temporarily take Ambien 10mg to help get some much needed sleep. Being off of benzo's now, would this be a mistake? I'm concerned it might set me back in the progress I've made. My doctor (who I trust) said he didn't think I was in withdrawal still (only took benzo's for about 2 month) and most of what I'm currently experiencing is due to sleep deprivation (leg cramps and squirmy feeling, light nausea, light ear ringing). It's true I've only been sleeping about 3-4 hours a night for several weeks now and am really feeling it. Appreciate any buddy advice. Thanks!

My personal opinion, which could be completely wrong and is open to critique, is that if you can you should avoid taking them. They operate in a similar fashion to Benzos, they are just chemically different. They hit the same receptors. The symptoms you describe sound like benzo withdrawal symptoms, and from my recent experience, doctors have no idea of the lengthy withdrawal processes these drugs can involve.

I took Zopiclone (lunesta) another Z drug, for 7 weeks, having taken my last one in December, it was only last night that I slept 8 hours and it finally felt like normal sleep again. The last 4 months, particularly December and January, were horrific and I had about 30 zero nights over those two months. I was told by doctors that withdrawal shouldn’t last longer than 5 days. They were very wrong. I am sure this experience was similar to countless others on this forum. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

[20...]

I'm having a very difficult time sleeping and my doctor recommended I temporarily take Ambien 10mg to help get some much needed sleep. Being off of benzo's now, would this be a mistake? I'm concerned it might set me back in the progress I've made. My doctor (who I trust) said he didn't think I was in withdrawal still (only took benzo's for about 2 month) and most of what I'm currently experiencing is due to sleep deprivation (leg cramps and squirmy feeling, light nausea, light ear ringing). It's true I've only been sleeping about 3-4 hours a night for several weeks now and am really feeling it. Appreciate any buddy advice. Thanks!

Bad bad idea.

If you can sleep 3-4hr on your own, you have MUCH better choices than another Benzo in disguise (Ambien).

You can use some natural supplements: I'd try the following:

1. Glycine

2. Taurine

3. Kava

4. Melatonin.

I bet you pick 3 out of those, and use them in rotation, would net you 5-6hr nights.

Another alternative is to get Mirtazapine, and cut the 15mg pills into 4 pieces (approx 3.75mg) and see how they work for you. I bet you get a 7hr night with it like this.

Thanks guys. Okay, I'm going to hold off. I am able to sleep some, just not much and it's pretty poor quality. One thing I failed to mention is I've been taking 50 mg of Trazodone each night for a couple months. I'm getting 3-4 hours when I take Trazodone. It helps just not much and I'd like to stop taking it eventually. I'll keep muscling through it and hope for better sleep soon. I'll also talk with my Doctor about Mirtazipine or try some of the natural options Andros01 mentioned. I've already tried Valerian and Melatonin. Thanks again!

Can I just say, 3-4 hours? I wish I could get 3-4 hrs every night. Right now I am getting 0-3. Sometimes if the stars align I might get 4 if I take a unisom and it actually works.

Jump on the z drug thread if u really want to see what zs are capable of.

And u trust ur dr? I trusted mine too and ended up on a list of drugs as long as my arm.

Please don’t do it.

Shayna 78 - I decided not to take it after the earlier replies. Thanks for voicing your warning too. I took my usual 50 mg Trazodone last night but added 2mg melatonin (CR) and managed to sleep from 10pm - 2am straight. I’ll take it. I hope your sleep starts to improve. We’re in this together!

I’m glad u decided against it x glad u got 4, that’s enough x some people that have never taken Benzos only sleep that long. Quality not quantity x

Andros01 - What bad side effects did you experience while taking Trazodone? I’m taking it now and continue to have cramps and squirmy feelings in my legs. Just wondering if it’s possibly related to Trazodone.

[20...]

Andros01 - What bad side effects did you experience while taking Trazodone? I’m taking it now and continue to have cramps and squirmy feelings in my legs. Just wondering if it’s possibly related to Trazodone.

It's possible. Trazodone has anti-cholinergic action, which could be causing those side effects. Mirtazapine has much lower anti-cholinergic action, but some people experience restless legs with it.

I've used both. On Trazadone, the 2 biggest side effects for me were: severe stuffy nose, and severe constipation. On Mirtazapine I still have to manage the constipation, but it's much less pronounced, and I get almost zero added stuffy nose.

Dear Max, 

Please don’t take Ambien because it works on virtually all the same receptors as Valium.  I truly believe that you could start withdrawal all over.  Consider yourself very fortunate to be off all benzodiazepines.  I would not recommend taking any Z sleeping drugs or any alcohol as they could cause you some real problems. 

I would use Unisom ( Doxylamine Succinate). or Melatonin or other herbal solutions.  Also,  learn to accept that if you don’t sleep one night or two your it’s ok... your body will ultimately let you sleep. 

😊

Thanks again everyone for all the warnings. I never took the Ambien. I really appreciate all of you saving me from making a big mistake. I'm going to just learn to accept that I'll be living on 3-4 hours sleep right now. It could be a lot worse. Miraculously, I managed to sleep really well Saturday night (got about 5-6 hours) and woke up feeling the best I've felt in a long time. Many of the symptoms I've been experiencing (light ear ringing, bad cramps and squirmy feelings in my legs, nausea) were vastly improved. I think I'm actually healing better than I realized and I'm primarily feeling so bad from the residual insomnia. I am going through a ton of stress at the moment, which I need to get a handle on. Although lack of sleep sucks, this brings me hope that one-day when I start sleeping normal again things will greatly improve. Thanks for all the support!  :smitten: 

I've been taking 50mg Trazodone for the last two months, but it hasn't been that effective. I average around 3 hours sleep on it and have been experiencing the bad side effects (stuffy nose, constipation and waking up with a racing heart beat). I want to stop taking it. I've been resistant to taking any supplements, but a few days ago I started taking Melatonin extended release (4mg) and Glycine (3 grams) since Ambien was a bad idea. I also talked with my doctor about Mirtazapine, which he prescribed for me instead of Ambien. Thanks for the recommendations!

So last night, I took the following ... 1 hour before bed the melatonin extended release, then right before bed Glycine and one Mirtazapine. On that combination, I slept pretty soundly from 10pm to around 4am. I did wake up a few times, but was able to get back to sleep. The Mirt made me feel a little groggy when I woke up, but not bad at all. It's really one of the best nights of sleep I've had in a while. Appreciate all the help!

[20...]

I've been taking 50mg Trazodone for the last two months, but it hasn't been that effective. I average around 3 hours sleep on it and have been experiencing the bad side effects (stuffy nose, constipation and waking up with a racing heart beat). I want to stop taking it. I've been resistant to taking any supplements, but a few days ago I started taking Melatonin extended release (4mg) and Glycine (3 grams) since Ambien was a bad idea. I also talked with my doctor about Mirtazapine, which he prescribed for me instead of Ambien. Thanks for the recommendations!

So last night, I took the following ... 1 hour before bed the melatonin extended release, then right before bed Glycine and one Mirtazapine. On that combination, I slept pretty soundly from 10pm to around 4am. I did wake up a few times, but was able to get back to sleep. The Mirt made me feel a little groggy when I woke up, but not bad at all. It's really one of the best nights of sleep I've had in a while. Appreciate all the help!

Glad the Mirt is helping. Did you take the full 15mg? You might not want to use all of that stuff at the same time. Try the Mirt on its own first and see how you do with it.