Is Clonazepam the worst for WD

[Ni...]

It's not one I've taken, but reading around the board this seems to be the one which gives the worst WD. I can see why is been prescribed due to its long action, but its this also leading to more protracted WD.

It seems to me the more you get when on benzos, the worst you have to pay back.

[f1...]

I think everybody thinks the benzo that they're on is the worst for WD.  Klonopin's a really popular benzo, so a lot of people suffer withdrawal from it.  That may explain the claims that it's the worst. 

I wouldn't say that one benzo is easier than another, else everybody would cross-over to the easier one. 

Ones with a short half life are the worst but they're all bad. All of them cause damage to the brain and nerves.

• 5 weeks later...

It's not one I've taken, but reading around the board this seems to be the one which gives the worst WD. I can see why is been prescribed due to its long action, but its this also leading to more protracted WD.

Yes, it is absolutely the worst, and not just because I'm not it. Klonopin binds more tightly to GABA A than all of the other benzos. Even Heather Ashton mentions in her manual that some Klonopin patients don't do well switching over to Valium. This is because Valium is extremely weak compared to Klonopin. It's just a fact.

Yes, it is absolutely the worst, and not just because I'm not it. Klonopin binds more tightly to GABA A than all of the other benzos. Even Heather Ashton mentions in her manual that some Klonopin patients don't do well switching over to Valium. This is because Valium is extremely weak compared to Klonopin. It's just a fact.

It is incorrect that klonopin binds more tightly than all other benzos. And Heather Ashton stresses the importance of switching to Valium from Klonopin as well as other benzos.

It is incorrect that klonopin binds more tightly than all other benzos. And Heather Ashton stresses the importance of switching to Valium from Klonopin as well as other benzos.

It does bind tighter and it is in the Ashton manual that some Klonopin patients cannot switch to Valium. I can find the exact quote if you'd like. Would you like me to find that quote for you?

Also, Heather Ashton had very few Klonopin patients back then, relatively speaking, and so Ativan would definitely be second in terms of hardest to get off of.

Here you go, Maugham.

From the Ashton Manual:

"Some people, however, appear to have particular difficulty in switching from Klonopin to diazepam. In such

cases it is possible to have special capsules made up containing small doses, e.g. an eighth or

a sixteenth of a milligram or less, which can be used to make gradual dosage reductions

straight from Klonopin. These capsules require a doctor's prescription and can be made up by

hospital pharmacists and some chemists in the UK, and by compounding pharmacists in North

America."

Clonazepam is certainly the worst benzo I've ever withdrawn from. But then it's the only benzo I've ever withdrawn from.

I can only speak from my own experience, and actually, according to forum rules, I believe I'm only allowed to speak from my own experience.

But apparently Dr Heather Ashton and Prof Malcolm Lader both believed Ativan (Lorazepam) was particularly difficult to withdraw from.

Or at least that's what they believed in 1987. Here they are in a BBC documentary talking about that:

Back in 1987 Klonopin was almost always only prescribed as an anticonvulsant to epileptics. It didn't get FDA approval to be used for anxiety until later.

Here you go, Maugham.

From the Ashton Manual:

"Some people, however, appear to have particular difficulty in switching from Klonopin to diazepam. In such

cases it is possible to have special capsules made up containing small doses, e.g. an eighth or

a sixteenth of a milligram or less, which can be used to make gradual dosage reductions

straight from Klonopin. These capsules require a doctor's prescription and can be made up by

hospital pharmacists and some chemists in the UK, and by compounding pharmacists in North

America."

This doesn’t state anything about it binding more or less to Gaba receptors.  It simply explains about compounding pharmacies to help the tapering process.  I believe that people have issues with switching because of different mechanisms of action. Each benzo works on different neurological pathways.  For instance diazepam blocks the production of DAO. Where clonazepam does not. People also have issues switching from Ativan to clonazepam. It’s really all individually based.

Here you go, Maugham.

From the Ashton Manual:

America."

This doesn’t state anything about it binding more or less to Gaba receptors.  It simply explains about compounding pharmacies to help the tapering process.  I believe that people have issues with switching because of different mechanisms of action. Each benzo works on different neurological pathways.  For instance diazepam blocks the production of DAO. Where clonazepam does not. People also have issues switching from Ativan to clonazepam. It’s really all individually based.

The general thought is that shorter-acting benzos such as xanax, ativan and klonopin are harder to taper because they cause interdose withdrawal. While it is true that some benzos are more potent than others, this is irrelevant for tapering as long as equivalent doses are taken. I'm not sure about benozs binding DAO or other enzymes/receptors in vivo in a real world scenario. Some people have a hard time switching to valium but this appears to be a minority based on Ashton.

Here you go, Maugham.

From the Ashton Manual:

America."

I didn't say I was providing a quote for the fact that Klonopin binds more tightly to Gaba A ( I would have to dig that out). I said I was providing a quote regarding what Heather Ashton said about some Klonopin patients having a harder time switching to Valium. I'm going to agree with Ashton on this one  :thumbsup: