Mirtazapine/Remeron

[0d...]

[0d...]

For those considering going on mirtazapine/remeron really really consider not doing it. It is the reason I never got better from the benzo withdrawal and tapering off Remeron is extremely difficult.

If I didn't go on Remeron I might have survived but not anymore.

I'm just putting this on here to warn people.  You will come across posts saying Remeron helped but if you keep reading these people's posts you will find it was very difficult later on to come off and or/ they are back on other drugs now. 

Oh yikes

That makes me really scared. My psychiatrist told me to start taking mirtazapine when I started my taper. I'm still doing a super low dose (7.5mg) but I really don't want to have to go through any kind of withdrawal again.

If you feel okay answering, why were you put on mirtazapine? Was it supposed to be a long-term or short-term thing? How much did you take?

My psychiatrist prescribed 15mg of Remeron for sleep while I am tapering off klonopin and it works really well.  I usually get 8 hours of sleep a night which is a big help for daytime withdrawals. I am also taking 20mg Lexapro and 1500mg Gabapentin to help with the anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...

For those considering going on mirtazapine/remeron really really consider not doing it. It is the reason I never got better from the benzo withdrawal and tapering off Remeron is extremely difficult.

I'm just putting this on here to warn people.  You will come across posts saying Remeron helped but if you keep reading these people's posts you will find it was very difficult later on to come off and or/ they are back on other drugs now.

I tried it twice. First night I slept fine, next night I had terrible restless legs (a known side effect). Definitely not for me. Don't want a repeat of that second night. YMMV.

I know some people cycle Remeron with other meds, mostly anti-histamines, so they don't develop a dependency on the Remeron. Also, many recommend using smaller doses, they often sleep well on half or quarter of a pill; this might contribute to less dependency. Remeron needs to be tapered off of to prevent discontinuation syndrome.

Remeron was very difficult for me to get off of while also dealing with benzo withdrawal.  However, I had taken it a couple different times many years ago (before benzos) and never had a problem stopping it. 

Part of the problem was that I was taking 15mg and when it was decided to stop it, my doc told me go down to 7.5mg for a week and then discontinue.  No bueno.  Nearly ended up in psych hospital.  However, with a slower taper and getting down to a 1/4 of a 7.5mg pill, it wasn’t terrible.  Felt rough for a few days afterwards but then rebounded.

I agree with you Jbreezy415 i just came off 1.5 year 30 mg and iam having alot of issues iam not tapring v at the moment iam to unstable this drug f**ks with your sleep so badly when you quit it iam 4 week remron free and still having sleep issues muscle cramps muscle pain but there's no way iam going on this poison again beware people from this drug its not as innocent as people think

[26...]
This is interesting. I have been taking 1.5mg a night to sleep and it is so helpful. I wonder if I need to taper to get off of that dose? It's been a month.

Sorry to read that this happened to you, but be careful with making blanket claims/generalizations like this. Medications have a different effect on everyone. I personally had 0 issues coming off of Mirtazapine/Remeron and never went back on any drugs.

• 1 year later...

This happened to me too.  I am disabled by this drug and on two more as a result.  Hope things are better for you.

@[fl...]

There is a whole sub group on this. After taper off diazepam and being 2 months clear I went on 2 mg mirt. For 10 weeks.

Made me functional.

Tapered off over 10 weeks - no real issues at all.

Would recommend people to look at the us group threads.

• 1 month later...

There’s 100% no need to scare vulnerable people. Rarely does any drug work completely the same for everyone and because you didn’t respond well, it doesn’t mean others will have your experience. Remeron/Mirtazapine has worked beautifully for me. My depression and anxiety was entirely too much after tapering klonopin and I feel soooooo much better since I began taking it. I haven’t even considered taking an “emergency” dose of k since I began taking mirt 6 weeks ago. In fact, my chronic nausea and diarrhea completely resolved after beginning it. It’s a good drug and not all people have bad experiences,  nor does everyone have trouble discontinuing it.

While tapering xanax my Dr. prescribed 15 mg remoron. I was at the worst point of my life and the first night I took it I actually slept 10 hours. More than I have in most weeks. I woke up tired but anxiety free. My xanax taper went great real slow from .25 to .025. Sleep was fine and anxiety gone. I was ready to jump after one more cut. This worked great for exactly one year. I woke up in the middle of the night and had mild anxiety. 3 weeks later I am back where I was a year ago. I kept the xanax  at .025. My Dr wants to increase the remoron to 30 mg. Very frustrated I thought I was done with the xanax now not sure what to do