wake up with the left half of my face not working

[C-...]

wake up with the left half of my face not working, went to the hospital, they said it is bells pasly, I started taking a stain right when this happened, I mentioned this to doctors and the pharmacist they all said its a coincidence, I do not agree.

The doctors give a steroid and an antivirus for this, was on rivitrol for 15 years, 8 months free, only in the last month was I starting so see some windows. I took the meds that night when I woke up it was panic and doom on a different level then I have ever experienced and I have admitted myself to the hospital when I first went into withdrawal. I am walking about 7 hours a day trying to calm down but it just wont end, a beta blocker is the only thing stopping a heart rate above 150.

only took the steroid and anti viral for one day, that was a week ago and I'm still so bad, I might have to go to ER but they might put me back on benzos, its so bad right now that I might have to reinstate, I don't know how I'm live through each day

the only thing helping is an antipsychotic they tried putting me on at the beginning of my withdrawal years ago , I don't know what to do anymore, my body cant take much more 

wake up with the left half of my face not working, went to the hospital, they said it is bells pasly, I started taking a stain right when this happened, I mentioned this to doctors and the pharmacist they all said its a coincidence, I do not agree.

The doctors give a steroid and an antivirus for this, was on rivitrol for 15 years, 8 months free, only in the last month was I starting so see some windows. I took the meds that night when I woke up it was panic and doom on a different level then I have ever experienced and I have admitted myself to the hospital when I first went into withdrawal. I am walking about 7 hours a day trying to calm down but it just wont end, a beta blocker is the only thing stopping a heart rate above 150.

only took the steroid and anti viral for one day, that was a week ago and I'm still so bad, I might have to go to ER but they might put me back on benzos, its so bad right now that I might have to reinstate, I don't know how I'm live through each day

the only thing helping is an antipsychotic they tried putting me on at the beginning of my withdrawal years ago , I don't know what to do anymore, my body cant take much more

Bumma.. :(

A few of us have had (search -Bells palsy type) symptoms, often following an “event”..

Sorry, I tried to dig up one of my posts on my experience, but the were either in the Protracted board, or unsuitable is some way.. Cant even find my original thread on it.. -if you look and dont find anything -sing out..

Otherwise, -if I can help..??

Did you get any myoclonic jerks or “brain zaps” prior to the loss of face nerves..?

I guess we just gotta step our way through these things, as with the whole sad show.. :(

One advice, look after your eye if its lost eye lid function, esp at night.. -drops, ointment, patch, even tape if needed..

Are you having sinus issues (or maybe ear congestion)?

From 2yrs ago, it was slow but by 1yr about 50% recovery to say 70% normal function.. Stable and stationary at that..

:)

C-Low, don't panic.

I had Bell's Palsy about 15 years ago. No one knows what caused it, but I was just on the tail end of a very bad flu when it happened. Apparently having had a virus often precipitates this. I woke up and couldn't see out of one eye (right). I couldn't lift the eyelid. Also, the right side of my face was drooping. It scared the daylights out of me. a friend drove me to the ER and I had a CT scan. They thought I'd had a stroke, but I hadn't.  Then they worried I might have a brain tumor, which I didn't. So, by exclusion . . . Bell's Palsy. Treatment was steroids -- I was on prednisone for a couple of weeks, as I recall. The acute phase of the condition lasted for about three weeks . . . then it got better and better every day. At first I drooled a lot and had to tape my right eye open so I could watch tv or read. But gradually my eyelid regained strength. And I stopped drooling lol.

But my recovery was not complete. I still have a somewhat droopy right eye that doesn't completely close or open. I have to use gel drops at night and ordinary drops during the day. The right side of my mouth is a tiny bit droopy as well. But I consider I got off lightly. Go ahead and Google the condition. It's self-limiting.

You don't need to be put back on benzos. And do take the steroid. It's an anti-inflammatory and will help the condition resolve. And please don't panic. Your panic is making your bp and heart rate go crazy. If the beta blockers has been prescribed for you, take it. It will help. but most of all, try to calm down. As for that antipsychotic, please don't self-medicate! Yes, this is distressing and I'm sure it's made worse by your benzo taper -- I had terrible health anxiety on my taper.

