About to start tapering from clonazepam to diazepam, but is it the best choice?

[de...]

On clonazepam for several years.

I've been adjusting to taking clonazepam three times a day for about the past four days. Previously I took it once a day (for 7 years) and then hit tolerance recently. 

The first day was difficult, but otherwise it kind of ebbs and flows. Exercise and staying active has been helping. Withdraw symptoms are there, but they're mostly manageable.

Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Should I give it a bit more time to get used to taking three doses a day (of clonazepam), or should I just jump in with the diazepam? Again, it's only been 4 days and I'm still a bit jittery.

2. I've read so many stories about people who've said they wish they just tapered without a substitution. Should I try to just taper with clonazepam slowly, on my own and skip the diazepam?

It has been difficult at times to get my clonazepam script filled for the past several years, and I've already had trouble getting my diazepam script filled on time. These troubles come from my doctor, pharmacy, and insurer. I HATE knowing I have to be at the pharmacy on the day when my meds run out, and still not even be sure that i get it. Doubles the anxiety.

Knowing that I have a bit of clonazepam on hand makes me feel a little better. I don't have any extra diazepam, and that makes me nervous. I've never even used diazepam.

3. If I do choose to take diazepam, do I take it along with the clonazepam at the same time?

If you can give any insight to any or all of these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!!

[63...]

I'd stay at your current dose for at least a week.  Hopefully, your jitteriness abates.

I've become a big fan of people tapering the drug they've been using.  Crossovers are a bit risky and take time that could be used for tapering.

Thanks for your input, badsocref!

I think I'm going to ride out this 3mg for maybe a week or so more and then start tapering on Klonopin alone for the next 6-7 months.

The Klonopin has been making me oddly tired recently, as if I just went on it or took a high dose, though I still feel a bit of anxiety in my gut, but it's definitely getting better since I made the switch from two to three doses a day just this week. Today I slept in an extra 2 hours without the withdraw effects waking me up, so that was nice.

It's tricking me into thinking this will be easy. Hopefully, it will be.

I'm still wondering how I'm going to deal with the daily doses. I guess I'll probably follow the Ashton schedule for that, just without the diazepam.

Best of luck!