microdosing mirtazapine success

[71...]

[71...]

I just wanted to post this success in case it might help someone. I have been waking about every hour, usually with a few minutes of anxiety then insomnia. Although I can accumulate 5-6 hours of sleep, it doesn't feel very restorative.

I have tried most things (trazadone, doxylamine, hydroxyzine, etc), but last night decided to try a tiny dose (about 0.8mg - a 7.5 tablet spit in half, then the half in half then that half in half!) I allowed my body to get natural sleep (waking every hour starting at 11 until 2) and then at 2 took the microdose. I then was able to sleep four hours with one very brief wake up with no anxiety. This was a huge improvement over waking three more times and getting up at 5am! I had tried 1.65mg mirtazepine and the severe hangover caused depression the next day. The hangover with 0.8mg is minimal - maybe an hour or two of slight fog.

My hope is that this very low dose is not something that needs to be tapered (I know mirtazapine does even with short-term use). I plan to try to use it only 2-3 times a week just to give myself a break from sleep stress to further reduce the chance of it losing its benefit.

I hope maybe this helps someone!

[dc...]

I'm alternating between 3.75mg Mirtazapine and 20mg of THC every 2 weeks.

The last Mirtazapine stint I did was 1 and 1/2 months and I CT off 3.75mg, with the only side effects being headaches for the next 2 days.

I doubt 0.8mg is going to require tapering, unless you are on it for very long.

[dc...]

Andros01 - thank you so much! That is so reassuring! I might try it nightly, I am just afraid it will stop working. Unisom used to be great at 1/4 to 1/2 tablet, but now does nothing after using it for about 6 weeks. I didn't want to increase further, so I switched to mirtazapine.

I tried CBN + THC sublingual tablets and it seemed to increase my anxiety :-( I wish I could use it, but after 3 unsuccessful trials, I am afraid to try again. I also tried CBD but I feel like it either does nothing or makes me feel weird.

Mirtazapine is so much stronger than Unisom. 3.75 of Mirt (about 1/4 of a tab) works for me just about as well as a full tab of Unisom. I bought some Unisom but ended up not using it, as I have a decently large stash of Mirt to last me for a few months (and since I'm cycling it, the use is even less).

If you're just using 0.8mg, you can probably get away with daily use and bump it up to 1.6mg if it stops working. Then if you want to be safe, you can probably taper it for 2 weeks.

CBD on it's own won't do anything. I've had to take large doses (150mg or higher) to get a drowsy effect. But if I mix it with THC I get a good synergistic effect. Never tried CBN, so no idea on that one. I'm sorry it doesn't work for you. I get zero anxiety from it (THC and CBD), just drowsiness.