I got through this by myself. A friend drove me to the ER and then I "recovered" at home. Friends made me food and checked on me, but mostly I was alone. You can do this! I'll say it again -- try not to panic!

So, I hope this helps you.

I don't think starting the statin (?) had anything to do with this. But who knows. It might have. I'd drop the statin and revisit that with my doc once the Bell's has stabilized.

As with most things, this passed.

Best to you,

Katz

thank you all for the responses, I want to be clear, I am 8 months free of all benzos after being on for 15 years, I was at the point in the last month where I was still in PAWs but it was manageable. After taking the prednisone for 2 days I am off the charts with doom and panic, worse then when I tapered or jumped, I have little memory of the last week except for a doom that I cant put into words, prednisone has not only put me in a set back but I am worse then I've ever been.

the bells doesnt scare me, I have a bit mouth movement  back, but the panic and doom 24/7 is just not manageable, at this point having my family discussing hospitalization and I'm not disagreeing with them

C-low, you don't have a signature so not sure if you're still on the benzo's or off?

im not sure how to put this information in my signature, sorry

C-low, you don't have a signature so not sure if you're still on the benzo's or off?

im not sure how to put this information in my signature, sorry

Go to Profile and then Forum profile and there will "Signature."  You can write your drug history there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hows things going C-Low..??

-I just had a second event as of 1wk ago..  -2yrs post the first.. The comparison has been a big help to me and MY situation..

An answer to my first proor question would be of some help to me, -if possible..

ty

• 3 weeks later...

-I just had a second event as of 1wk ago..  -2yrs post the first.. The comparison has been a big help to me and MY situation..

An answer to my first proor question would be of some help to me, -if possible..

ty

well my bells palsy went away rather quickly, I say 85% gone in 2-3 weeks. But the Steroids put me in a hell I've never experienced before. I know a lot of people will dislike this but the only thing that is helping me is a AD and its working so it is what it is.

Only as my face was healing I started getting pulsing facial muscles, twitches. One night it was the lips, the next night it was my eye lids, it would change every day.

As for brain zaps, it never happened to me, I did get pressure about every 3rd day or so, nothing major.

ty

well my bells palsy went away rather quickly, I say 85% gone in 2-3 weeks. But the Steroids put me in a hell I've never experienced before. I know a lot of people will dislike this but the only thing that is helping me is a AD and its working so it is what it is.

Only as my face was healing I started getting pulsing facial muscles, twitches. One night it was the lips, the next night it was my eye lids, it would change every day.

As for brain zaps, it never happened to me, I did get pressure about every 3rd day or so, nothing major.

Thanks.. -And good for the quick recovery, and I hope the rest follows soon..

Its been the same for me, muscles are back for the second BP event, and the first on the other side is back to where it was, but like you, some neuropathy persists with sensation and some twitches..

The jaw swelling was late to appear, and I have had a hell of a time trying to reduce that..

I ended up using ear drops, -a steroid/antibiotic combo... I also did a 36hr fast, lots of massage with warm packs, -and perhaps a touch of antihistamines helped early on (in my case)..

I guess it depends on what exactly is impacting the facial nerve as to what will help long term (if needed).. Sadly my general Drs havnt been very helpful with working that out, so its best guesses for now..

Hi c-low,

I'm so sorry for what happened to you!

Why did they give you antivirus med?

4mom

Hi 4mom,

no one knows what bells palsy really is. one hypothesis is it is swelling around the nerve that controls motion in the face, for this they give you a steroid

the other hypothesis is it is caused by the same virus as herpes, for this they give you an antivirus medication.

ty

Thanks.. -And good for the quick recovery, and I hope the rest follows soon..

Its been the same for me, muscles are back for the second BP event, and the first on the other side is back to where it was, but like you, some neuropathy persists with sensation and some twitches..

The jaw swelling was late to appear, and I have had a hell of a time trying to reduce that..

