Zzz quil for sleep instead of remeron

[ti...]

The active ingredient in Zzzquil is Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride...not the most effective OTC sleep aid.  Doxylamine is more sedating for most people and is still OTC.  Think Unisom or equivalent.

Also, if you have Benzo or z-drug induced insomnia, neither of these may help???

You'll have to try them out to see.  And if they do work, I'd only take them 2 or 3 times per week max. 

[b3...]
Zzquil is junk. It is directly responsible for me going on a stupid Z-Drug in the first place. When my insomnia started (due to a traumatic event), I bought a Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzquil because in Canada you can't get Unisom with Doxylamine anymore. It worked twice and then it stopped.

Thanx guys

Doctor wants me to try

Remeron for sleep and anxiety

Start at 7.5 milligrams for seven days

Then go up to 15 milligrams

Just nightly

How many hours before bed should I take

[b3...]

Thanx guys

Doctor wants me to try

Remeron for sleep and anxiety

Start at 7.5 milligrams for seven days

Then go up to 15 milligrams

Just nightly

How many hours before bed should I take

Were you sleeping with 7.5mg? Was there a particular reason why you bumped it to 15?

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV....JK

In my experience and opinion, I'd start with 3.75mg and go up from there....

I started at 15mg and went up to 30mg...didn't help for sleep.  Later on on tried about 5mg and got about 3 hours of sleep 2 different times, but then completely stopped taking it.

All drugs quit working for most people at the current dose given enough time

At higher doses, Remeron (aka Mirtazapine) works like an AD, at lower doses it works like an antihistamine.

[b3...]

I started at 15mg and went up to 30mg...didn't help for sleep.  Later on on tried about 5mg and got about 3 hours of sleep 2 different times, but then completely stopped taking it.

At higher doses, Remeron (aka Mirtazapine) works like an AD, at lower doses it works like an antihistamine.

Just by sheer force of necessity, most of us know these drugs far better than most doctors, even psychiatrists, who are supposed to be the experts.

Just by sheer force of necessity, most of us know these drugs far better than most doctors, even psychiatrists, who are supposed to be the experts.

So true...and pharmacists are usually way better than doctors too.  I relied on what my pharmacist told me rather than my doctor.  Sometimes my pharmacist would scratch his head and say "what the hell is he prescribing that for?"  Literally.  That was when he prescribed me haldol for sleep.  I never got the prescription filled.  Looking back, I was so glad I didn't.  That drug has a lot of nasty and potentially permanent side effects.

[b3...]

So true...and pharmacists are usually way better than doctors too.  I relied on what my pharmacist told me rather than my doctor.  Sometimes my pharmacist would scratch his head and say "what the hell is he prescribing that for?"  Literally.  That was when he prescribed me haldol for sleep.  I never got the prescription filled.  Looking back, I was so glad I didn't.  That drug has a lot of nasty and potentially permanent side effects.

My doctor was fine with me increasing my Zopiclone to 15mg for an entire month. I'm glad I never did that. The hole to crawl out of would have been so much deeper.

My field is technology, not medicine. I can set you up a Cisco or Brocade switch 6 ways from Sunday, but my knowledge of these pharmaceuticals was the same as most people: "Valium and Xanax are for people with anxiety, and Ambien and Rohypnol were for people who needed to sleep" and that was about the end of it.

I had no freakin' idea how dangerous these substances were. At least with Cocaine and Heroin, your torture is a few weeks at most, not months (or years).

The sad thing is when I was prescribed the Zop, the first week I began to read everything about it, and I read about the "rebound insomnia" and how in studies, it lasted a few days only, 3 to 4 days. Yeah, my ass. The first week the pills were working so well, I thought "I will put up with 3-4 days of insomnia to sleep now for this month".

Those 3-4 days ended up being 2 months, where the first month was basically zombie land, and the 2nd month sleeping with Mirtazapine (which I also learned about extensively).

If I were a doctor and someone came to me with sleeping problems, I'd access how bad the condition is (can this person sleep at least a couple of hours? or nothing at all?). What people call insomnia, most of us would consider an amazing night ("Oh I had insomnia last night, I only slept 5 hours"). The clueless fools have no idea.

Anyway, if the person can sleep, I'd have them try Cannabis first, along with a mandatory CBTi course. If that wasn't working, Mirtazapine.

Benzo like substances only in dire emergencies (surgery for example).

"Anyway, if the person can sleep, I'd have them try Cannabis first, along with a mandatory CBTi course. If that wasn't working, Mirtazapine.

Benzo like substances only in dire emergencies (surgery for example)."

Yes, you nailed it for alternatives to drugs for sleep and what people call insomnia.  My wife will say, "I slept like crap last night" and I'll ask why and she will say because she woke up 4 or 5 times and I'll say well how long were you awake each time and she says like a minute or two and I'm like REALLY!  That's not insomnia nor a sleep problem IMO.  I wouldn't care if I woke up 15 times a night, if I could fall back to sleep in a minute or two!

[b3...]

"Anyway, if the person can sleep, I'd have them try Cannabis first, along with a mandatory CBTi course. If that wasn't working, Mirtazapine.

Benzo like substances only in dire emergencies (surgery for example)."

Yes, you nailed it for alternatives to drugs for sleep and what people call insomnia.  My wife will say, "I slept like crap last night" and I'll ask why and she will say because she woke up 4 or 5 times and I'll say well how long were you awake each time and she says like a minute or two and I'm like REALLY!  That's not insomnia nor a sleep problem.  I wouldn't care if I woke up 15 times a night, if I could fall back to sleep in a minute or two!

the 2nd month when I started getting some sleep back, I would be on 7.5mg Mirt, and even then getting 2hr, but after a couple of weeks I was getting 5hr with less Mirt (3.75mg). But those 5hr were very light, and I'd wake up every hour or so, but would be able to go back to sleep. I'd stay in bed for a good 10hr though

[b3...]

Did u or anyone u know try cannabis for sleep

If so what brand and dosage

I have. Pamster provided a good thread where I have regularly posted to.

I have so much weed right now in my cabinet I think I would be classified as a dealer by Canadian laws, lol

• 1 month later...

Zzquil is junk. It is directly responsible for me going on a stupid Z-Drug in the first place. When my insomnia started (due to a traumatic event), I bought a Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzquil because in Canada you can't get Unisom with Doxylamine anymore. It worked twice and then it stopped.

You can get Doxylamine Unisom on Amazon (Canada).

Generic Benadryl works pretty good and is fairly cheap. I still use it from time to time. Taken about an hour or so before bedtime helps reduce morning grogginess.

[b3...]

You can get Doxylamine Unisom on Amazon (Canada).

I have one. I've only used a couple of tabs. When I needed it, it would have taken 3 weeks for me to get my hands on it. If I had known at the time about Remeron, I would have asked the doctor to give me that instead of Zopiclone.

Sadly, Amazon does not sell Unisom directly. A 3rd party sells it thru Amazon. So I couldn't get fast delivery.