GABA - the supplement

[Po...]

I’m tapering off 50mg of tramadol that I was taking for bad back pain. Don’t want to take it anymore. My PCP has recommended I take the supplements 5HTP & GABA. I’m an ex-benzo head. Been off benzos a long time. I asked if the GABA would do anything to my gaba receptors and mess up my being off benzos. He said NO, it would not be a problem. I don’t know how savvy my doc is about all this kind of stuff so I’m here asking. Any reason I should not take the GABA supplement??

I hope you get your answer.  I read somewhere on this forum that taking valerian root is like taking a very low dose benzo.  Maybe GABA is the same.  I tried GABA years ago and didn't get notice any calming effect. 

I’ve been reading it doesn’t cross the blood brain barrier so makes me wonder what’s the point?? Also makes me wonder about my pcp recommending it 🙄

That is such a good question! I just did a little bit of research (like only a tiny bit, so this may not be totally accurate).

It seems like even if GABA can't cross the blood brain barrier, it can still be taken up by GABA receptors in your gut. This is connected to your brain through the vagal nerve.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health/gaba-supplements-glorious-gimmicky-or-just-garbage I got my info mainly from this article if you want to read the whole thing. Seems like the consensus is that GABA could still help but you probably won't feel incredible relief from it compared to things like benzos.

Thanks Goldendood: I dont know, maybe I will try it. My PCP also suggested 5HTP.....Ive determined that I have gone and got myself stuck on 50mg of tramadol 1x per day and now I have to get off it......I should have known better, I caved to the back pain that kept me awake night after night. Stupid!!! Just happy I didnt end up like some folks who take 500-1000mg/day  :idiot: Supposedly it can be tapered off of quicker than a benzo or AD, but can be very uncomfortable. My PCP prescribed a Rx of liquid form of it so I can make cuts, but he only gave me a 30 day supply with no refills. I know Im going to have to ask him for at least 1 one refill  :tickedoff: I know once I am done with this next challenge I'm DONE!!!