Neurogenic Shock from Ativan 10-14mg Daily Withdrawal

[Da...]

Hello everyone,

I wanted to write this post, because I knew nothing about benzos or benzo withdrawal when I was originally prescribed Ativan. I never would have taken it if someone would have actually explained what "develop a dependence" meant. The second reason is because I developed Neurogenic Shock from the inappropriate rapid "detox" that the hospital put me through, and everyone should know that neurogenic shock is a possible complication of benzo withdrawal.

I was told that my vision problems were due to my Ativan, so I decided to stop taking the Ativan cold turkey. I knew nothing about benzo withdrawal, and I didn't even know that I would have a withdrawal. It never crossed my mind. I stopped taking my Ativan on Monday, Feb 22, 2021. I was admitted to the hospital on Friday, Feb 26, 2021. The hospital labeled me a drug addict, despite my prescription being completely legal and legitimate. I was rapidly "detoxed" over 2 1/2 days. During those 2 1/2 days I was given 5 10mg Valium.

While in the hospital my blood pressure continuously decreased, as did my heart rate, and my oxygen. By Friday night I couldn't hardly speak or raise my arms or head. I had burning chest pain with extreme pressure that steadily got worse. I was told that I was experiencing anxiety, and that there was nothing wrong with me. The 10mg of Valium that I was given hardly took the edge off of my symptoms. My blood pressure continued to drop.

I had no knowledge of benzo withdrawal, and I asked ever person who entered my room what I should expect. I was too weak to google anything, or use the phone to call anyone and ask. I was told that everyone was different, and that I would feel "bad," but that I was fine. Despite my continued drop in blood pressure I regained some strength, and I was discharged on Monday, March 1, 2021. I felt worse than I had ever felt in my life, but I couldn't get the doctors to listen to me when I said how bad my stomach hurt, or hear anything about the other symptoms I had. I was told that I had been "tapered off," and that I was good to go.

I thought I would feel better once I got home, and I was wrong. I continued to develop acute withdrawal symptoms, and my blood pressure continued to decrease. I, luckily, was able to see my doctor the next morning who quickly had me sent for test to determine why I hadn't developed the classic tachycardia and high blood pressure that usually accompany benzo withdrawal. I was diagnosed with neurogenic shock from the hell that being cut cold turkey off of such a high dose of Ativan caused on my nervous system.

I know that neurogenic shock is extremely rare, and I hope no one else ever has to experience it while going through acute withdrawal. I know how lucky I am not to have suffered seizures Cting off such a high dose. I'm still having problems keeping my blood pressure above base line, but I am improving, and my acute symptoms are starting to decline.

I honestly thought that I would be better by Wednesday when I was discharged from the hospital that Monday. I am so happy that I've found Benzo Buddies! I had no idea what withdrawal entailed, but the fear of the unknown was alleviated by being able to read other's posts on here. I wish all of you the best recoveries and strength throughout your healing. 

Thank you for explaining what happened to you, I've never heard of Neurogenic Shock, how terrifying.  You were treated terribly and given a ridiculous label which you didn't deserve, I'm sorry.  Thank goodness your Dr listened to you and validated your condition.

I'm glad you're educating yourself, this process creates so much fear in us, but knowing what's really happening to us helps dispel it.

Hey there,

Wish you weren't here! But welcome to the club :(

Especially the rapid and CT club.

That's funny that you talk about your BP going low, because mine did the same thing. They kept trying to give me a beta blocker for "anxiety" but they couldn't because my BP was too low. Took around 4 months for my BP and HR to come back to normal.

I was an Ativan and poly drug nightmare too.

So sorry! You will learn a lot here and get some good support.

Welcome!  I’m so sorry that happened to you.  Just out of curiosity though, if you are comfortable with answering.  How are they treating your neurogenic shock?