Doc refused Ashton manual taper

[Le...]

Feeling extremely frustrated. Just got back from my psychiatrist appointment. I asked her if we could use the Ashton manuals guidelines to help me tape her off Klonopin. She said that having me on both Klonopin and the Valium was too dangerous so I just have to keep making cuts to the Klonopin. She just took me from .5 twice a day to .25 3 times a day. She also suggested that I find a treatment facility for a month. One we can’t afford it even with insurance, too I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about being forced to taper far too quickly facilities like that. I’m absolutely terrified and don’t know what to do. Advice appreciated.

I just read your opening post, you've had a rough time, I wish your current Dr could understand that she's not doing you any favors by tapering you quickly, especially with your seizure history.

Its common for Drs to resist crossing their patients to Valium, I'm sorry you were met with ignorance, her suggestion to enter a treatment facility also showed her ignorance of the challenges of coming off these drugs. 

We can help you do this so lets get started okay and please don't worry about tapering off of Klonopin, we have many members who have been successful and you will be too.

Your current dose is 1 mg and she just cut you to .75?  What is your supply of pills like, do you have enough to do your taper your way?  What symptoms do you have, are you in tolerance, did she switch to to 3 times a day because of interdose withdrawal?

If you could put your medication history into your signature it would help us help you.  Here are the instructions.  Add your history/signature 

Try not to worry, that only makes symptoms worse so hang in there with us, okay?

[ac...]
The crossover to valium probably isn't that important for your taper.  Plenty of people (perhaps most people these days) simply taper klonopin directly.  However, I don't like the 25% reduction (and I'm guessing your p-doc will want a 33% reduction next time around).

• 3 weeks later...

Feeling extremely frustrated. Just got back from my psychiatrist appointment. I asked her if we could use the Ashton manuals guidelines to help me tape her off Klonopin. She said that having me on both Klonopin and the Valium was too dangerous so I just have to keep making cuts to the Klonopin. She just took me from .5 twice a day to .25 3 times a day. She also suggested that I find a treatment facility for a month. One we can’t afford it even with insurance, too I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about being forced to taper far too quickly facilities like that. I’m absolutely terrified and don’t know what to do. Advice appreciated.

I suggest you change your doctor.

You will need much longer than a month.

Reducing to quickly will just cause you to be ill for longer.

Your need to be on one benzodiazepine because they all have different rates of time that they are in the body, as the Ashton manual explains.