New member in a bit of a crisis, asking for your insight

[we...]

Hey folks,

I have been tapering off Cipralex after 10 years for the better part of 6 months. I had also been given benzos for emergency use during that time, wasn't on them consistently.

A week ago I burnt myself out and started to have severe insomnia. I can get to sleep, but the split second I get to sleep I have a hypnic jerk, or my mind releases a little 'zap' or 'rushing' sensations. This will go on all night long, maybe 100 times even, and has only been stopped using an OTC sleep aid. I don't believe I'm actually getting any sleep, maybe a little unnoticed.  Can anyone relate to this?

I just need to know I'm not crazy. I'm on day 3 of no sleep and I don't feel sleepy at night anymore, I just stay awake until I start to nod off, and these little zaps kick in. Brutal cycle. I know it will take some time to start to settle again and claw my way out, will try to do it without more drugs but it's awful while you're in it.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

They're perfectly normal. Can be dam annoying when falling asleep, I was getting a flash of burning smell which would shock me awake, which was fun. It's just your brain clicking back into place and will pass. Omega 3 fish oil is supposed to help with the brain zaps. Might be worth trying, always start with a low dose tho as you don't know how you will react to anything in WD.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

"A lot of us have found omega-3 fatty acids, commonly found in fish oil capsules, help withdrawal symptoms.

Our nervous systems need omega-3 fatty acids for healthy operation. Because of factory farming, which depletes nutrients in food, our food may not be providing us with the daily amounts of omega-3s our bodies need.

The effect of fish oil, if you feel any, is very mild. But your nervous system uses omega-3 fatty acids to repair itself.

Around the Web, some people say omega-3s are particularly good for brain zaps."

Ok that's great to know. This is such an awful experience I just need to get a bit of sleep to reset. Dr has given me a new Rx for benzos but I don't want to open that box again.

Ok that's great to know. This is such an awful experience I just need to get a bit of sleep to reset. Dr has given me a new Rx for benzos but I don't want to open that box again.

Wise choice, wish I hadn't gone down the benzo route. But what's done is done. You should check out savingantidepressants, there's some good info there.

Hope you get some sleep soon

Oh yes, I can totally relate and remember.... especially when you said it happens all night like 100 times!!! Dang, yeah that was me for sure.

It's like your brain tries sooooo hard to go to sleep. It SUCKS! I thought it would NEVER ever ever end. But it did after about 4 months off, I started getting sleep by the half hour and then the  hour.

Are you still tapering?