I ended up using ear drops, -a steroid/antibiotic combo... I also did a 36hr fast, lots of massage with warm packs, -and perhaps a touch of antihistamines helped early on (in my case)..

I guess it depends on what exactly is impacting the facial nerve as to what will help long term (if needed).. Sadly my general Drs havnt been very helpful with working that out, so its best guesses for now..

after the steroid incident I looked up how to help my bells and CBD oil kept coming up, I already had some that I tried for my PAWS so I took it, did it work? not sure but I did seem to heel quite fast

Hi c-low,

4mom

Hi 4mom,

no one knows what bells palsy really is. one hypothesis is it is swelling around the nerve that controls motion in the face, for this they give you a steroid

the other hypothesis is it is caused by the same virus as herpes, for this they give you an antivirus medication.

I counted about 6 of these “hypothesis pathways” reading around, -it really is a grey area of modern medicine..

Here in Aust. they seem to have moved away from the antivirus, but perhaps thats determined by the bloods they usually draw..? Hell, given what happened this time, Id say they have moved away from seeing patients period.. :(

C-Low, how are you doing overall now..??

-My head came clear today, better than in a long time, so I hope your back on track real soon..

Steroids is how I ended up taking benzodiazepines in the first place. I had a freak allergic reaction, took steroids and they triggered anxiety.

Hi c-low,

4mom

Hi 4mom,

I counted about 6 of these “hypothesis pathways” reading around, -it really is a grey area of modern medicine..

Here in Aust. they seem to have moved away from the antivirus, but perhaps thats determined by the bloods they usually draw..? Hell, given what happened this time, Id say they have moved away from seeing patients period.. :(

-My head came clear today, better than in a long time, so I hope your back on track real soon..

Sadly I'm not well, I can't stop pacing and I'm in a panic attack for the majority of the day, I really don't know what to do, I've been this way for 2 months now

Steroids is how I ended up taking benzodiazepines in the first place. I had a freak allergic reaction, took steroids and they triggered anxiety.

Restoration123, how long did it take for the anxiety to clear up? I guess you took benzos so you dont really know, I was good before the steroid, its been 2 months with no improvement, I'm not well

CLow, unfortunately I can’t answer your question ... I had the allergic reaction, took steroids, became anxious (I didn’t know anxiety could be a side effect of steroids) ... Then I took benzos to relieve the anxiety and almost immediately started to experience interdose withdrawal, which triggered more anxiety ... then I cold turkeyed  and went into acute. ugh! I began to get better only when I stopped taking both the steroids and the benzodiazepines ....

I’m sorry you’re going through this, but it sounds like you’re having a reaction to the steroids so there is a reasonable explanation. Hang in there! It’s awful I know, but you will get better!

Hi c-low,

4mom

Hi 4mom,

Sadly I'm not well, I can't stop pacing and I'm in a panic attack for the majority of the day, I really don't know what to do, I've been this way for 2 months now

Sorry to hear, I hope things settle soon..

I also spoke a bit soon, -some strong waves of anxiety, shakes, and vibrations.. The window bits are pretty clear though, better than my normal ok times..

Hang in there..

CLow, unfortunately I can’t answer your question ... I had the allergic reaction, took steroids, became anxious (I didn’t know anxiety could be a side effect of steroids) ... Then I took benzos to relieve the anxiety and almost immediately started to experience interdose withdrawal, which triggered more anxiety ... then I cold turkeyed  and went into acute. ugh! I began to get better only when I stopped taking both the steroids and the benzodiazepines ....

I’m sorry you’re going through this, but it sounds like you’re having a reaction to the steroids so there is a reasonable explanation. Hang in there! It’s awful I know, but you will get better!

How long did your reaction to the steroids go one for? How long until your anxiety settled down?

It’s difficult to remember because it’s just such a blur ... but after I stopped both the steroids and the benzo, the anxiety did fade away and it didn’t hang around for too long. I think the worst of it was probably the first month or two. I did get a lot better and so will you. You just have to keep telling yourself that your anxiety is chemical and therefore temporary.