I can’t find a low glutamate food list anywhere.

[Fo...]

Getting frustrated, all i can find on the internet is “what not to eat,” but i can not find a food list to lower glutamate.  Everyone talks about a low glutamate diet, but where’s the foods I can have?  My brain is not doing too hot right now, would love any help.  Thank you!

[5c...]

Mostly seems to involve avoiding processed foods.

I'd encourage you to not overthink this.  While it's probably good to avoid foods like MSG and maybe signifiant quantities of tomato paste, it's impossible to avoid all sources of GLU/GLN (glutamate/glutamine).  I suspect that the chemical (benzo) withdrawal coupled with triggers and background (personal) anxiety accounts for far more surges than what comes from food.  Some people have caused themselves significant stress trying to strictly adhere to a particular dietary regimen. 

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Thats the key isn't it? not overthinking it but at the same time just living a good diet for benzo w/d and not worry about it.

Glutamate from food does not cross the Blood Brain Barrier and does not effect glutamate in the brain. Numerous studies done that have shown this to be factual. Here's a more recent one. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/26334807_The_blood-brain_barrier_and_glutamate

Heather Ashton recommended eating a whole foods healthy diet devoid of overly processed food. People using Valium may benefit from either taking DAO supplements, or adhering to a low histamine diet, if histamine is an issue for them. A lot of these diets can be hard to adhere to, and are both stressful and unnecessary. MSG is controversial, and studies are mixed on that. Most say it does not cross the BBB, but a few have found that in some cases it does in some amount. I'd say skip the MSG, and just eat real food, and cut out processed junk. Your brain's glutamate is not affected by the food you eat. But benzo W/D can make one sensitive to various food additives, seasonings and spices, as well as acidic foods such as tomatoes and citrus, due to GABA receptors in the digestive system. Seems a lot of people suffer from some form of dyspepsia or GERD. So you may want to avoid MSG and tomato products because your stomach is sensitive to them.

Glutamate from food does not cross the Blood Brain Barrier and does not effect glutamate in the brain. Numerous studies done that have shown this to be factual. Here's a more recent one. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/26334807_The_blood-brain_barrier_and_glutamate

Heather Ashton recommended eating a whole foods healthy diet devoid of overly processed food. People using Valium may benefit from either taking DAO supplements, or adhering to a low histamine diet, if histamine is an issue for them. A lot of these diets can be hard to adhere to, and are both stressful and unnecessary. MSG is controversial, and studies are mixed on that. Most say it does not cross the BBB, but a few have found that in some cases it does in some amount. I'd say skip the MSG, and just eat real food, and cut out processed junk. Your brain's glutamate is not affected by the food you eat. But benzo W/D can make one sensitive to various food additives, seasonings and spices, as well as acidic foods such as tomatoes and citrus, due to GABA receptors in the digestive system. Seems a lot of people suffer from some form of dyspepsia or GERD. So you may want to avoid MSG and tomato products because your stomach is sensitive to them.

Where did you find the info about DAO supps?  I believe this is why I am getting crushing histamine symptoms every morning when I wake up. Thank you!

Where did you find the info about DAO supps?  I believe this is why I am getting crushing histamine symptoms every morning when I wake up. Thank you!

On this forum. You can buy them on eBay, Amazon, various vitamin and supplement suppliers. I use Hista_Resist that I found cheaper on eBay than Amazon. But it's not always on eBay. Most are Bovine or Porcine kidney-derived, but some make ones from pea seedlings/sprouts.

How have they helped you?

They provide the DAO that Valium blocks reduction of, the DAO from the supplements break down histamine in food. I also take Vitamin C to reduce histamine production.

For the first month after going CT, I made myself SICK with food anxiety. I was constantly checking labels, buying organic, making lists of yes/no foods and etc. It was horrid. It took a while for me to realize that as long as I stay on the healthy side and balance my sugar levels while staying away from processed foods.

I won't lie, it still happens. I have starved myself (not willingly - the anxiety caused my brain and body to refuse anything remotely "bad" for my body) for 2 days one time.

Don't let yourself give in to the food anxiety. Whole foods, fruits, veggies, greens (kale, spinach and others), chicken, nuts... that's my advice. I'm not a pro with terms and such but I hope this helps.

For the first month after going CT, I made myself SICK with food anxiety. I was constantly checking labels, buying organic, making lists of yes/no foods and etc. It was horrid. It took a while for me to realize that as long as I stay on the healthy side and balance my sugar levels while staying away from processed foods.

I won't lie, it still happens. I have starved myself (not willingly - the anxiety caused my brain and body to refuse anything remotely "bad" for my body) for 2 days one time.

Don't let yourself give in to the food anxiety. Whole foods, fruits, veggies, greens (kale, spinach and others), chicken, nuts... that's my advice. I'm not a pro with terms and such but I hope this helps.

I've been telling myself the same, and it's basically what I'm trying to do. But, I have histamine reactions to certain foods (I get all itchy), so, I have to worry somewhat and try to figure out the best type of balance I can. 

I've been telling myself the same, and it's basically what I'm trying to do. But, I have histamine reactions to certain foods (I get all itchy), so, I have to worry somewhat and try to figure out the best type of balance I can.

Oh no! That must be a challenge for you. I hope you find that balance soon! I remember the day I ate a slice of white bread (you know, the bad kind aha) and didn't feel bad for it.. I knew then I was going to be okay.

:thumbsup:

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: