Return of GI issues

[Ga...]

Hello fellow benzo buddies.  I had GI issues in the first several months of withdrawal, and then things seemed to settle down with no major issues.  Now at my one year anniversary from my last Valium dose, I have begun to have some of the same issues, I,e,, bloating, nausea, and GERD.  I was diagnosed with IBS back in the 90’s, but have not had any real issues until BWD.  I woke up feeling awful this morning with nausea and gassiness, and an overall feeling of ick!  Just had my second Pfizer vaccine five days ago, so do not know if that is an issue.  I did have a period of feeling unwell for about six days after my first shot.  I am somewhat concerned that I may now have SIBO, which I have read about on several of the benzo boards.  I am wondering if I should contact my Gastro doctor and see if I should get tested?  I tried taking a probiotic recently, and I felt worse after taking it!  I have been eating quite a bit of sushi lately, leaving out the soy sauce!  Mainly eat salmon, veggies, eggs, toast, and bananas.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Hello Gardenguru,

Sorry the GI issues came back. I have been having IBS for over 30 years now. Some periods with lots of problems, some with hardly any! What I do know is many things can have an impact on it.  Food, stress, lifestyle, etcetera.

Maybe you could just wait for a while to see wether things are going to settle down again. Salmon and fish in general are really healthy foods to eat, but too much fat is never a good thing. You could try taking it easy for now.

It could also be a reaction to your vaccin shot.

Good luck.

Trochsetter

Thanks Trochsetter and Bess55 for your support and informational posts!  I went back and checked my calendar and have noted that after both of my COVID-19 Pfizer vaccines, I had the exact same symptoms of nausea, headache, and flu-like symptoms.  Monday of this week was my second dose and on Tuesday I noted that my nausea and IBS symptoms began and are continuing up to today.  After my first vaccine I was ill for about six days.  Plus, I must admit that my husband bought me some ginger cookies (thinking ginger would help with the nausea), and I stupidly ate way too many....of course they were loaded with sugar.  I will buy the wild caught salmon, as I have only been eating the farmed salmon!  Maybe I need to lay off the sushi for a while, too?!  I will take your suggestions and lay low for a while and consider this may just be a wave and will work its way out.  BTW, I just posted on milestones and celebrations that I have just marked my one year anniversary post taper from 5mg of Valium.  My doctor just called me and said he thinks I am having a reaction to the vaccine, as my symptoms have been the same after each shot!  He does not think I need to be tested for SIBO at this point, just to eat healthy and take it easy with my diet....and try not to stress!!!!!  Take care and healing wishes coming your way :smitten:

Hi Gardenguru,

I think you'll be fine again in a day or 4. You made some wise decisions and I 'm certain it'll work out alright.

Btw, Congratulations on your milestone!  ❣👍

Trochsetter

GG,

I love sushi too..... mmmmmm. Boy do I miss it!

But, I won't eat it. Soysauce is fermented and can cause issues while in WD. Many sushi items have sauces with soy sauce in them. I actually have not had Chinese food in almost 2 years. Booooo, but anyway just be cautious. I understand you had a few issues from the covid vaccine.  Just throwing you some info you may have a sensitivity to the sushi too.

Take care.

Hi Miss Fortitude!  Yes, I will lay off the sushi for a while!  I never use the soy sauce, I mainly eat the rolls and some salmon and eel.  I just spoke with my doctor and he thinks because I’m am so sensitive to so many things right now, that I am having a bad reaction to my two Pfizer shots..the day after each vaccine I started with nausea, flu-like symptoms, and a constant headache.  Both of his nurses had a bad reaction to the Pfizer and were ill for three days.  So, I figure and hope I will feel better by the weekend.  This time last week I was out in the garden digging in the dirt.  Wow, how these withdrawal symptoms ebb and flow :tickedoff: 

Thanks, Trochsetter for your congratulatory wishes and your suggestions!