First walk!

[go...]

This might not be a huge milestone, but I really wanted to share! I went for my first walk in months today!! I've been mainly in bed for the past 8 months. The walk was really short, but I saw ducks and felt the sunshine and the wind. I felt calm for a few minutes.

Now I'm really tired and wiped out, but I'm excited I felt like I could stand and walk around!

Thank you for reading :) We got this!

Good for you.....being out in nature is such a wonderful place to be, especially now with spring in the air!  Onward and upward!!!

But it is a huge milestone, GD!!! I’m so happy for you!

Did ya ever think, a few years back, that just walking would be something to celebrate, when it was so commonplace? I get it. Most BB’s get it, and it is a huge accomplishment. Keep going forward.

xx Lil ❤️

Thank you so much, Lilgma!

I definitely never thought I'd be celebrating going for a super short walk, but I'm really happy to have the support of people who also see that as a huge milestone!

I see you are so close to being done with your taper - you're doing great! Stay strong  :smitten:

This really is a big deal. Congratulations on a very literal and figurative step in the right direction on the road to healing!

Congratulations!  I remember when I was able to get off the couch and move around.  It was a big deal to have a little bit of energy and the motivation to do something.

You are off to a great start.  Just listen to your body and don’t get frustrated if there are days where you don’t feel like moving. 

Hooray! Congratulations and thanks for sharing this triumph. Perhaps it'll be helpful to remember now that there will be days when you can't walk, and might think you're regressing. I often have to remind myself that each DAY is the real progress; sure is nice to see results though!

Just another sign that you can do this!  :smitten:

Thank you all so much! This community is absolutely wonderful :)

sunshine, LOL great point!

RShack and slownsteady - I definitely needed the reminder that healing is not linear. I got hit with a pretty intense wave yesterday that I think will likely hang around for a bit. Trying to tell myself that the fact I felt up to a walk is major progress regardless of any waves that hit me.

When you see a glimpse of relief and/or normalcy run towards it -

I don't mean literally run, unless you're up for it.

What I mean is you felt that relief outside of the air and the sun. Keep doing that. Keep doing the things that bring you the warm fuzzy feelings. If you get tired or symptomatic take a break, and then still keep doing them.

• 2 weeks later...

You keep going !!

I remember how bad that was , I was in bed almost 24/7  the last year of taper and three months after I jumped . I remember how the air smelled and how life was still going on around me .. it was really amazing . I had pots really badly for over a year  after I jumped , so I had to go slow but I walked and walked and walked everyday and now I HIKE !

I have never wanted to hike in my life but I do now . At 25 months off I hiked 700 feet up the side of a mountain here in the Sierra's without even sitting down to rest .

I still walk 5-6 miles a day and do the big hikes once a week . I have not been this active since they put me on this stuff regularly in 2004  You will be active too once again . Let it make you good and tired , you will get your strength back .

This is a huge milestone! I’m so happy for you!! Watching the world pass by from a window and finally being on the other side and walking is so wonderful. I remember those housebound days very well. It is a massive achievement and u should be so proud of urself. There are more and more walks in ur future x never give up x

Wait a minute, I just realised I have gotten out of the walking habit. I'm only on less than two walks per week, which is puny for me. Sometimes I let my routine fall away to see how I feel without being so precious about self care. But this is just a bit lazy and perhaps in fairness waiting for some sunnier weather. But life is better when I am walking regularly and when I get going, I can do the long ones with ease and I love it. It makes me feel alive. This thread inspires me to get back to what's good for me. I am lucky to be able to get that benefit.  :nono:

When I was at my worst, my dad would hold my hand and walk me outside to sit in the sun. Then up the street and back then around the park and back. Now I walk 10kms most days on my own. When I’m having a bad day I try to remember how much worse I was. We definitely heal x just too bloody slowly! We will all get there.

It’s lovely to be outside and I think it helps to distract from the trauma endured at home. It makes us appreciate our home again, at least it feels that way for me? Now after a big walk I’m glad to be home coz I’m tired x